vs Arkham Horror?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:51 AM

If I had to choose one, should I go for this game or Arkham Horror? I see similarities...

#2 AMBusam

AMBusam

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:38 AM

Besides the fact that both have horror elements, what similarities do you see?

#3 bikinilord

bikinilord

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:45 AM

As I saw from this forum Arkham is a must have! No one writes something big for Dracula.

#4 Grixnair

Grixnair

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:20 AM

I personally have both Dracula and Arkham Horror and AH gets played much more often.  But then, my wife loves Arkham and is reluctant to give Dracula an honest try.

She got frustrated with trying to find Dracula pretty early on and hasn't really wanted to play it since.

I'm a big fan of both, but I do find the Arkham is a much richer game.

#5 AMBusam

AMBusam

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:50 AM

I'm a fan of both as well, but they are really two very different games with very different play styles. 'Monopoly' and 'Acquire' both have a financial theme but they can't really be compared on the same plane. I'd like to help the thread starter out, but unless he can give me some data to work with he might as well be asking which color he should like better.

#6 The GIT!

The GIT!

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 06:20 AM

Both games are great. My group loves both games - it really depends on whether we're in a "screw with each other" frame of mind or whether we're in a "let's work togther" frame of mind. Whilst there is certainly an element of cooperation in FoD there's also a highly competitive edge against the player running Dracula. AH on the other hand is a purely co-op with the players fighting the game.

I also find that some players new to FoD are uncomfortable with the fact that they have to search for Dracula and they perceive this to be a weakness in the game. My group doesn't have this problem and we get a great kick out of using strategy and tactics whilst the Dracula player slowly sweats wondering if his plan will succeed or not.

Truth be told I really prefer FoD but we play AH a hell of a lot and both games are, IMHO, must haves. 

#7 sshawmd

sshawmd

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 12:07 PM

I also love both games, and agree that the two games can almost not be compared.  They are both extremely evocative of their themes (an FFG specialty), and last a similar amount of time (perhaps Fury is a bit shorter at 2-2.5 hours in my experience).

Remember that Fury is largely a deduction game, and one of cat/mouse, with one player playing the "enemy," such that it is not a true co-op.   Playing Drac can be challenging, but you get better with experience -- timing is of the essence.  For me, playing Dracula against the heroes is great (even if I lose) -- and a better experience than playing Arkham.  But thats just me.

Arkham is a true co-op, and is very fiddly (I dont mind this so much, but many do).  It gets better with an expansion or two, so if you are not prepared to buy King in Yellow and/or Dunwich, replayability declines just a little bit, but youll still get plenty out of the base game.  Im a little put off by the skill-sliders on each character, and think that abilities could have been handled better.  The text on all of the cards, the different monsters, the experiences in different dimensions, and the HIGHLY variable gaming experience when adding expansions, playing with different GOOs/Heralds/Guardians, and invoking differenct optional rules (like wounds, corruption, etc) make this game an extremely replayable "toolkit" when you own all of it!

#8 timeLESS

timeLESS

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

The weird thing is, even though Arkham Horror is truly a monster of a game with all the expansions and whatnot, you will probably play it much more often thn Fury of Dracula. Fury of Dracula is a great game as is Arkham Horror, and they both take some time to play (read 4 hours?). Still it feels easier to get Arkham Horror to the table then you would get FoD. Fury can be quite an intensive game. Not in bookkeeping like Arkham, but in the play itself. Deducing Dracula's movement and double guessing the Hunters for 4 straight hours can be uhmm tiring. In a good way, but tiring nonetheless. Fury is truly that game you get out on special occassion like Halloween and other Horror-themed nights and people will probably enjoy it and talk about moments in the game but next week , they'll play Arkham Horror, because while AH looks really heavy its much more let-go and just enjoy the show type-of play.

So there's some totally personal advice for you. They're both great games. and you wont regret buying either but id say get Arkham Horror for value vs play, and then get FoD sometime later when you hit the jackpot and you will have a serious quality game perfect for those special occassions that people will remember.

#9 Salanthas

Salanthas

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 06:37 AM

Well, both games are great, but our play group really loves competition and playing against each other, and so Arkham Horror never really did find a place in our regular boardgame-evenings. I dont know why, we all love the Cthulhu-background in Arkham Horror and the effect to refind something from Lovecrafts books in the game is always really nice, but after a few games we all get bored of playing against the game itself with the random movements and so on...

I really think this is the key, which game is the best for you and your group. Find out if they prefer playing AGAINST or together  which each other.

#10 Fabs

Fabs

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 05:26 AM

Both great games - I have a personal preferences for Dracula, as do the rest of my gaming group, but they are different beasts.

Arkham is a game where you and your friends are trying to beat the board/scenario.

Dracula is where you and your friends are trying to beat the dracula player. Whenever I teach people to play Fury of Dracula, the only rules they need to understand is turn sequence and movement - all the rest is intuative. And i spend my time saying 'Don't worry about the rules, don't worry about what can happen - just try to think what you think he (pointing at the Dracula player) might be doing!'. It's a game of second guessing your gaming friends ;)

#11 flervk

flervk

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:42 PM

silenceindigo said:

If I had to choose one, should I go for this game or Arkham Horror? I see similarities...

I had exactly the same dilemma;

after reading a bit, decision is made: buy both :)

#12 Svavelvinter

Svavelvinter

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

I think one big reason why Arkham Horror has so many post in the forum is the fact that the game really has a ton of strange rules and situations that isn't really well-explained in the normal rules (or the FAQ that came later on).

Dracula is much easier to grip and play so people might not discuss the game as much but that doesn't make it a bad game...

#13 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,292 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 03:04 AM

Svavelvinter said:

I think one big reason why Arkham Horror has so many post in the forum is the fact that the game really has a ton of strange rules and situations that isn't really well-explained in the normal rules (or the FAQ that came later on).

Dracula is much easier to grip and play so people might not discuss the game as much but that doesn't make it a bad game...

Of course, AH has base game + 5 expansions vs FoD base game, so there is a lot more material in AH which naturally leads to more rule discussions. Not saying FoD is a bad game either, just making an observation.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#14 Count Crapula

Count Crapula

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

AH (with expansions) is simply a HUGE game, and in my opinion one of the best ever made. I also enjoy FoD. They are both co-operative games (except for the Count of course). Arkham is full of depth, luck and a lot of player interaction. Fury is to me, more of a mind game, trying to outguess the Dracula player. AH plays great as a slolitaire game, as an added bonus.

The obvious solution is to buy both. You won't regret the decision for a moment.

Good gaming,

Count Crapula

#15 Svavelvinter

Svavelvinter

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 04:10 AM

You have to ask yourself what are your future plans? Is it only a matter of time before you buy the both of them or do you really have to choose only one?

If you might buy both later on then I say start with Dracula, since it's easier to grasp and explain to fellow players if they are unfamiliar with the complexity of Fantasy Flight Games... 

If you have to choose only one then I say get Arkham Horror. If you choose Dracula you will constantly ask youself what you might be missing or why so many people keep praising this great game. Keep in mind though that if you buy the basegame of Arkham Horror it is only a matter of time before you start glimpsing at the expansions as well. This will suck your wallet dry to get them all but it's worth it in the long run. Do however, play the basegame a couple of times first to get a feeling for the game and do involve your friends before you toss all the expansions into the pile. Also rember that Arkham Horro as of today rarely work with all the expansions at once. It's much better to add 1 or 2 and stick with those for a while before changing into other expansions based on what kind of game you seek.

#16 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 03:13 PM

I have both games as others have said they do provide diffrent experiences,it depends what your looking for in a game as to which you prefer.AH does get a lot more attention as its a more complex game (even without the expansions)and it has the whole Lovecraft Mythos going for it.

Drac is limited to 1 book as background & although some alternative Vampires & Hunters are given at BGG your still chasing a Vampire around Europe.It's still a great game so get both.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#17 samoan

samoan

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:58 PM

Personally Arkham Horror is one of my favorite games of all time, but it is really hard to get people to play it since they either love it or hate it. Also it can be very long. Fury of Dracula I don't think is as good as Arkham horror but it is still very good and you would probably get more people interested in playing it, so my suggestion is find out what your group would want to play. Then get that one first. In the end get both.

#18 Nightfox44

Nightfox44

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:52 AM

Personally, I do like bolth games but as stated before by the others Arkam is more of a team oriented game and all the players play against the game, which is nice so either everyone wins or loses. FOD is more us against him and is fun but can have its problems if the dracula player seems like he is overwhelmed especially if he is new. But they can bolth have there pluses and minuses and Arkham can have more expansion with extra box sets so it can change its difficulty. My players like the Us against the board concept alot. The thing I have noticed is that if you have a good player playing Dracula FOD can be really alot of fun. Also there is somone who did a few new cards and new dracula bad guys on Boardgamegeek web site under FOD. They did some new weapon cards for hunters  a couple of differant types of characters to play Dracula and some new Hunters as well. I havent tried them yet but they look cool if your looking for something a little differant for you FOD game. I was also able to pick up my FOD cheaper from some one who didn't like it. Which on a tight gaming budget is a Big plus.

#19 Wanderer999

Wanderer999

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:42 PM

My ultimate statement:

Fury of Dracula best point is that you are playing against a LIVE brain! If the Dracula player is very good, u will have one hell of a BLAST! I cast my vote on FoD over AH.

AH is when u wish to cooperate with ur good buddies to beat an AI. But sometimes it feels 'dead' and u are all really just going up against an imaginary foe.

All in all, the game u choose depends on whether ur gaming group has great strategists or not. A very strong individual can make FoD really damn fun. In my own opinion, Descent is the all-time best game. Nothing comes close.

#20 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 05:20 AM

I have both, but prefer Arkham by far. Dracula is a good game, but it doesn't get played often. The good thing about Arkham is that even if you don't have anyone to play it with sometimes, ,you can play it solo and enjoy it a lot.. If you've got all expansions, the number of possibilities  and game effect combos is staggering. The game can be quite random, since a lot gets decided by what cards you draw, so no two games are alike, even if you play  with the same party of investigators. The real trick is to be able to make the best out of what you've been dealt.

On the downside, Arkham Horror is probably the most card-heavy game I've ever played, so it takes some time to set up and shuffle all decks. And if you play with all expansions, it may prove  difficult to keep track of all game elements. In fact, this  may be true even with the base game alone.Arkham Horror has a steep learning curve, but it's worth the time and money investment, in my opinion. Once you get the hang of it, the gameplay becomes quite intuitive.

Eventually, it depends what you prefer-  a competitive game(Fury of Dracula) or a cooperative game that can be also played solo(AH)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS