Judgement of Verena

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shadowrydor

shadowrydor

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 03:44 PM

The combo of the following three cards seems very powerful.

JUDGEMENT OF VERENA : Action: Destroy all unit and support cards in each zone with no developments. 

FORCED MARCH: Action: Move one target unit from its zone to another zone controlled by the same player.

WILL OF THE ELECTORS: Action: Move up to two target developments from one zone to another controlled by the same player.

JUDGEMENT OF VERENA basically just won me a game. I put a development in each of my zones to set up for this.  My opponent had an extremely strong Battlefield, but no developments in it.  I played a FORCED MARCH  to move one of his units from his Quest Zone into his Battlefield.  Then wiped out his Battlefield (most of his units) with JUDGEMENT OF VERENA.  I almost felt guilty about it, as it seemed amost too powerful.  Only four resources to wipe out all units and all support in a zone.  Am I missing something here? 

Even if my opponent had one or more Developments in the Battlefield, I could have used a WILL OF ELECTORS to move the developments out of the zone prior to playing the JUDGEMENT OF VERENA.

Has anyone else experienced the power of these cards together?   

#2 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

This combo and it's deadly result was mentioned back at Gen Con. I didn't read any further discussion since after, so maybe it's not as broken as I initially feared <shrug>?

#3 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

Drawing into it and using it against an opponent who is aware of the combo is not as easy as you may think. If I play against Empire I start putting developments down every turn and try and protect my QZ to allow me to keep enough cards to allow for this to happen. I'l forgo my BZ until I feel I have some real defense built in my other two zones. The combo against a careful appt  becomes difficult to kill off more than a unit or two, though even that can swing the game if timed right.

The other option of course is to build up your BZ a lot, with just enough power in your QZ to draw an extra card or two and just hammer your opponent mercilessly so even if they do wipe out the units in a zone they won't have enough units of their own to capitalize.

It is a powerful combo and against an unsuspecting opponent absolutely brutal, but a prepared opponent can take steps to minimize the damage.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#4 Lars

Lars

• Members
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

in other words it only works once :P

#5 Hurdoc

Hurdoc

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Dormouse is correct, its a powerful combo but hard to pull of regularly. In my playgroup, everyone nows develops and plays units accordingly vs Empire. Also, there are equally potent, if not more so, combos in other factions. This Empire one is just one of the more apparent ones.

#6 Winter324

Winter324

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 10 October 2009 - 09:08 AM

I played my first game last night against my wife who was playing Empire (I was Chaos).

She did the Marching Orders, followed up with Judgement on me.  I never recovered and she won handily.  I will be much more wary from here on.

#7 TheLawinator

TheLawinator

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:06 AM

On top of that, even if they stack more than two developments in a zone you want to take out, having a twin-tailed comet allows you to move 4 developments or 2 from 2 different zones. I used all of these cards against a dwarf player to destroy both his battlefield and kingdom in one turn.

#8 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:09 PM

The game has some very powerful cards, combo'ed with some others they really can change the course of battle in a turn.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS