Questions before buy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 facepalm

facepalm

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:47 AM

this card game looks really cool and i am a big fan of the table top game. i was just wondering if this game is worth the money, and if it does justice to the warhammer universe?

#2 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:11 PM

Fluff wise, pretty much yes. Empire, ELves and Dwarfs can ally together, but at a cost. Similarly, Chaos, Orcs, Delves...

Some things that you'd expect each to do are there. Unit names are taken from fluffy sources, the MMO a bit, and the old warhammer TCG (so I've been told).

Granted it doesn't play exactly like the table top. But wher eyou put your things definitely makes a difference in what's going to go down. As you know if you've played the table top table position is very important...

#3 facepalm

facepalm

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 02:13 PM

okay so the game has some of the same elements as the table top, thats good, because it seems like a good game but partially because it is a warhammer game if it did not have the same feeling i probaly would not be getting it.

Thanks

#4 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 05:27 PM

It has been compared a lot to a RTS version of Warhammer. Each decision you make will effect your income, your ability to grow your capitol, affect what chcoices you have available to you, etc. It is more about being the leader of a nation and fielding an army, supplying it, and protecting your capitol while laying siege to your opponents than it is about small unit tactics.

Calvary, artillery, foot soldiers are all present, as are the heroes and legends... but they don't all possess the same kinds of stats and abilities you might automatically assume they should. The game offers a rather different take on what different kinds of units do in context. A scout would in a table top game do very little truthfully, you get to see your terrain from an all-seeing angle and direct your troops with that omniscient perspective. In the game a scout rather than telling information back to its troops denies your opponent choices (causes a random discard). Some people have not been keen on this, but that is really what purpose a scout serves. The more information I have the better I can deny my opponent an opportunity to bring their full strength to bear (Sun Tzu has a whole chapter dedicated to this and brings it up in several other places in one form or another). Calvary is often represented with superior power or superior HP depending on the force and unit. Some will have the ability to do damage as soon as they are declared as defenders (representing a flanking charge to an advancing troop) and still dealing regular combat damage (having entered into melee).

So if you are willing to look at various units slightly abstracted (seeing that the stats and abilities do amount to the same advantages and disadvantages one would find in minitaures, but expressed differently, the game gets to be incredibly fun. I'd say it takes about 10-15 minutes to learn and I'm not sure anyone will ever truly master all the various permutations of this game. I mean that quite honestly.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#5 facepalm

facepalm

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:46 AM

i am now really tempted to buy this game it seems interesting, just one more question; how long is an average game roughly take? thank you

#6 Aaron Powell

Aaron Powell

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 02:57 AM

facepalm said:

i am now really tempted to buy this game it seems interesting, just one more question; how long is an average game roughly take? thank you

I've played four games so far and each took about half an hour to an hour. My guess is, with more experience, they'll go faster, as we spent a lot of time reading cards and trying to figure out the strategies in playing them in different zones. But, regardless, it's a relatively short playing game in my experience.

#7 jogo

jogo

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 03:26 AM

For getting a feeling you could watch the Introduction video. http://www.fantasyfl...ws.asp?eidn=826

#8 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 04:34 AM

After repeated games at gencon over and over, I'm thinking this game can be fine tuned to about 20-30 minutes per game.

#9 echtalion

echtalion

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:56 AM

vermillian said:

After repeated games at gencon over and over, I'm thinking this game can be fine tuned to about 20-30 minutes per game.

I agree. It's a fast, quick-thinking game that keeps you in your toes, with plenty of strategy. Art is cool too.

#10 Margalus

Margalus

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

jogo said:

For getting a feeling you could watch the Introduction video. http://www.fantasyfl...ws.asp?eidn=826

Quote! The videos are just awesome and they explain the basic mechanics of the game really well! I loved the game ever since i watched them and i ordered my Core Set + the first Skaven Battlepack. Too bad i live in Italy so i'll have to wait one ore two weeks, i hope it arrives fast =)

#11 Gaute

Gaute

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 09:38 PM

he he he. I really feel slow now. My friend and I just bought the game last night, and sat down for our first round. Let it be said that none of us had any clue about this game up front, even though I am an experienced CCG player myself (even if it has been 6 years since my last fix...) We spent a whole lot of time reading rules, discussing elements we found to be unclear, and figuring out how to play the game... From the moment we opened the box till we finished the first game it took 4 hours. But like I said most of this time was spent actually understanding the rules, and reading the book. It was a great experience all together, so I assume we will play again, and then it will also be alot quicker...

#12 Carlos The Dwarf

Carlos The Dwarf

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 25 October 2009 - 05:00 PM

facepalm said:

As others have stated, the first games take the longest. Once everyone is familiar with the cards/rules/interactions, it goes to 20-30 mins. (Of course, once the expansion is out, games will likely take a bit longer for a while...)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS