Photo

From Board Game Geek - "This game does for Warhammer what Space Hulk did for 40k."

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

I've never played this game, but I'm astonished at how popular it is on the Geek.  Is CitOW really that good?  I admit that as a fan of WFRP, I really like the feel of this thing.

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

Ye Ancient One said:

I've never played this game, but I'm astonished at how popular it is on the Geek.  Is CitOW really that good?  I admit that as a fan of WFRP, I really like the feel of this thing.

It's that good.  'Nuff said.

#3 rapatpamp

rapatpamp

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

I have both space Hulk and CitOW and have to agree to disagree. Its a great game but they are 2 totally different types of games it mainly depends on the player , do you like fantasy ao sci-fi more. But as far as it being a good game couldnt agree more

#4 Trothael

Trothael

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:02 AM

rapatpamp said:

I have both space Hulk and CitOW and have to agree to disagree. Its a great game but they are 2 totally different types of games it mainly depends on the player , do you like fantasy ao sci-fi more. But as far as it being a good game couldnt agree more

I have the original Space Hulk and CitOW, and I really don't think CitOW compares at all =/ CitOW is a good game, but it's not on the same scale as Space Hulk.

#5 Juriel

Juriel

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:37 AM

I put it at the top of my game list right away. I'm excitedly waiting for our next game night so we can play it some more. That's a bit rare.

One thing it does definitely share with Space Hulk is the same flaw - restricted player amounts. Two for Space Hulk, four for Chaos.

#6 Poe

Poe

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:35 PM

It's definitely THAT good! And although I love Space Hulk I think this is a better game.

The game play is extremely tight and balanced and on top of that it also manages to be very, very thematic. You really get rewarded for playing according to the character of your god; slowly infiltrating and corrupting the large population centers as Nurgle, corrupting the nobles and heroes as Slaanesh, using magic and excavating warpstone as Tzeentch or just slaughter every one you see as Khorne.

I really can't recommend it enough. Both from a mechanical "gaming" standpoint and from a thematic standpoint. Run out and get it! :D

#7 reyalp_eman

reyalp_eman

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

It's really that good. The game is fast-paced and exciting. There is almost no idle time. And even though there is a lot of potential strategy and scheming going on, you never know what might happen. The last round we played I won by sheer good fortune with VP, although I had planned something very different.

#8 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:30 AM

I tried this game for the first time last night (and won! All Hail Tzeentch!).

It was fantastic, but take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't enjoy games like Risk.

The ONLY thing that I didn't like was the fact that you couldn't convert peasants into cultists. That would be a pretty neat feature, and appropriate to the themes of of the corrupting influence of the chaos powers... But that isn't a fault of the game itself.

#9 ymrar

ymrar

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

My first game and I think it has huge potential. After the game everybody was talking of possible tactics and strength and weaknesses etc. Always a good sign.

Also Space Hulk is a great game, but so different that comparison is hard.

I think you mistake the sentence to be comparison between the games anyway. I think it should be read as, this is The Boardgame that makes Warhammer known to more people, like Space Hulk was The Boardgame that made 40k known to more people.

#10 Kushiel

Kushiel

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

I actually interpreted the statement to mean that Chaos takes the Warhammer setting and makes game that's actually good out of it, much like Space Hulk did with the 40k setting. But that's likely just my prejudices talking.

#11 Frog

Frog

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 03:11 AM

I don't agree that this game has done what Space Hulk has for 40k.

Warhammer Quest did for Warhammer what Space Hulk has for 40k.

Warhammer Quest and Space Hulk have a lot in common.

Chaos has nothing in common.

#12 ymrar

ymrar

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:27 PM

Frog said:

I don't agree that this game has done what Space Hulk has for 40k.

Warhammer Quest did for Warhammer what Space Hulk has for 40k.

Warhammer Quest and Space Hulk have a lot in common.

Chaos has nothing in common.

I found very few playing Warhammer Quest in my time. Also Warhammer Quest vs. Chaos in the Old Wordl average rating BGG 7,15 vs 8,00 (905 vs 1003 voters).

Dont confuse the phrase talking about game mechanics. Chaos is a very good game and that is what it has in common with Space Hulk. It's a very good board game in Warhammer setting as Space Hulk is a very good game in 40k setting.

#13 Hem

Hem

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:00 AM

Sorry, don't wanna create a new thread for that.

I don't know what that game actually does for warhammer, but my question is : is it necessary to know and like and care about warhammer and all that gamesworkshop world to buy and enjoy chaos in the old world ? or, is it like BSG, where you don t have to know the series to enjoy the game ? (although I did enjoy it more after I discovered the series !)

just to know, because I always felt interested in that game, but not particularly in warhammer stuff (i dont dislike warhammer, i just dont care)

thanks and cheers !

#14 ymrar

ymrar

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:20 AM

Hem said:

Sorry, don't wanna create a new thread for that.

I don't know what that game actually does for warhammer, but my question is : is it necessary to know and like and care about warhammer and all that gamesworkshop world to buy and enjoy chaos in the old world ? or, is it like BSG, where you don t have to know the series to enjoy the game ? (although I did enjoy it more after I discovered the series !)

just to know, because I always felt interested in that game, but not particularly in warhammer stuff (i dont dislike warhammer, i just dont care)

thanks and cheers !

In 2 games out of the 3 I've played we have had people not familiar with warhammer world. They knew it, in sense that they've played some PC Warhammer games, but they were clueless to the Chaos God setting, Old World etc. They loved the game. :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS