Corruption as caused by an action card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rundeks

rundeks

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:59 PM

You are taking your battle action and have just declared your attackers. Your opponent now plays an action that corrupts one of your attacking units? What happens? Is that unit removed from the attack or since it was already declared as an attacker does the corruption have no affect now? Obviously your opponent could have played the corruption action after you declared the zone you were attacking, but before you declare you attackers. This could be an issue though if your opponent was trying to see what forces you commit to the attack before he/she chooses which unit to corrupt.

Thank You,

rundeks

#2 Ruvion

Ruvion

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 10:17 PM

rundeks said:

You are taking your battle action and have just declared your attackers. Your opponent now plays an action that corrupts one of your attacking units? What happens? Is that unit removed from the attack or since it was already declared as an attacker does the corruption have no affect now? Obviously your opponent could have played the corruption action after you declared the zone you were attacking, but before you declare you attackers. This could be an issue though if your opponent was trying to see what forces you commit to the attack before he/she chooses which unit to corrupt.

Thank You,

rundeks

Corruption only takes away the player's ability to declare the said unit as attacker or defender, it does not however, remove the unit from a fight once the unit has joined battle.

I'm not sure if an AGoT reference will help you understand this issue better, but if it does: I remember seeing a similar situation in AGoT where removing a relevant challenge icon from a character that already had engaged in the challenge does not remove the character from the challenge. The presence of one of three challenge icons allows the said character to be declared as attacker or defender and participate in the corresponding challenge. You can see this particular parallel (among many) in the two systems designed by the same designer.

#3 rundeks

rundeks

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

Thank you. That is exactly what I was thinking, but my friend disagreed.

#4 Hurdoc

Hurdoc

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 01:37 PM

I concur... I have had to decide many times whether to corrupt a potential attacker or not at the end to the Declare Zone phase. Once they are declared, I feel corrupting them does not remove their contribution from battle.

#5 Wytefang

Wytefang

• Members
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

I would agree with these two rulings, also, but personally I'd have liked to have seen Corruption not be worded in such as a way as to only limit the "declaration" of attacking or defending by Units and would rather have seen it just prevent it entirely.  Because it's a bit less potent with the current wording and I think it could really use some pumping up. 

"SHOW ME WHAT PASSES FOR FURY AMONGST YOUR MISBEGOTTEN KIND!"

W40K: Conquest LCG Facebook Page - https://www.facebook...35904116588456/

#6 cotguy130

cotguy130

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 05:45 AM

Corruption seems best used when Chaos is attacking.  As soon as you declare the zone to be attacked, you corrupt a/the possible defender.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS