Photo

How does this compare to other LotR games?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Hawknight

Hawknight

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

Positives, Negatives, whats the dilly yo?

#2 Veldrin

Veldrin

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:33 AM

The short answer is that there are no other contemerary LotR games out there that covers both the War of the Ring and the struggle of the Fellowship in the same way that War of the Ring does.

The good part about this is that every game you play immerses you intot he world of Tolkien and you can feel the events from the books and the events that could have happened capture you as strongly as any Peter Jacksson movie  can.

The not so good part is that it is a game that needs a serious investment in time, both to learn and to play.

Personally I would tell you that there are no other game out there that comes close to capturing the feeling of Middle Earth like this one and it is possibly THE greatest game.

Empire: 11 TIE Fighters, 6 TIE Interceptors, 3 TIE Bombers, 2 Firesprays, 2 TIE Adv., 1 Lambda, 2 TIE Phantoms, and 2 TIE Defenders

Rebel Alliance: 6 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings, 2 A-Wings, 2 B-Wings, 1 YT-1300, 1 HWK-290, 2 E-Wings, 4 Z-95s, and 1 GR-75 Transport

Have a look at my X-Wing blog over at TeamCovenant

#3 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

The battles are a little simplistic and reliant on luck for my tastes, so it doesn't make it to THE greatest game in my book. Just really close.

But it is seriously a very good game that takes things to the epic level. You have the broad sweeping view of the War of the Ring, and that is what I love.

No other game really gives you this near-perfect balance in zoom level. Some war games are zoomed out farther, and are too abstract, without enough player control. Other games are zoomed in, but are no longer able to give you the overall view of the entire war. War of the Ring is nearly perfect.

There are other games that focus exclusively on the Fellowship, but I'm not as big a fan of those.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS