• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:14 AM

City expansion wish list

*Bow&Arrows

*Neutral Allignment shop

*More different purchase cards

*Adding Sewers

*City adventures with tasks from local villagers to gain gold or other goodies(real adventures)

*War cards between the people of the city and the enemies

*Cards that has to do with the King and his loyal knights.

*More enemies in the City/More adventure

*Dragon Shop..

Feel free to add more..

#2 Cidervampire

Cidervampire

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:32 AM

Beer and prostitutes!

Master Level Characters that are not so easy to get. The High Mage in 2nd edition was way too easy to become based on how powerful he was.

Stables

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:27 AM

From the new City Expansion I expect following things:

* a lot more Purchase Cards divided into many shops (Potions, Scrolls, Weapons, Armours, Miscellaneous Equipment), so that nobody ever complains he has not enough options to spend his Gold!

* Since we're going to have more and more Warlock Quests in the next games, City needs to have something deeper and longer to accomplish in order to get a reward. You may call them Missions, Tasks or something similar. They should be combinations of Warlock Quest typical tasks, such as "Visit the Village Mystic to receive advice, miss a turn in the Desert to meditate, travel to the Cursed Glade, pray at the Temple, discard a Magic Object to perform a ritual, then travel back to the City and receive a reward for having stopped the ancient evil that was about to awake" (ok, too similar to Arkham Horror in the setting, but it's just a quick example). Rewards can be randomly drawn from a Reward Deck, or you can choose to take a certain amount of Gold and Purchase Cards as an alternative.

* I will like a City card deck with City Events, Enemies, Strangers, Objects and Followers. Since the Dungeon Deck is more oriented towards Enemies, City Deck shall be rich in Events, Strangers and Followers (both valuable and crappy).

* "Sewer" or "Cellar" environment is not a bad idea. It might be separated from the main City deck (thus giving us two smaller decks to draw from) and have a lot more Enemies, Objects and dangers, but I prefer that the Dungeon keeps its predominance in terms of Enemy density.

Just consider that the more decks you have, the less cards will be drawn from each one in a single game. I suggest FFG increase the number of decks thus keeping them smaller in future expansions. One player may focus on one deck and try to find a particular card in it, but he'll lose the opportunities given from other decks in the game... this will give the opportunity to plan the gaming experience and make it less dependant from random draw. I think I'll like it.

I proudly recommend to abandon Prestige Classes/Master Levels in FFG edition. The idea of upgrading the Character is simply against the concept of Talisman, where everybody gets a Character to develop until that Character (and no other) can win the game. I never liked the idea you can upgrade your Character to something different (and better), not to mention how cheap it might have been in old City expansions. Drop it, give us something new, focus on Purchase and Missions (or better ideas from other users!).

#4 Tons-Home-rules

Tons-Home-rules

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

City was so long ago for me, and owned by a friend, that I don’t recall the “real” features except for 1 or 2 of the Master Classes. So here are ideas in stream of consciousness manner. Please alter the numbers as needed…

Master Classes

1-They are templates, i.e. titles. It’s a card that adds to your character instead of replacing it. Put them in the “follower” section if you need to know where templates go. Adds 1-3 powers (always 1 spell, discard a spell you don’t want, +1 with favoured weapon) that might or might not stack depending on how powerful it is.

2-You land on the requisite spot, and discard 3 appropriate things (Spells for Master Wizard, 3 weapons for a melee), 2 Magic Items and 5 points of the appropriate Trophy. Then roll on the table. 1-5 something else happens. 6 you become Master Class. You get +1 on table for every 5 pts of Trophy you “overpay”. (Might prevent Fate for that roll)

3-As per the “No, *I* am the best swordsman of the land, not you” quotes, if someone else gets the requirement after you do, s/he summons you and you fight. If upstart wins, s/he can ONLY grab the title card and s/he becomes the Master Wizard, etc... If upstart loses, loses life, etc… as normal. It doesn’t work if the target is in the inner region.

Shops

Most of the new items to sell should have charges, 1-shot, or limited use.

For example, you get bow cards (Can shoot 1 space away from you, at -2 ST) but you need arrow cards as well that are used per shot. i.e. bow + 3 arrows max since 4 items max. Invent a “Quiver” card that can hold 8 arrows. Means, sooner or later, you’ll have to go back to stock up in the city.

Bandages (1 shot heal, or maybe roll, if suck at first aid, say, roll a 1, lose a life instead, etc…)

Why limited use? We don’t want the City to be THE place to be, just a good alternative.

Encounters

I’d say lots of ruffian and thief encounters. Steals your Stuff. Ekor like “runs away if higher than ST 2” but with your sword / item in tow. Items are either discarded, or reappear in the thieves guild where you have to fight / bribe your way through.

Lots of taxes on gold, patrols (can either help or harm based on roll), have a “stock market” like spot where you can permanently gamble (Make it Fate-less since there is a precedent with some cards where you can’t use Fate).

Patrols, maybe, instead of taking a life, will haul you into Jail, and all your stuff goes in the “holding office” (kinda like old style Raiders).

You can have cross matching of cards, with event Cards.

“They’ve breached the Gates!” – Draw main deck adventure cards instead.

“The sewers have broken through!” – Draw Dungeon cards instead.

Lots of strangers. Lots of Toading.

End Game

The Dungeon has an end game spot where you can beat the LoD and maybe land on the CoC. Have a similar mechanism here.

Put a Castle / Mansion area. Put in a requirement to enter, say, maybe King/Queen Quest Cards (I love the Warlock quests). Do X amount of the quests, say, 4 like the Warlock, and you’re granted an audience.

Have a bunch of “move 1” trials like the inner region. Finally, to impress the King/Queen, fight his/her ST/Craft 12/12 (seems to be the standard) Champion.

If win, get a Royal Seal (i.e. a Treasure type card, maybe put it as a title so that Titles are more than just Master Classes, and, frees up the already overloaded 4 spots for equipment.) and, based on how much you win (like the LoD) get Teleported somewhere, 8+ being CoC.

That’s all I can think of, for now, but I’ll add if more comes to mind.

#5 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 12:32 PM

I like some of the ideas from Tons-home-rules..

“They’ve breached the Gates!” – Draw main deck adventure cards instead.

“The sewers have broken through!” – Draw Dungeon cards instead.

i vote for this

The idea about Royal Seals sounds very good.(other words for treasure cards)

I am thinking about real quests ( with artwork) that the king can give you, if you help him with his troubles across the land.

How about checking a army camp, or slaying a beast that  attacks his men, or that the princess is kidnapped and you must find her soon, or quests that has to do with the townpeople who are walking on the mainboard.Or seek the the tomb from the previous king etc at the graveyard and fight the ghost king  or go to the valley of kings etc

*slave market in the city would be also nice

Crucification event : all strangers are crucified

*Key shop in the city( space in the city)

Sells skeleton keys for a huge price !

If you have the skeleton key, it will increase your chance for finding good treasure

If you ever may draw a treasure card, you may look at it, and use the skeleton key to discard it and take the next treasure card.

-

*Madame Star Clairvoyant shop ( space in the city)

You may pay her 1 gold to ignore the first adventure card and draw another one

-

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:38 AM

Let's take a look at the purchase cards from old editions, that we don't have yet

Full Face Helm, Kite Shield, Plate Mail

Two Handed Sword

Great Axe 3G

Bow 2 G  + Quivers 1G

Douchnuts and Pastry ( available with adventure cards from City)

Ideas at the this moment:

Potions, bandages, scrolls, dragon shop etc and more different weapons and armor..

new idea... ( a magic flute). you can use it one time only, and you can teleport to a space in your region

Magic powder. you can evade in your turn ) one time only

potion for armour. It will increase the defence of armour. you may add 1 to the score if you roll for armor( one time only)

#7 Lubricus

Lubricus

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 07:54 PM

Velhart said:

Douchnuts

Are they kept in a douchebag, or what?

#8 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:42 AM

Lubricus said:

Velhart said:

Douchnuts

Are they kept in a douchebag, or what?

haha

i made a mistake with that word it seems..

I mean doughnuts

#9 Old Master

Old Master

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 04:32 PM

Hey Velhart,

You know that this topic can be here for a very long time if FFG and John Goodenough decide to lauch something other than the city as the next big expansion board

As I state in another post, before you invited me to this one, we do need some more ways to spend all the gold available in Taliman, and a city expansion seem the logical way to go about this but I wouldn't be surprise if FFG decided to introduce some new board and ideas for us to spend our gold on 

One thing is certain, if this tread help in the decision to get a city board for Talisman 4er then you can count on my full support for the "Dragon Tower expansion Wish List"

Tons-Home-rules: I'm not too keen on the "master classes"  things, I'm hoping FFG come up with some better concept.

Totally agree with what you say about the "shop", the one-use items would be a good way to keep our gold low and also a great introduction for a greater veriety of items.

Ditto on "encounters" the city should be a dangerous place to go and not an peaceful oasis for character to beef up.

As for the "End Game", as long as it is not the clichee of save the prince or princess from the awful mcbaksjfh monster/demon and bring them back to the castle then it should be ok.

Cidervampire said:

Beer and prostitutes!

Agreed, there should be a rawdy sector in the city where lowlife, thieve and sailor like to hang around after dark

Cheers

#10 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 11:44 PM

Old Master said:

Hey Velhart,

You know that this topic can be here for a very long time if FFG and John Goodenough decide to lauch something other than the city as the next big expansion board

One thing is certain, if this tread help in the decision to get a city board for Talisman 4er then you can count on my full support for the "Dragon Tower expansion Wish List"

I think that we have the City earlier, than the Dragon Expansion+Tower..

I count on your support then

Let's hope that FFG will take a look at the City expansion Wish List, to see what the fans want.

#11 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 08:56 AM

Here's my wishlist (some of which I know others have already suggested):

I would hope to see relatively fewer Enemies, in comparison with Dungeon.  There should be a higher proportion than usual of Strangers, Events and Followers.  Non-magical Objects (including Purchase cards) should be more prevalent than Magic Objects.  Places I'm not sure about, as presumably the City board will have a variety of interesting locations in itself; Place cards should perhaps focus on transitory locations such as market stalls, sideshows, hideouts and secret lairs.  More Treasure cards, to be kept separate or mixed in with the Dungeon Treasures as desired, would be very welcome.

To integrate the City with other Talisman boards, I like the River Barges from 2nd Edition; also I would expect to see a Dungeon Door and Rune Gate.  Cards which allow Adventure cards or Dungeon cards to be drawn while in the City would add a random element (supernatural visitations and monstrous incursions).

If I remember correctly, 2nd and 3rd Edition City expansions have only a single female inhabitant represented on the cards - Dancing Girl.  Please let's have a good variety of female citizens.

Dungeon had five player characters none of which was particularly thematic to the Dungeon; I would expect similar for the City.  Whatever the next expansion is I hope for at least two more female characters (Sprite and Valkyrie?), and at least one other non-human.

2nd Edition's innovations (Law Events, Warrants, Loans, character upgrades) were all interesting ideas but poorly executed.  Would not particularly miss any of them, but would be happy to see them if done well.  The broken armour and weapons cards of 2nd Edition City had a feel-bad factor whenever a player turned one over, so wouldn't miss them.  However, the idea of having to pay 5G to fix some bizarre, powerful contraption in the City (a mechanical war-beast perhaps) would be worth it.

The City might be an ideal set to expand on Alignment and/or Fate (dark and light tokens), since individual behaviour becomes more relevant in an urban environment.  Punishments for casting Spells, fighting etc would be fitting.

I don't think the City board should follow the Dungeon's linear structure, but should follow the 2nd Edition version in allowing more freedom of circulation to give a more authentic sense of the City streets and squares.

More reprints of old cards.

More Toading for everyone!

#12 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:25 AM

I like to see some festival games, where you can use your money to win exciting prizes.

It would also be nice to see a pirate ship there, that you can investigate..or someting else..

How about buying a lantern there, if you want to go into the dungeon..

Or some special rings( fire, ice etc) that you can buy for a expensive price..(fire is usefull against forest, grass type enemies etc

Maybe we can buy some special followers too a slave market( followers that you can only get by buying them..

It are just some ideas...

#13 Shangfu

Shangfu

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 14 November 2009 - 09:53 AM

How about sewers, with an entrance to dungeon? Of course then we would need plague rat enemies, and of course the alligator xD

Haven't played with city so no idea what it was like in earlier editions.

#14 Archdruid

Archdruid

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:51 AM

To continue the ongoing speculation about a possible future City expansion, here's a combined list of the special board spaces from 2nd and 3rd edition Cities which we might expect to appear in a new version: 

Armoury
Enchantress
Doctor's Surgery
Alchemist/Apothecary
Magic Emporium/Guild
Pawnbroker

Prison
Royal Castle
Stables/Horse Market
High Temple
Wharf
Anarchists' Guild
Bank
Inn
Town Square
City Gate (= City space on the main board)

In 3rd edition, the four corner boards all had the same number of spaces (16); on this basis, we might expect a new City expansion to have a similar number of spaces to the Revised 4th Edition Dungeon (ie 29).  In that case, there would be about 14 spaces which read Draw 1, 2 or 3 (similar to Dungeon's Corridors, Tunnels, Caverns and Vaults).

#15 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 04:50 AM

I hope the Bow/Archer crap doesn't find itself into R4th, at least not as it was. It was just confusing and annoying. Make Bows more powerful than standard, but impose a X Gold per use fee on getting their combat bonus (to simulate Arrows/Quarrels).

For characters, some of the staple Talisman characters (staple IMO of course) thus far missing: Barbarian, Halfling, Ranger and Rogue; last a personal favourite of mine, spell-stealing is fun. Wouldn't mind the non-Human Hobgoblin and Satyr either (all from the Talisman Expansion Set). From Talisman Adventure Expansion, the Witch Doctor was a huge favourite of mine. Not sure how well most of those fit in with a City theme, but oh well.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#16 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 06:41 AM

Dam said:

I hope the Bow/Archer crap doesn't find itself into R4th, at least not as it was. It was just confusing and annoying. Make Bows more powerful than standard, but impose a X Gold per use fee on getting their combat bonus (to simulate Arrows/Quarrels).

The Bows and Arrows are not crap. I like them. 

Dam said:

For characters, some of the staple Talisman characters (staple IMO of course) thus far missing: Barbarian, Halfling, Ranger and Rogue; last a personal favourite of mine, spell-stealing is fun. Wouldn't mind the non-Human Hobgoblin and Satyr either (all from the Talisman Expansion Set). From Talisman Adventure Expansion, the Witch Doctor was a huge favourite of mine. Not sure how well most of those fit in with a City theme, but oh well.

I like to see the Valkyrie, Halfling, Witch Elf, and Dragon Slayer from City expansion 2th and 3th back

I think that the Valkyrie needs better abilities. something with spell gaining and weapons together

But Vampire, Chaos Warrior/Sorcerer, Dark Elf, and Dragon Rider, Sprite are still on my list

But a nice theme  of characters for city would be:

Peasant, Vagebond, Wench, and Witch Doctor ( but they are low on my list of characters)

#17 Shadw

Shadw

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:45 AM

So it's been awhile since this topic was started and now Highlands is out.

I would like to see more purchase options, bring back some of the older normal items already mentioned... and yes Dam I like bows and archery, let's bring them back. (And watch the assassin run like the little babe he is...LOL)

I would like to see the Ninja come back and this is a good set for him/her to "appear" in. The Witch Hunter and/or Inquisitor would be be a good one for this set as well.  A modified Pirate would also be nice.

Please, please, please don't let Character upgrades/prestige characters come back.... blah!

More Stranger/Event cards would also be good.... between Dungeon and Highlands there are more than enough encounters to go around.

-Salute

#18 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:56 AM

ML characters are OK if they are handled in the 3rd Ed way (A minor boost) In 2nd Ed they were way too powerful. ML characters would also allow the return of Recruiter, Way of the Lotus, Champion of Chaos and Herald.

Rune Street  (Outside the Mage Guild) - a target for all those Rune Gates would be nice.

Bow and Arrows - a bit awkward for my tastes. Probably best suited to the Forest expansion. (Can I hear the strains of Robin Hood) Perhaps giving them limitted usage might work.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#19 Nemomon

Nemomon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

Just 1. ML Characters like they are in 2nd Edition. Yes, maybe they were powered (and half of them almost impossible to acquire) but also every one had an equal chance to became one. The Magia from Magiczny Miecz featured some cards that allows its user to "dethrone" one Character from ML position, and take his/her position. Funny, that two Conspiracy cards had one gametext, and different images.

Speaking of Magiczny Miecz, it also had some other good cards, like: Iron Letter which allow to ignore City Watch and Warrant cards ; two different Money-Bags (one with 4 gold, and one with 6 gold) with a risk of ending in Donjon (3-6 on D6). Prince's Privilege - for a 1 gold we are granting another Character visiting Donjon (and it has higher priority than Iron Letter) ; Praying Card - we can choose a result of High Temple without rolling a die. Watchman - event card, whenever another Character is breaking the Law in the City, we can send him this City Watch (S: 10), Gremlin - follower, at the start of the turn of another Character, we can move that Character in any direction and number of spaces we want (max 6).

Enter the Talisman Island!

#20 davel

davel

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

I got to thinking the assin starts in the city, as does the philosopher

may be some squres will be linked to charicters who start there

an assasin guild ( pay gold for removing lives off other charicters)

a university ( pay gold for a libary type roll, increase craft)

dave l

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS