Shudde M'ell earthquake destroys bank

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Riggler

Riggler

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:54 AM

Last night, we played with four investigators. We took loans at the bank early in the game. Shudde M'ell was the GOO. We only had two buildings destroyed by earthquakes the whole game, the first one being the bank. There was a question raised about whether the two bank loans would require us to continue to pay interest if the bank was destroyed.

The guy I was playing with suggested the bank loans would go away with the bank. I contended that the bank's loan collection was actually in Boston and they demanded their interest payments. I searched for an official response on this or even a concensus, but couldn't find one. Do you guys have an answer or opinion?

By the way, we STOMPED Shudde M'ell with four investigators (the magician, the musician, the psychic and the researcher). We played with only the BASE plus KIY. We did NOT play with the KIY herald. The only additions to that were injury/maddness cards and obviously Shudde M'ell. Our biggest weakness early on was the lack of any physical weaponry at all and several magical immunity/resistant monsters. But two things made this game a cakewalk: the psychic and the spell "Arcane Insight." With what was essentially three "magic-users" in the group with the fourth not being too shabby at it either, we were essentially controlling what mythos card we got every round. We consolidated the "Arcane Insight" with two tomes (tomes give a +1 each to the casting check which starts off with a -4). By the end we had three tomes with the user of "Arcane Insight." That spell was traded around so much that it ended up being used by 3 of the 4 investigators at some point. Trading of materials was frequent as we felt like we had plenty of time to do whatever needed to be done because we always knew what was coming.

#2 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:31 AM

My votes goes to Bank Loans act as normal.

#3 Argonel

Argonel

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:31 AM

My opinion would be that the destruction of the bank would not affect the bank loans.  This obviously has the side effect that you can't pay off the loan making the game harder and reducing your final score (if scoring matters to you).

#4 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:47 AM

The bank loans still act as normal. The bank location is merely a branch of the bank. So the loan must still be checked for and can still be repaid (for scoring purposes).

#5 kilrah

kilrah

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

If they can get me in anoter time and in the midst of Ryleh - do you think a destroyed bank house will matter?!

#6 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:07 AM

Alan Greenspan - new GOO!

#7 Glasgow Scotland

Glasgow Scotland

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:15 AM

I strongly disagree.

There's no bank.  It's gone.  When someone claims a different bank somewhere else is holding the loan -- really, this is pretty contrived, don't you think? 

If banking activity like repayment ceases, don't forget, there are adverse consequences as well.  For instance, if you happen to need a bank loan, you are out of luck.

This exact question was the subject of a thread on the old forum about one year ago.

Replies in that particular thread were about 50/50.

#8 Acebob

Acebob

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:02 AM

I feel that in any situation where there is some abmgiuity to the rules, the game should be favored over the players. So in a situation like this, its though nails for the investigators.

#9 StarBurn

StarBurn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:24 AM

Bank findes you in another world, it will find you a town away, you just wont be able to pay the loan, seriously sorry.

#10 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

The Bank Loan says nothing on it that the bank has not to be destroyed in order to have to pay it.

There is nothing in the rules or on Shdde Me'll so just assuming you don't have to pay is pushing it.

“Oh look where playing Shudde M'ell lets all get Bank Loans asap because if the Bank is destroyed we don’t have to pay them back.”

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS