New forum Gripes

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bravo McWilley

Bravo McWilley

• Members
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:56 AM

Lets make a list of the problems with the new forum to maybe be used as a checklist for FFG to fix these issues and make our experience as good as or better than the previous forum was.

#1. Speed! - The new forum is SLOWWWWW. Very slow. It takes me an hour to load and read the 10-20 new posts/updates each morning. Never mind how slow the post and new topic page is! Just trying to read them is painful.

#2. EDIT! - There is no way to edit your posts! Why is this not a function? This is more important than you would think at first.

#3. Updates - This one is 2 fold. 1... why are the mouse over tips text for the FF logos on the left of each topic not in english? and 2...whats with topics that are updated not always having the blue logo? I constantly see posts that were near the bottom while I am reading other posts, move to the top of the list but not change the logo to the blue "new" post. Clearly it has been updated.

#4. Avatars - Everyones favorite. Why can't we use our own custom Avatars? This one isnt that big a deal, and if FFG decides they only want us to use the ones they provide then fine, but it just seems a bit silly. maybe its for space and speed considerations, but we can refer to #1 on that!

#5 Copy/Paste from Word and the like - Huh? What would make this not work?

...Please add your own below so we can maybe get some explainations, timeframes of fixes, intent on fixes, etc...

#2 dkw

dkw

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:49 AM

Gripe: Not being able to see the post you are replying too.

I have had no problem Copying and Pasting from Word and the like, you just have to use Keyboard Shortcuts (Ctrl V) instead of Right-Click Menus.

It will probably speed up when FFG Staff finish the creation, conversion, and streamlining of the new website over the next month or two.

The Edit Button is right above the message itself, on the left side of the "Published (insert date and time)" message.  It is Dark Grey.

#3 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

It might be best to post this over in the FFG forum.  The people that mod these forums probably have very little to do with how the site is run.

And as can be imagined, these same gripes have tons of threads so there is no shortage of reminding them.  They already announced they have coded as much speed as possible and are waiting for more hardware to offset the balance of the issues.

Not sure of a status on yur other complaints.

#4 Fecktor

Fecktor

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:05 AM

dkw said:

Gripe: Not being able to see the post you are replying too.

If you click on the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button, you'll get to see the post you're replying to....  Alternatively, when you are writing a reply, you can scroll down, under the text window where you're writing, to see the previous posts.

Or did you meant something else?

#5 thorgrim

thorgrim

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:17 AM

dkw said:

The Edit Button is right above the message itself, on the left side of the "Published (insert date and time)" message.  It is Dark Grey.

Yeah, but it is only there for 5 minutes. After that you have no options but to write a whole new post, or cut & paste what you've already written and clog up the board with the same thing repeated but appended/fixed.

#6 Glasgow Scotland

Glasgow Scotland

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:34 AM

I also had to change my "handle" because I could not segue into this forum from the older forum seamlessly, even though the instruction screen indicated I could.

I tried repeatedly to enter this forum using my member info from the previous forum.  Finally I had to entirely re-register.  Either that or be shut out of the discussions.

To add to the frustration, I kept being told I had a password, and wasn't giving the right one, even though it was/is my old forum password.

I tried to use the "remind password" feature, where I'm sent to my email what the forum THINKS my password is.  This brilliant feature doesn't work-- I tried five times.

Advice to the moderators -- debug these things first, before you implement them.  Thank you.

#7 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:56 AM

Glasgow Scotland said:

I also had to change my "handle" because I could not segue into this forum from the older forum seamlessly, even though the instruction screen indicated I could.

There was no segue that I know of.  I just set up a new account as if I was joining any new site.  I was able to keep my "old" screename and password.  I am sure you could have as well if you just set it up that way.

#8 thehuntercat

thehuntercat

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:08 PM

I liked the option of PMing folks on the previous forum. Doesn't seem we can do that here, or have I missed something?

Thanks

#9 Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

Sadly there doesn't seem to be an PM.   And personally, whoever thought this forum software was BETTER than the old one should be fired.

