• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Frog

Frog

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:49 AM

No dice = No dice for me!

Sorry FFG!  I am an Ameritrasher and I need my dice combat!!!

#2 Magic Pink

Magic Pink

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:01 AM

That's the stupidest reason to not buy I game I've ever heard of.

#3 Farin

Farin

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:36 AM

Magic Pink said:

That's the stupidest reason to not buy I game I've ever heard of.

agreed....

#4 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

Starcraft is about as Ameritrash as you get, and it has no dice.  Sure, some people don't like the combat mechanics, but it's still an "Ameritrash" game through and through.

(Note for those who don't know the term, "Ameritrash" isn't necessarily a disparaging term)

#5 zero80

zero80

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:04 AM

Middle Earth Quest no dice but combat system is perfect!!

#6 Stefan

Stefan

• Members
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 07:30 PM

I love diceless combat systems. Really stupid reason. But sure there's an easy possibility for including dice like in A&A or TI.

#7 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:53 PM

Especially when combats are dice-resolved like in Fury of Dracula...

#8 superklaus

superklaus

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:38 AM

Are Runewar combats resolved like in Fury?

I admit it feels a little bit strange not to have dice...

#9 Jakews

Jakews

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

I agree. How is combat resolved without dice. Is there less strategy when chance isn't involved?

#10 Old Dwarf

Old Dwarf

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:55 AM

I love to roll De Bones but you can have a realistic combat situation without them.Plus you won't have to be hunting around the floor for when the die jumps off the table....well your still going to have to get down there for the movement die but it's one less thing to have to worry about.

OD

A Dwarf in Winter

#11 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:10 AM

Jakews said:

I agree. How is combat resolved without dice. Is there less strategy when chance isn't involved?

Starcraft shows that there is still plenty of strategy without dice.  No dice doesn't necessarily mean no "luck" or "chance" - card based combat can have that elment too, but it is just a different way to "control" the chaos.

#12 earlofwessex

earlofwessex

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:06 PM

I like dice too.  However, I don't mind diceless combat on principle (Hannible: Rome vs. Carthage has a great system).  I do object to avoiding dice just because they are dice.  

I'm glad that different game mechanics are being developed, but sometimes the old way is just the best.  Wool and down are still the best insulators in some situations, despite all of DuPont's fancy developments.  

Dicelessness is a fad and some games try to be "hip, trendy - diceless!" and end up being the equivalent of public service posters aimed at youth that are obviously written by some adult trying to sound young that get only half the jargon right.

I am really excited about the game, but have to say that, the longer I think about it, the more disappointed I get that there are no dice and all that implies about the kind of game it is.

#13 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:44 PM

superklaus said:

Are Runewar combats resolved like in Fury?

I admit it feels a little bit strange not to have dice...

No no, man, no worries (I mean, we still don't know about Runewars, but im sure it ll be far from Fury's mechanics in combats). I just meant to second superklaus : that I love diceless combats too, especially when dice combats are resolved like in Fury (which I like, but regrets the combat mechanics). Although, combats are dice resolved in Arkham, and I am devoted to that game, so.... let us just wait, guys, ok ? it ll be nice, for sure  :)

#14 sigmazero13

sigmazero13

Rules Geek

• Members
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:00 AM

Incidentally, maybe I just missed the part that says it's going to be diceless, but I don't remember seeing anywhere that says one way or the other.  It could be inferred, I guess, from the "more info" where it lists components without listing dice, but it could easily be an incomplete list just highlighting some of the key points.

Of course, if one of the articles DOES specifically mention it and I've overlooked it, that is possible; could someone point me to that?

#15 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 04:03 AM

sigmazero13 said:

Incidentally, maybe I just missed the part that says it's going to be diceless, but I don't remember seeing anywhere that says one way or the other.  It could be inferred, I guess, from the "more info" where it lists components without listing dice, but it could easily be an incomplete list just highlighting some of the key points.

Good point.  That component list is just an advertisement right now, not a complete inventory like we usually find in FFG rulebooks.  Is there any supporting information for the idea that Runewars is diceless beyond this component list?  I'd like to see it too, if there is.  Not that the answer will really prevent me from buying this game, of course =)

#16 earlofwessex

earlofwessex

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:12 AM

sigmazero13 said:

Of course, if one of the articles DOES specifically mention it and I've overlooked it, that is possible; could someone point me to that?

Great point!  I just assumed that everyone else knew something I didn't.  There is still hope!

#17 Hagard

Hagard

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

To Quote the Discription Page of Runewars:

"in Runewars' innovative CARD-BASED combat system"

#18 Seboss

Seboss

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:44 AM

In my experience, cards offer more control and strategic depth than rolling dice around so I'm glad they're out.

#19 andirueff

andirueff

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 08:39 AM

me too i prefer diceless combat like Starcraft.. looking forward to first previews

#20 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 09:37 PM

Hagard said:

To Quote the Discription Page of Runewars:

"in Runewars' innovative CARD-BASED combat system"

Yoohoo, missed that one, thanks ! Great news indeed !

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS