Need guidance

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Luced

Luced

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:11 PM

So I just got the Anima core book. I wish I had acces to all of the books, it looks like there is  alot of information or the game.

But Back to what I wanted to ask. So I am mt groups reguler GM/Story Teller/DM or whatever yu want to call it, I run the Game's. I say this gurdgingly as well theres no one ele in my area who's realy good at running game or is willing to, so back to the point once again, sorry.  I ussualy run Exalted by white-wolf publishing, it's what my players like.  I aso ru DnD 2.5-4.0 other whitewolf games, cyberpunk, as well as a handfull of other systems from shadow run to marvel.   Anima has realy cuaght my attention and gives me and my Players I think the opertunity to ahve alot of fun. The problem is theres alot to this sytem and it's very open ended wih is god but I realy dont evan know were to begain. The custome Ki powers seem easily exploitable, the magic system seems fairly reasonble but not sure were the boundries are.  I havnt had a chance to read through the hole thing to the T. 

So does anyone have any suggesions, guidlines tips, tricks, you know anything you can share about your experiances as a player or as a GM.  anything you can suggest to help ease the elarning curve fr he system,  any good story story teleing or concepts that fit well with the system.  Any nice tricks to use while makeing characters?  

Kinda going in blind with this one so yeah every bit of information you can give would be helpfull also anything you can tell me about the system not nessasarily  for running itbtu funnings you know nything.

thankx.

#2 aravol

aravol

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

Heya and welcome to Anima!

As for your falling into the GM's seat, I can sympathise, mainly because I often find myself wanting to try out systems few of my group have heard of, and, well, Anima was one of those that has kept my attention. Anyway, back to the main point...

I think the biggest thing to do is relax. The system might seem overwhelming, but it all flows nicely, and is really just a whole lot of simple mechanics packaged more side-by-side rather than on top of one another. Ki is unlike magic is unlike psionics is unlike Ki, even if they occaisionally appear to be similar, and often times they will overlap. The system might have a huge number of tables and have one of the longest Chargen of any system I've ever seen, but it is also very deep and rewarding, bringing about wildly different characters where similar base concepts originally stood. In the end, the playtime is far, far smoother and simpler than chargen would imply, and the game flows wonderfully once everything's written down.

My advice, read the book over a few days. Take in each of the five supernatural systems [Ki, Magic, psi, Summoning, and Elan] one at a time, as well as the basic combat and character rules, and it should all make sense by the end. Anima is best digested in broken down parts, truthfully. I would note that while it might seem overwhelming, most characters will, at most, only ever specialize in perhaps two of the supernatural areas, and possibly dabble in a third [Wizard Mentalists have to spend their MK eventually], and this brings the complexity down a notch. If you truly aren't comfortable yet with one particular area, don't use it; I specifically took this step with Elan in my first run, unwilling to look up powers and pantheons to track those that might notice the PCs great deeds.

#3 Luced

Luced

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thankx for the help.  I've read through the whole book sevrle times and didnt kno which way was up by the end. I'll try the peace by peace aproach and hopefully should get a better understanding ofthe system. 

Character creation is still a litle confuseing though I sat down and ride to make a tao martail artist and got through it okay but allways seemed like I was missing something couldnt point out what it was though. lots of blank spots on the characte sheet.

any other suggestions?

#4 Skywalker

Skywalker

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 11:38 AM

Luced said:

Character creation is still a litle confuseing though I sat down and ride to make a tao martail artist and got through it okay but allways seemed like I was missing something couldnt point out what it was though. lots of blank spots on the characte sheet.

Roughly 25% of the character sheet is dedicated to Ki, 25% to Magic and 25% to Psychic Powers. A Tao will normally not have Magic or Psychic Powers so expect roughly 50% of the sheet to be blank.

I always thought that Anima needed a PC sheet with 1 main page and 1 page for each of the power types. That way it could be more easily customised cutting down the blank space.

#5 Luced

Luced

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:41 PM

That would be so helpfull.  so fr martal arts it sas you addtogether the affects and pick the highest damage so if one damage is 30 + 5 mod and the other is 20 + 10 mod does that mean my martail art damage is 30 + 15 mod or 30+ 10 mod or do I pick ither 30+5 or 20+10

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS