Photo

Can Mandy Thompson's ability be used for "roll a dice"?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dawgman72

Dawgman72

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

This may be an easy answer but I am interested in how other players interpret Mandy Thompson's ability...

When a Location, Other World or Mythos card states "roll a die, and on a sucess X happens and on a failure Y happens" can Mandy's re-roll ablility (or clue tokens for that matter) be used for this check?

Her card states that she can re-roll any failed skill check die....So the real question is this considered a skill check?...We've had some disagreements on this so I bring it to you for a ruling

Thanks as always for this great forum, hopefully this new forum format won't affect the great Q & A's

#2 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

Sense those are not skill checks clues nor Mandy may not be used.

#3 Foxburr

Foxburr

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

I think it would be helpful if a specific example or two were provided.  Off the top of my head, almost all of these dice rolls are framed as skill checks, i.e., make a Luck(-2) check.  Obviously, Mandy's ability works with these rolls. I'm sure you are not referring to these sorts of dice rolls.

Looking through some cards, I came across The Man in Black Mythos card, which is an Environment (Mystic) card.  This says investigators who end movement in the French Hill streets may deal with the Man in Black by rolling dice equal to their current sanity.  This is not framed as a skill check, so I would not allow Mandy's ability to apply in this instance.

Another Mythos card that is not framed as a skill check is the Rumor Return to the Old Ways.  Using a common item requires a die roll.  On a 1 or 2, it falls apart before it can be used and must be discarded. Again, I would not allow Mandy to cause a re-roll.

#4 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:37 AM

If the encounter/card/ability states that a skill check is involved, Mandy's ability can be used. If it simply asks for a die or dice to be rolled, this is not a skill check so Mandy could not use her ability.

#5 Ozzy

Ozzy

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:42 AM

David, You have been "Hawk Twelved"!!

No seriously folks. If our team score does post as "38 pts" for scenario 1 (team "Hawk Twelved") then it will have to be disregarded. I did forward a request to J.Goodwin to not post that score card to our team due to our apparent miss-use of Mandy Thompson's re-roll on 3 AH encounters at the South Church to remove a doom token. We appreciate the rules discussions that are offered through this resource, as we strive to only post scores that reflect the observance of the rules.

- Rich

#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 12:14 PM

Ozzy said:

David, You have been "Hawk Twelved"!!

No seriously folks. If our team score does post as "38 pts" for scenario 1 (team "Hawk Twelved") then it will have to be disregarded. I did forward a request to J.Goodwin to not post that score card to our team due to our apparent miss-use of Mandy Thompson's re-roll on 3 AH encounters at the South Church to remove a doom token. We appreciate the rules discussions that are offered through this resource, as we strive to only post scores that reflect the observance of the rules.

- Rich

::Laughter:: wouldn't *that* have been nice if it were legal.

#7 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:27 PM

as a long time Mandy player I agree. Without her we would never have got through a lot of the league scenarios.

very honest Ozzy regarding your scores. I wonder if some of the other teams have also misinterpreted the rules and got a great score - not intentionally of course! I wonder how some of them are humanly possible....

the only mistakes we have made have not been in our favour so made the scenarios harder to play! we were putting up the terror level and returning outskirts monsters to the cup 1 monster too early....

#8 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:13 PM

It's very possible to gain near perfect scores if you're willing to do eight player teams and exploit game dynamics (and have games that last nearly ten hours).  How do I know?  I did it for the first two rounds before I got sick of it :')

#9 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 01:42 AM

I can believe it for the 8 player teams but not for the 2......

then again I am not prepared to dissect every card turn etc until there is no fun left in the game.

#10 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 03:58 PM

It's theoretically possible, especially if you exploit the game restart dynamic and rationalize that in infinite games you could have whichever items you want as starting items ;') and start off with preselected starting equipment ;')  If I were to do that with two players, hmmm, I'm probably play darrell, get healingstone and the dragon's eye, camp on the church, and have the other player take care of gates.  It'd be easily doable for the first two scenarios...  If a two player team got a perfect score on scenario three ;') I'd say they're cheating (in a way that makes this unfair exploit sound fair).

#11 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Hrm...  Even without cheating, if you use Darrell it shouldn't be *too* hard in the first couple scenarios.  Just camp at the Curiosity Shop for the encounter that lets you search for any unique but become cursed, get the dragon's eye, then do it again with the dragon's eye to get a healing stone, then just hang out at south church for the rest of the game while your ally does all the point collecting.

#12 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

With the base set only, it's doable.  Not so doable once you add in expansions though.

#13 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,575 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:06 PM

Blarg.  I was looking at the scores.  The highest are 25/32.  That's cake :'  You play a Darrell/Mandy team and you can crush those scores in the first two scenarios.

#14 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

I agree that scenario 1 and 2 you can get a great score for. Scenario 3 however.......

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS