A kind of magic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gilead te tuin lothain

Gilead te tuin lothain

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 04:32 AM

Any suggestions on how the basic rules for magic will be run in the new edition.....

Will we have a difference between Elves and Humans, or even High Elf and Wood Elf?

The Colleges of Magic will be in the rules, but what about rules to govern Black Magisters and Battle Magic?

#2 DeathFromAbove

DeathFromAbove

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:26 AM

MMMmmmm... let me guess ....

will be some nice icons (hammers, comets, etc.) on some nice spell cards (I WANT spell cards) that must be matched/surpassed by rolling a tons of dice.
Every surplus hammer (or whatever) will increase the stats of the spell.

If a sufficient number of evil simbols is rolled, a curse will come ...

#3 NewTroski

NewTroski

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:45 AM

From what we've seen in the previews, spells appear to be handled in the same manner as other actions.  Meaning, there's no separate rules mechanic just for spell casters.

AFAIK, there hasn't yet been given any detailed information regarding how human and elf spellcasters may be different.  There was a mention that even licensed magisters from the Colleges had to be careful depending on what part of the Empire they are in.

#4 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

I want my daemonology back!  (I'm aware that's never going to happen - just venting)

#5 Bertolac

Bertolac

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:29 AM

Given that there have been indications that WFRP3 is being brought into line with the WFB world, it might be that Wood Elves have their own deck of magic and have the opportunity to learn Amber and Jade magic, whilst High Elves have the opportunity to learn all spells.

No evidence of this, just speculating.

#6 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:44 AM

I also hope there is a sufficient representation of Daemonology/Chaos magic, Necromancy, Rituals, and a ton of Hedgewizardry in the core system. 

#7 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:09 PM

HedgeWizard said:

I also hope there is a sufficient representation of Daemonology/Chaos magic, Necromancy, Rituals, and a ton of Hedgewizardry in the core system. 

Would love to see that too, but I doubt it. There will be a magic expansion of course!

I wonder if the High Elves' magic is mightier than the College Magic ... I hope so, but I fear that concept has been dropped in favour of character balancing.

#8 DeathFromAbove

DeathFromAbove

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 06:32 PM

"Deck of Magic"

Music for mu ears ...

Have someone catched similarities, even in the used language used, with other games with cards?

#9 NezziR

NezziR

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

HedgeWizard said:

There will have to be some spells. I can't see a Warhammer game being released without cultists, necromancers, daemonologists, shamans, seers, or some other form of dark caster. If they are in the Bestiary, then they must have spells (in the form of spell card like entries). I'm guessing there will be a section in the back that contains the entries for casters so they don't have to be repeated. I'm also guessing the spell list will be limited and will be fleshed out in a supplement.

There was an example of a spell card in the 'Of Dice and Men' preview. The skill card symbols were further defined in 'Sample adversary spread from the Tome of Adventure’s Bestiary' PDF giving some insight into recharge, action type, difficulty modifier, check and requirements. Put the two together and it's not too hard to imagine how spell casting works.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS