I'd be interested to hear what everybody thinks of the various endings and why. Here's what I want to see in an ending:
- Player interaction
- A chance for the runner (or runners) up
So, my favorite rating in order:
- Danse Macabre. This involves interaction with all the other players, it gives them potentially several turns to catch you, and introduces strategic choices in the selection of victims and the use of fate.
- Crown Of Command. This also allows some catch up time. It is interactive, but less so than DM. There are no choices involved.
- Frost Queen. Normally nobody will head for the win till they are a decent favourite against her. There've always been times to head for the centre light (due to competitive reasons), and this ending enhances that dilemma. This is especially true as a hidden ending cause it's the only ending which can bite you in the ass (can I say 'ass here? We do have mules) when you arrive. Fighting a boss monster generally doesn't interact with the players left behind, but does provide an interesting situation with another player on the CoC. You don't always want to take her second last life, but throwing that battle (if possible) could result in turns lost (letting your opponent take two in a row). This version grants at least four turns to catch up, but makes it easier now as you can chase the winner even if they are much stronger than you - as long as you have a chance against the Queen.
- Crown & Scepter. Practically The Blood Bath ending. No choice, no time, not much interaction as your opponents can't heal.
- Warlock Quests/Blood Bath. Let's be clear. I am rating the endings only. You don't play Warlocks Quests for the ending - there is none. You play Warlock Quests for the mid game. I haven't played it yet, but I do think it's very cool! The ending is anticlimactic, but that's worth it for the interesting changes on the rest of the game. Repeat, I love warlock quests for the scenario, just not so much for it's conclusion. The problem with Blood Bath is that the standard ending is quick enough that it won't save much time. Not allowing players to restart would be interesting if winning by killing everyone (without the Command Spell) was a legitimate possibility, but I imagine that would be the exception. The CoC ending with this version isn't much fun.
These endings are new, so my opinions could change. In particular I could see coming to prefer Frost Queen over Crown Of Command. I am going to the home brews section to suggest ways to incorporate WQ with hidden endings - check it out!
I'm thoroughly pleased with the ending options! Though we could use another dangerous ending soon I hope!