Contrast issues - slow issues, one can't edit their posts after 5 minutes..the list goes on.    Seems like someone just wanted to make use of this software no matter what and got it implemented.    And all the issues they had early on - obviously no one bother to really test this software and compare it to the old one.

But then I guess if the trend holds true, we'll be on another forum in like 1 year - so I guess there is hope that this one will be a distant memory!

Cab

#10 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

Bravo McWilley said:

#1. Speed! - The new forum is SLOWWWWW. Very slow. It takes me an hour to load and read the 10-20 new posts/updates each morning. Never mind how slow the post and new topic page is! Just trying to read them is painful.
This is one problem, they'll never be able to fix unless they trash the whole forum and webserver software.

I cannot fathom who thought it was a good idea to use 'this' for a professional web site with such a high number of users. I'm not sure if there's anything worth fixing. I'm looking forward to the next forum instead.

#11 Caboose

Caboose

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 04:37 AM

Even the old forum software is much better than this one.   Don't know why they decided to have to use this one.   This one is very antiqued and there definitely seems to be the issue of not being able to fix little problems like contrast and dates.

Cab

#12 Sinis

Sinis

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:32 AM

It does strike me as very, very slow.  The other problems don't bother me so much.

#13 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:12 AM

Just give us a sub-forum where we can put all the great fan-created work from the previous forum and I'll be happy.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#14 Glasgow Scotland

Glasgow Scotland

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:23 AM

I'm not sure if you folks are aware that this is actually the THIRD FFG forum.

About two years ago the initial forum was folded up, and the second -- now ending -- was initiated.   The second apparently used the same software as the first.

This much irritated people who had accumulated more than 500 postings, at which time they got the title of FFG God.  When the second forum came on line, most people had to re-register and began counting their messaging from zero again.

One poor guy celebrated his "D" (500th) posting during the waning days of the old forum.  I wonder if he kept his elevated status, or whether he starts from zero again.

I really have no idea.   Don't even know if that individual came over to this forum.

#15 jhaelen

jhaelen

• Members
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:15 AM

Glasgow Scotland said:

One poor guy celebrated his "D" (500th) posting during the waning days of the old forum.  I wonder if he kept his elevated status, or whether he starts from zero again.

I really have no idea.   Don't even know if that individual came over to this forum.

I think that was new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_comunidad_perfil.asp

Did I mention that I hate this forum? How in hell can I post a url with a proper description? What I'd really love to do is this:

tamsyn

And why is there no way to preview my post before posting?

And why am I kicked out of the board after posting?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure SHE had to start from zero again.

#16 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

jhaelen said:

Glasgow Scotland said:

I think that was new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_comunidad_perfil.asp

Did I mention that I hate this forum? How in hell can I post a url with a proper description? What I'd really love to do is this:

tamsyn

And why is there no way to preview my post before posting?

And why am I kicked out of the board after posting?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure SHE had to start from zero again.

Poor Tamsyn, first she loses her five hundred posts, then she gets an involuntary sex change.

#17 ultrasroma1975

ultrasroma1975

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:20 PM

The main problem is the slowness of the server. But I think FFG will or is adressing this issue.

My other complaint is the colour and background which hurt my eyes a little bit. Especially if I have to read quotes.

#18 Noshrok Grimskull

Noshrok Grimskull

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:14 AM

Yeah, the color isn't the best. Plain black-on-white works wonders. Black-on-brownish-yellow is also pretty good.

And the server IS way too slow. I came here to write that it took me a whole minute to get from the Board Games overview page to the Arkham Horror sub-forum, but now I have to say that it took a ful TWO minutes to load this thread!

#19 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,576 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:18 PM

Gadzooks, is it just me, or has the forum speeded up?

#20 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Avi_dreader said:

Gadzooks, is it just me, or has the forum speeded up?

Yes, they upgraded the system today.  It was down for awhile when tehy switched it over.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS