Hellguns and Sunsear Lances

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ClockworkHorror

ClockworkHorror

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:32 AM

There seem to be a couple of number variations that strike me as odd.

The Hellgun, for instance, and Hellpistol have a Pen of 7. I assume this is a typo, as in the Inquisitor's Handbook they have a Pen of 3. Considering they're jumped up Lasguns, I assume 3 is the correct number.

And the Sunsear has a range of 9. The rest of the weapons in the Macrobattery arsenal (and the Lances for that matter) have ranges between 2 and 6. Did the 6 get flipped upside down accidentally?

Thoughts?

Until an errata is issued, what do people think?

#2 Psychopomp

Psychopomp

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:43 AM

There's been an increase in the penetrating power of Hellguns and Hellpistols in the wargame since the Inquisitor's Handbook was published.  The Pen may have been boosted to 7 to accomodate this change.

Longer ranges on Lances over Macrobatteries is actually pretty common in BFG. 

#3 ClockworkHorror

ClockworkHorror

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:50 AM

Psychopomp said:

There's been an increase in the penetrating power of Hellguns and Hellpistols in the wargame since the Inquisitor's Handbook was published.  The Pen may have been boosted to 7 to accomodate this change.

Did Hellguns and Hellpistols suddenly become AP 2 in 40K? Cause a 7 outdoes the Pen of the Plasma guns in RT, as well as totally outdoes any Bolt weapon Pen.

While I can see their penetration increasing, are Stormtroopers really capable of wasting whole squads of Marines now? It's been a while since I've played/collected 40K. I guess I just can't see upgraded lasguns having more destructive power than, say, a plasma pistol/rifle.

As for the Sunsear, it's a Macrobattery, not a Lance.

#4 ClockworkHorror

ClockworkHorror

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:57 AM

Well, I'll be damned... the new Hellguns are AP3.

I stand corrected! Thanks for the info, Psychopomp.

#5 Mellon

Mellon

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

ClockworkHorror said:

Well, I'll be damned... the new Hellguns are AP3.

I stand corrected! Thanks for the info, Psychopomp.

A disproportionately huge percentage of 40kplayers field spacemarines (or chaos or their equivalents), to the effect that powerarmor and toughness 4 is to be expected on your targets when you build a "take all comers"-army. So this hellgun change was to give at least one of the basic "troop" weapons for the Imperial Guard army a use other than as ablative wounds for the heavy/special weapons. I think it works allright in the RT setting as well.

#6 horizon

horizon

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:25 PM

Psychopomp said:

Depends on the race. I wouldn't say its common. Standard Imperial technology has lost tech to build multiple long range lance decks. See the dwindling number of Apocalypse battleships.

#7 Hodgepodge

Hodgepodge

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 07:49 PM

Having just built a Cruiser for a game, the range on Sunsears is probably intended. It gives the Cruiser a compelling reason to take them over weapons with a larger punch, because they can deter guerilla tactics used by smaller and faster ships.

#8 Cifer

Cifer

• Members
  • 2,799 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 10:40 PM

And on the other hand side, it's a nice "sniper" weapon for staying on the fringe of combat.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS