• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Murdernater

Murdernater

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:05 AM

3 interesting scenarios today...

1. Do the racial symbols on tactic cards count toward other tactic cards played in response to the first tactic?

For example: If I play "Forced March" whicdh has a cost of 2 and 2 empire symbols and I pay 4 since I have no other empire symbols in play, then in response to that tactic card (before it resolves) (I pay another copy of "Forced March" do I now only have to pay 3 (2 for the base cost and 1 for the empire symbol with the remaining empire symbol being taken care of by the first not-yet-resolved "Forced March"

My guess is correct in that the second copy I only need to pay 3 due to the fact that tactic cards have race symbols on them and I could not think of any other reason why they would have them on there.

2.  "Fledgling Chaos Spawn" reads: After this unit is destroyed, deal 1 damage to one target unit in any players battlefield.

If I sacrifice "Fledling Chaos Spawn" to pay a cost of an action or as a result of an effect on another card which would state to sacrifice it. Is it considered destroyed in turn allowing his ability to be activated?

3. Does anyone know what restoring a unit is?

Based on "Blessing of Isha" the high elf card which reads: Attach to target unit, restore that unit, if able. Attached unit cannot be corrupted. Does this mean we un-corrupt the unit if able?

#2 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:40 AM

Murdernater said:

3 interesting scenarios today...

1. Do the racial symbols on tactic cards count toward other tactic cards played in response to the first tactic?

For example: If I play "Forced March" whicdh has a cost of 2 and 2 empire symbols and I pay 4 since I have no other empire symbols in play, then in response to that tactic card (before it resolves) (I pay another copy of "Forced March" do I now only have to pay 3 (2 for the base cost and 1 for the empire symbol with the remaining empire symbol being taken care of by the first not-yet-resolved "Forced March"

My guess is correct in that the second copy I only need to pay 3 due to the fact that tactic cards have race symbols on them and I could not think of any other reason why they would have them on there.

2.  "Fledgling Chaos Spawn" reads: After this unit is destroyed, deal 1 damage to one target unit in any players battlefield.

If I sacrifice "Fledling Chaos Spawn" to pay a cost of an action or as a result of an effect on another card which would state to sacrifice it. Is it considered destroyed in turn allowing his ability to be activated?

3. Does anyone know what restoring a unit is?

Based on "Blessing of Isha" the high elf card which reads: Attach to target unit, restore that unit, if able. Attached unit cannot be corrupted. Does this mean we un-corrupt the unit if able?

1. First of all, I'm sure this is a minor oversight, but you do get a loyalty token from your Capital. Correct me if I am wrong, but Tactic cards are actions triggered from out of play (page 15 of rulebook). Loyalty icons are additional variable cost to play the card that can be reduced by controlling cards that are loyal to this card's race (verbatim quote page 7). The issue becomes this: is the transient Tactic card, which is an action triggered out of play, considered to contribute matching race symbols the player controls in play (page 11)? The simple answer I think is yes, because the Tactic card is a card just played (now in play at that moment) and is under your control. I wish it wasn't so as this creates a more involved situation when Tactic cards go on stack.

2. Yes, why not? Funny ain't it?!

3. Restoring is the action of "curing" a corrupt unit (quoted verbatim, page 17):

"To restore a card, turn it back 90 degrees in
the other direction, so that it is again vertical on the
playing area. A restored card is no longer corrupt."

#3 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:52 AM

It may be best to post rules querries under the rules subforum next time, for sakes of reference and expediency.

#4 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:53 AM

1. No a tactic card is played but never considered "in play" (though a tactic card at some point in the future may count as something else and be put in play). I know it sounds like symantics, but as far as the game is concerned they are not the same thing.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#5 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 12:31 PM

Hhmmm...admitedly I am treading on grounds I am not sure of, but if comparison can be made with another LCG such as AGoT, then:

Several assumptions:

AGoT Event card = Invasion Tactic card.

There is no moribund state mentioned for Invasion, but assuming it follows the same course as its predecessor then...on page 15 of AGoT FAQ v1.3.1, under the header Moribund State For Events: it mentions that an event card enters a moribund state after it is played. And moribund cards are considered to be physically in play (even though techinically out of play) and thus actionable/interactionable.

Am I not understanding this moribund issue (like I said above, I'm in untreaded rules territories)? Furthermore, am I comparing apples to oranges (since the moribund state is not officially part of Invasion)?

#6 Buhallin

Buhallin

• Members
  • 2,892 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

I think it's a bad idea to pull rule specifics from other games, however closely related.

As near as I can tell, Tactics are never actually "in play".  The selling point for me is this:

Tactic cards are actions that are played from a player's hand.

When you play a Tactic to do something to another (such as Twin-Tailed Comet) even then you aren't responding to the Tactic, you're responding to the action (with perhaps some restriction on the source of that action).  Within the rules as presented for Invasion I can't find anything that suggests that Tactics are considered to be in play.

I expect the icons are simply there for visual conformity to the other faction cards.

#7 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:22 PM

I agree that it's a bad habit to rely on other games. This is why I hope the FAQ specific to Invasion hits the store stands very soon.

#8 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:09 AM

Moribund is not currently a part of W:I, but even if it was the cards are still not considered in play (as you say technically, which is all that the game really cares about), they are played, but it is their effects that are considered actionable and interactionable,  with the exception of events that become other cards (characters, attachments, etc.).

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#9 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:17 AM

Technicality, how I hate thy name.

I will stop any apples to oranges comparisons (hopefully) in the future.

#10 Nocturne

Nocturne

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

I believe tactics cards were printed with loyalty icons in case something in the future needs them to have them.. IE an instant tactic card that "becomes" a unit or some other permanent feature on the board, or some crazy support that allows tactic cards to stay on the battlefield for whatever reason.

Probably leaving room for future mechanics.

As it currently stands I do not believe they add loyalty. The only exception might be playing a tactic in response to a tactic and the tactic underneath the stack "counts it's loyalty" if it's assumed it's in play or something, thus counting the first tactics loyalty for the 2nd casted tactic card. The devs woulda made that clear tho in the rules if that was the case.

Ichitron Scepter or whatnot from Magic the Gathering is a good example... it imprints an instant from hand and can subsequently cast that card every turn. Let's say there was a support card that imprinted a tactic from the LCG but the tactic stays on the support card as a permanent. A big stretch but yea...

#11 Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

Duke_of_the_Blood_Keep

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:50 AM

I would argue that the answer is simple logic, a tactic is not a tangible element that can reward you with loyalty, whether it is ever in play or not.   

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS