Questions from a newcomer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:33 AM

Played my first game today. Chaos (me) vs Empire (friend)
Chaos won. But I must say Empire has some nifty advantages. Though it does seem to lack some offensiveness while Chaos seems a bit horde orientated atm with a corruption edge that still needs to be developped.

In any case a few stupid questions, but I just want to be sure:

- If the battlefields, questzone,... is destroyed, are the units present destroyed also?

- Attacking monsters tap and cannot defend afterwards? 

- an ability that says quest: something something, can only be used in the Quest area?

- Wound allocation: Some cards can prevent one wound or redirect one etc. Is it possible to pile up wounds there to the maximum, taking it into account or is wound allocation handled in the same way as with toughness?

#2 Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:58 AM

Darthvegeta800 said:

Played my first game today. Chaos (me) vs Empire (friend)
Chaos won. But I must say Empire has some nifty advantages. Though it does seem to lack some offensiveness while Chaos seems a bit horde orientated atm with a corruption edge that still needs to be developped.

In any case a few stupid questions, but I just want to be sure:

- If the battlefields, questzone,... is destroyed, are the units present destroyed also?

- Attacking monsters tap and cannot defend afterwards? 

- an ability that says quest: something something, can only be used in the Quest area?

- Wound allocation: Some cards can prevent one wound or redirect one etc. Is it possible to pile up wounds there to the maximum, taking it into account or is wound allocation handled in the same way as with toughness?

1. No, a burning zone is still usable, all the units and developments remain in play, assuming they werent destroyed by the attack that took out the capital.

2. Nothing taps in this game, except when it is corrupted, but it isn't tapped as such.

3. If it says Quest or whatever in italics then the special ability or action can only be used while the unit is in that zone. If it says Battlefield only i.e. defenders of the hold for the dwarves it can only be played to that zone.

4. Not sure what you are asking with this. You can assign more damage to a unit if you want to. So if you suspect that a unit might cancel some damage you can assign more than it has in hit points.

Hope that helps. 

#3 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:26 AM

Many thanks!

-> as for the damage thing. I believe first all units were to get a specific amount of damage assigned to it equally the total health it has, before extra damage could be assigned. To overcome endurance but... also damage redirection abilities innate to a card?

#4 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:55 AM

I will quote the relevant part from page 12 of the rulebook:

Note that more damage can be assigned to a unit at the attacker’s discretion, in anticipation of the Toughness keyword or other damage cancellation effects, but a minimum damage equal to the number of remaining hit points possessed by each defending unit must be assigned to each defender before any damage can be assigned to the defender’s capital.

The phrase to focus on I believe is "Note that more damage can be assignedto a unit at the attacker's discretion."

#5 Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

Yeah, basically you can assign damage any way want. You do not have to spread damage equally amongst units. To cause damage to the capital you must assign damage at least equal to the defending units hit points, but you can always assign more if you want. Basically "left over" damage counters are assigned to the capital.

#6 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:41 AM

Here I've a little doubt and not as simple as it seems.

When you ASSIGN damage, you basically decide where it'll be applied in the last step.

Now, if you "over-assign" damage, a logical "consecutio" can be "if toughness/cancelling effects aren't enough to cancel it" it'll be applied to the capital...But that's just a "logical" reasoning, not a rule interpretation...Because NOTHING in the rule states that when you have over-assigned damage, the "exceeding" amount of damage will go to the capital, cause the results of APPLY step, is excactly what we planned (and thus declared) in the previous step (assign).

Sorry, but this complicated sentences can be quite confusing in my imperfect english... :-(

I.E. I'm attacking with 5 powers. I'm against a High Elf defending Unit (just moving forward with my mind ;-)): it has 3 HP. To prevent some "twisting moves", I assign all 5 damage to it. My oppo doesn't play anything. We move to the last step: apply damage.

Now, It seems I don't have a chance to "move" the already assigned damage to the capitol and I guess its lost.

THE ONLY SOLUTION is: Damage goes automatically on Capital once defenders hit points are exceeded...But, actually, I don't find anything similar in the rules. ;-)

Maybe I'm wrong, here...But a FAQ is needed anyway. Right now.

#7 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Over-assigned damage stays on the target unit and never goes anywhere else. I don't think FAQ is needed to clear this one up.

#8 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:10 PM

Think about my example. If that unit has taken 5 damages. It has 3 hit points. 2 is the "over-assigned" damage.

The Unit is destroyed because I applied it damage equal to its hit points...But what about the other 2? They can't stay on the Unit, because it's dead.

So, the question kicks in: someone before me states that OVER assigned damage (2 points, in my example) goes automatically on the Capital (I don't agree)...But I would like to know where it goes, because there are no rules covering this case. Does it flizz?

#9 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 01:49 PM

Duke of the Blood Keep was talking about left over damage being assigned to the target capital during the step 4 of Battlefield phase: Assign Damage. Your example is illustrating over assigned damage fizzing during step 5 (Apply Damage). Within the current card pool there is no card effects (nor game effect for that matter) that take advantage of such a fizzed damage...they simply go to waste (or the buckets reserved for Troll Vomit if you prefer).

#10 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2009 - 05:24 PM

Yes, it was a Step issue and that's the answer I needed.

Thanks.

;-)

#11 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:43 PM

Thanks all this clears A LOT of stuff up!

#12 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Also can one place new developments, units etc in a destroyed zone besides the ones that remained?

Corruption I presume takes effect after a battle? I cannot use a corruption card or effect to suddenly cancel the involvement of a unit in a battle?

#13 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 11:26 AM

Darthvegeta800 said:

1) Also can one place new developments, units etc in a destroyed zone besides the ones that remained?

2) Corruption I presume takes effect after a battle? I cannot use a corruption card or effect to suddenly cancel the involvement of a unit in a battle?

Ennumerated for your viewing pleasure:

1) Of course you can. A burning zone is just like any other zone, it just brings you a whole step closer to that dreaded strike out. There is a somewhat subtle strategic nuance to which zone you should rush first because of this fact. If you are going to rush someone and have to ability to burn any zone of your choice, I'd say burn his battlefield. He's gotta have to put units there eventually or lose the game, thus he must continue to maintain a 3 front war throughout the game. If you had burned down his KZ or QZ he could've just plunked down enough supports/devs* (or minimal number of units) there to keep production going and concentrated his units on the other two fronts (now a 2 front war instead of 3). *NOTE: I said dev, because there are some support cards that gain additional power because of devs.

2) You can corrupt a unit anytime within the text stated restriction, but corruption does not cancel the involvement of an already participating unit. There is also that one unit restoration at the beginning of your opponent's turn to consider. If you are able corrupt multiple units during combat, most of them will not be able to take part in the next bout, because barring card effects only one will be restored in the following turn.

#14 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

Thanks. So usually you go for the battlefield first?

It seems to me that at least one zone is semi-sacrificed during play as it is barely defended. Scattering forces has rarely looked worthwhile in my eyes. So the key would be diminishing his battlefield presence and keeping superiority there?

#15 echtalion

echtalion

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 07:24 AM

Ruvion said:

1) Of course you can. A burning zone is just like any other zone, it just brings you a whole step closer to that dreaded strike out. There is a somewhat subtle strategic nuance to which zone you should rush first because of this fact. If you are going to rush someone and have to ability to burn any zone of your choice, I'd say burn his battlefield. He's gotta have to put units there eventually or lose the game, thus he must continue to maintain a 3 front war throughout the game. If you had burned down his KZ or QZ he could've just plunked down enough supports/devs* (or minimal number of units) there to keep production going and concentrated his units on the other two fronts (now a 2 front war instead of 3). *NOTE: I said dev, because there are some support cards that gain additional power because of devs.

On the other hand, once you have successfully burned your opponent's battlefield, there's no way you can attack the units your opponent is deploying there, which can be hugely detrimental, especially if your units are not especially good at defending. Say, your units have the counterstrike ability, then this tactic is ok, if your units get bonuses while attacking, then it's not so good.

One interesting feature of this game it is very balanced. If you focus on attacking one of your opponent's zone, while neglecting the others, he may just concentrate in reinforcing the other 2, and use all his resources to do so. If you spread the damage, it will create more tension, but you run the risk of not actually getting to  burn anything, and thus losing.

#16 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 10:31 AM

One cannot attack a burned area?

#17 echtalion

echtalion

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:29 PM

As it is the defender's decision whether or not to commit units to defend, there's no point in attacking a burning zone. The only case when it would make sense would be when the defender has the upper hand, but then the attacker wouldn't attack in the first place, anyway.

In short, no,  you cannot attack a zone that is burning.

#18 Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

Yes you can, but you cannot damage the capital if you attack a burning section, but you can remove units in that area. It's your choice. 

#19 Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 05:39 AM

Oops...sorry

As echtalion pointed out it is the defender who chooses to defend with units, they aren't likely to do so if the zone is burning. 

#20 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:18 AM

One word for you...

Scout.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS