Age suitability

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Nerd King

Nerd King

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:04 PM

I'm an old hand roleplayer and current Dark Heresy GM and I think that all the nice components, the card and dice play could be a good "in" to get my son more interested in his Dad's hobby the thing is I can't find any note of the age range suitability of th egame.

Now I know that the background material (being fantasy horror) could be considered adult but the GW tabletop games are very much geared to his age group plus (some kids in his class at school have already started collecting tabletop armies) so I was wondering whether the rpg is a good fit too. Scenario and campaign content is in the hands of the GM (most likely me) so I can temper things accordingly but are the mechanics easy enough for a group of 9+ year olds to grasp? 

#2 Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:27 PM

I belive FFG will rate the game to be a PG.

Personally I don`t think that Warhammer RPG will be unsuitable for your son. I think it will be as good choice as D&D, even better since the setting encourage social solutions instead of only conflict.

I have some experience of sheperding youths through a session of WFRP.  I focused on what they wanted to do rather than push them in any direction of the quest. You might try to avoid the more "adult" themes of warhammer like Slaanesh cultists and so. But kids at that age are very perceptice, so I found it uneccessary to turn down the grittiness of the setting. I kept it real and they responded well to that.  And we ended up having some wonderful debates about morals and ethics, and they surprised me by their insight (although they were a little older than your son 11-12).

I truly hope your son will enjoy warhammer.

#3 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:39 PM

My son is 11, and started playing WFRP3 at 10, and he had absolutely no problems with it. He is a bit of a gamer though. I don't imagine an averagely bright 9 yr old with a bit of board-gaming or similar experience would have any problems.

#4 Nerd King

Nerd King

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:06 AM

Well I cut my gaming teeth (as it were) on Tunnels and Trolls at his age and I was initially thinking that I'd break that out for him.

He has played the card based Marvel Superheroes "SAGA" system that TSR brought out years ago and MB's Heroquest boardgame (which helped introduce him to teh Warhammer world.

I think that the ready availability of Warhammer media (the high street stores, miniatures, ever present Whit Dwarf magazines) and his familiarity with the world through HeroQuest might mean that WFRP3 might appeal.

It's just such a big investment, the rrp over her in the UK is £80 (due to VAT applying as it's not just printed materials), so we'll just have to see.

Looks very shiny though (and I  remeber fondly playing and GMing the 1st edition)

#5 Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

yeah its rather expensive but Maelstrom.uk have it to £ 53,99 and the toolkit £ 22,49. www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php I`m from Norway and are planning on pre-ordering it from them. Have good reccomandations.

Not that you saves  much, but you know what they say, a penny`s saved is a penny...something

#6 Nerd King

Nerd King

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 01:35 AM

Not a bad idea - but I'm trying to stay loyal to my local retailer - he's a good friend and business isn't the best at present (as for most small retailers)

#7 Farin

Farin

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:24 AM

Nerd King said:

I'm an old hand roleplayer and current Dark Heresy GM and I think that all the nice components, the card and dice play could be a good "in" to get my son more interested in his Dad's hobby the thing is I can't find any note of the age range suitability of th egame.

Now I know that the background material (being fantasy horror) could be considered adult but the GW tabletop games are very much geared to his age group plus (some kids in his class at school have already started collecting tabletop armies) so I was wondering whether the rpg is a good fit too. Scenario and campaign content is in the hands of the GM (most likely me) so I can temper things accordingly but are the mechanics easy enough for a group of 9+ year olds to grasp? 

if he is smart the rules wont be hard....ive played the table top games with kids as young as 8....and they were some of my best games lol

#8 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

Important stuff here is to give the kids a good experience of their first session. SO let the players play as they want as much possible. When you play games with children they get the best out of it if they decide what the action is about. Of course if the little blighters kill an inn keeper , let them feel the consequence from the local militia... 

And after all I think Jay owes us a session demo video  

#9 Farin

Farin

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:47 AM

Armrek said:

Important stuff here is to give the kids a good experience of their first session. SO let the players play as they want as much possible. When you play games with children they get the best out of it if they decide what the action is about. Of course if the little blighters kill an inn keeper , let them feel the consequence from the local militia... 

And after all I think Jay owes us a session demo video  

yeah lol at if he is 9+ he can take it

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS