From what I've read in the previews so far their seem to be 4 possible results in combat.
Either you Hit for Damage, you Miss, you make one or more opposing units Rout or you may use your unit's Special Ability ( Orb)
I was wondering how ever what the odds would be of each of those results happening.
This is my guess so far.
Triangle Units Miss 40% of the time ( confirmed in the previews) which leaves 60% for the other three results
which will break down IMO like : Rout 10% - Orb 20% - Hit 30% ( for 1 confirmed damage, no more )
Circle units are described as being as fragile as Triangle Units - meaning they'll usually have just 1 HP as well
but " their special abilities are triggered twice as often".
Circle units also seem to be more of the wizard - priest - hero type units, so my guess is they'll break down like this
Rout 10% - Hit 20% - Miss 30% - Orb 40%
"Rectangle Units successfully attack more often than Triangle Units" which leads me to
Rout 10% - Miss 20% - Orb 30% - Hit 40%
There are quite a few Routing effects among different units' special abilities that's why I figure the "base" routing percentage will be low.
" Hexagon units succesfully attack more often than rectangle units " leads to
Miss 10% - Orb 20% - Rout 30% - Hit 40%
All of this is just wild speculation of course and just goes to prove how much I'm looking forward to this promising game
PS I think that a figure that is "routed" remains in the same area as the battle but is put "on its back" ( flat ) indicating it cannot participate in the battle anymore. This would make some of the wording about " standing units" meaningful.