Exclusive Cards?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 LordMalinari

LordMalinari

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:55 AM

Hey all, this is my first post on the FFG forums as I've only recently become a customer. I bought Chaos in the Old World the other day, and have played it through a few times now with friends and its a piece of brilliance. After reading about the existence of an FAQ document for CitOW, I headed over to this website for a look around, found the Warhammer Invasion page and devoured the video tutorial. Suitably impressed, I placed a  pre-order for three copies of the core set and a copy of Chaos Marauders with my local game store yesterday.

I love the LCG model, and its the reason that I decided to pick up WH:I. I have dabbled in UFS (among other games) previously but the one thing that put me off was the existence of tournament/league specific promotional cards. Now, I'm a hardcore completist/collector (one of the reasons I like the LCG model so much) and was just wondering whether FFG is likely to do the same thing with WH:I? Have any exclusive promos been released since the conversion of CoC and AGoT to LCGs?  It definately won't put me off buying this great looking product, but would slightly irritate me if I can't get a league or other events going in my area.

#2 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

previous LCG support indicates that tournament only cards are unlikely.

Also UFS has shifted substantially away from tournament promos. Now there are only two promos each month. 10 copies of each are availible each month for tournament organizers to give away. This makes these VERY easy to obtain (and as such, secondary market sales for them are cheap). Hope that'll bring you back to UFS again. Its smokin hot right now (as far as standard tournament legal game play)

#3 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:48 AM

LordMalinari said:

I love the LCG model, and its the reason that I decided to pick up WH:I. I have dabbled in UFS (among other games) previously but the one thing that put me off was the existence of tournament/league specific promotional cards. Now, I'm a hardcore completist/collector (one of the reasons I like the LCG model so much) and was just wondering whether FFG is likely to do the same thing with WH:I? Have any exclusive promos been released since the conversion of CoC and AGoT to LCGs?  It definately won't put me off buying this great looking product, but would slightly irritate me if I can't get a league or other events going in my area.

Unless there are some drastic changes with FFG's LCG policies, which there haven't been and doesn't look like it ever will, you will enjoy this LCG ride free of irritants like promos.

#4 cotguy130

cotguy130

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

What are the tournament prizes for CoC and GoT?  Or are there any?

#5 Wytefang

Wytefang

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 09:24 AM

One would hope that they'll avoid the annoying UFS penchant for Promo/Foil special cards in Warhammer:Invasion.  I hate that crap and it definitely runs counter-intuitive to what a LCG is all about.

I wouldn't say UFS is red-hot, by any means...it's a fun game but way too complicated for what it's all about.  I enjoyed it for a while but it was a too over-involved for what it offered and for its subject material, imho.  Great fans, though, for that game, either way.  :)

#6 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 10:26 AM

Tournament support for LCGs has generally been IP related swag, pins, poker chips, art prints, special faction counters, etc. Nice stuff to have but nothing that gives anyone an unfair advantage in play. AGoT lets the world champion of their formats design a card to be included in the set the following year, often including a stylized version of the champion in the card art.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#7 LordMalinari

LordMalinari

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:05 AM

Wow, this all sounds very positive. I mean, I have no real problems with the occasional promotional offering, but I got into UFS about the time the first Street Fighter and Soul Calibur sets were released, by which time I was unable to find any Penny Arcade decks, or the Penny Arcade promo anywhere without paying exorbitant prices - and as this was shortly after getting into a new game I wasn't really that way inclined. Can't knock the game itself though, looking over the forums it seems bannings and the block format have helped alleviate the dominance of certain resource types. It seemed like every deck ran Yoga Mastery / Lost Memories / Ring Veteran back when I was playing.

The World Champion designed cards sound pretty sweet, are they available in the Battle Packs for their respective games?

And finally one last, not entirely unrelated question, apart from the Companion Set and Battle Packs, have any other special releases occurred for the other card games since their conversion to LCGs, like Binder Sets or other offerings?

I must say I can't wait for my copies to arrive now :D

#8 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

Wytefang said:

One would hope that they'll avoid the annoying UFS penchant for Promo/Foil special cards in Warhammer:Invasion.  I hate that crap and it definitely runs counter-intuitive to what a LCG is all about.

I wouldn't say UFS is red-hot, by any means...it's a fun game but way too complicated for what it's all about.  I enjoyed it for a while but it was a too over-involved for what it offered and for its subject material, imho.  Great fans, though, for that game, either way.  :)

Note I said, its hot right now with current standard format. It's entire sets have been rolled back in complexity in some way, and is rather beat face now. And its not really OVERly complex... but yes. It IS complex. And no longer has foils BTW. But it does have 2 promos released everymonth 10 copies of each to tournament organizers to be distributed to its local players for playing. Most of them you only need 1-2 copies of in a deck.

The game WAS over involved at one point. I highly recommend picking some up. Recent stuff is great.

#9 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:33 PM

LordMalinari said:

Wow, this all sounds very positive. I mean, I have no real problems with the occasional promotional offering, but I got into UFS about the time the first Street Fighter and Soul Calibur sets were released, by which time I was unable to find any Penny Arcade decks, or the Penny Arcade promo anywhere without paying exorbitant prices - and as this was shortly after getting into a new game I wasn't really that way inclined. Can't knock the game itself though, looking over the forums it seems bannings and the block format have helped alleviate the dominance of certain resource types. It seemed like every deck ran Yoga Mastery / Lost Memories / Ring Veteran back when I was playing.

The World Champion designed cards sound pretty sweet, are they available in the Battle Packs for their respective games?

And finally one last, not entirely unrelated question, apart from the Companion Set and Battle Packs, have any other special releases occurred for the other card games since their conversion to LCGs, like Binder Sets or other offerings?

I must say I can't wait for my copies to arrive now :D

Oh yeah. That was back with the other gaming company. UFS's beginning was probably one of the most complicated tough times to collect all of the promo stuff... Penny Arcade which was only one tournament in seattle... and not many copies of it.

That is NOT happening now...

#10 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

Good to hear UFS is doing better than ever.

LordMalinari said:

Since the World Champion cards have been released in the monthly scheduled Chapter/Asylum Packs (AGoT & CoC respecitively) so far, I don't see Invasion deviating from this release schedule: from all indications, emphasis on the monthly packs have been the marketing strategem of the LCG line. Core set is the other money making pillar of the two.

There hasn't been any releases aside from the planned Companion set and the two expansions that expanded a House each for AGoT. This I suspect is largely due to the aforementioned emphasis on the monthly packs. From what some posters have speculated, and I heartily agree with this, the delayed release of the Companion set and Princes of the Sun (adding House Martell to AGoT) is most likely due to thunder-stealing effect that these products can have on the monthly packs on the whole. FFG may be thinking that it's better to get all the promotions for the monthly packs over with before the larger expansions take the show home: hence the 3 (unofficially 4) battle pack promo that we've seen so far to date...some of them even before the official release of Core sets!

#11 Wytefang

Wytefang

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:19 AM

Vermillian, I do like UFS...hopefully you didn't get that impression from me.  I just don't think it's as hot as it ever was at the moment.  I think it's hanging in there, though.  :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS