general questions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 geekoo

geekoo

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:35 PM

(first sorry for my basic English skills as I am a french speaker)

I am a little perplexed about this new version of game. Not really judging before reading reviews or having this game in hands.
I have one or 2 basic questions and remarks. Probably will add some later.

1 - About skills and character sheet: Where are the all important social and academic skills on the character sheet? Could not really find a lot of things realting to that... (Its a real concern for me)
2- will the new system adapt also to social/intrigue situation?
3 - Is there also a system with insanity points? How will this work?
4-  I would like to see soon a complete lists of skills and talents.

- Are the "planned" campaigns or scenarios be the great mixed we have seen before of politics, intrigue, social and fights?
- Will the universe will be still sort of adult? I really liked the feeling of a dark and grim cynical universe with humour you could find in version 1.
Or are we heading for a more adolescent, clean universe?

I am a little afraid from what I read and seen so far but will judge later when I see more material.

Also all those tokens and cards and puzzle pieces looks really more like "very" colourful gadgets (too colorful for me and the idea I have of this universe). Those dice are so flashy...
Are all those little gadgets (tokens, character cards etc....) obligatory to  play the game? 
I simply hope the game will not loose its so particular atmosphere.

#2 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

1. Character sheet contains only basic skills. There are others that can be learned, but we don't know much about them
2. Yes
3. Probably, we don't know exactly, but there is some kind of stress mechanics, which can be a part of handling insanity.
4. Me too. But I suppose we will have to wait till the game is out for that.

- There are planned campaigns, but we don't know about what they will contain.
- Better to. Dark, grim and cynical universe filled with black humor is the heart of Warhammer world.

As for the tokens, most of them are probably not obligatory. You can play without them if you like.

And yeah, dice, cards and tokens are flashy...

#3 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:22 AM

Good questions; if the game follows the atmosphere of ' The Ratcatcher’s Tale ' is kept in the game, it will be sinister and adult. I certainly hope so, we don't want some politically correct ADnD like thing...

And after all I think Jay owes us a session demo video

#4 Necronomicus

Necronomicus

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:56 AM

I recall that Insanity points will be handled much like wounds, as in you recieve a card with a long term or short term effect on it.

#5 Necronomicus

Necronomicus

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

As in reference as to how wounds and criticals are handled the same system will cover insanity.

#6 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Necronomicus said:

I recall that Insanity points will be handled much like wounds, as in you recieve a card with a long term or short term effect on it.

I didn't know that, thanks for the info mate, good to know .

Every day I learn something new, I love this forum .

#7 geekoo

geekoo

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:45 AM

Necronomicus said:

Thanks for info:

#8 geekoo

geekoo

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:47 AM

Armrek said:

Good questions; if the game follows the atmosphere of ' The Ratcatcher’s Tale ' is kept in the game, it will be sinister and adult. I certainly hope so, we don't want some politically correct ADnD like thing...

Yes indeed! I do not want a cleanish RPG... Thats why I love this setting.

#9 geekoo

geekoo

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:54 AM

Other new QUESTION?

Did FFG work with fans fir this version? Did they take into accounts remarks/suggestions?

Its strange I have never seen before that much concern in an annoucement of a "revamped" setting/RPG.
Is this good? Well see in a few months.

I can't tell myself If Ill go on for V3. I have quite a few books of V2 and V1. A little fed-up to change again.
Also so much could have been done with V2. Settings, A real good campaign... 
Not sure I really like what I have seen so far . But seen really not a lot to have a definitive idea of the game...
Will they still work on the V2 system and edit new supplements?

This seems really like a mix of boardgame and RPG or a light rpg. Reminds me somehow the french rpg Cadwallon from Rackham. Not really a rpg not really a board game.

I personally do not want a light RPG. Now perhaps I am wrong.

#10 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:18 AM

geekoo said:

Armrek said:

Yes indeed! I do not want a cleanish RPG... Thats why I love this setting.

Political Correctness is something that we have to accept from FFG. They don't want a PG label or something similar on it. Daemonettes of Slaanesh will be banned or at least censored and the Harlot career has to be done by a fansite (substitute the Thug-career for the pimp) - you have seen poor Mrs Jackson during the Superbowl a few years ago ... let this be a warning to all Daemonettes!

#11 DeathFromAbove

DeathFromAbove

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:53 AM

All in all, this v3 is a mixing of rules, styles, tokens, gadgets, cards, etc., that is risking a lot:

Neither roleplayers nor boardgamers satisfied.

Roleplayers can choose to "customize" the system to clean up gadgets from the table (rendering pointless the buying of this new version).

Boardgamers can choose to "customize" the system to a more boardgame style, but loosing the board or miniatures or a more simpler (fast) system. (rendering pointless the buying of this new version).

My idea is that FFG is conviced that, in the end, the majority of the user will change to this v3 whatever it will be, at least just to "check" what's it all about.

I'm sure they'll right but, perhaps, expansion will sell less and less, until a v4 will come out and... all will start again!

Cheers!

#12 DeathFromAbove

DeathFromAbove

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:54 AM

And Chistmas is closing ...  

#13 Dustin

Dustin

• Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 03:45 AM

geekoo,

Since they have yet to mention any social conflict rules, I bet they will go with the typical one roll rule. For some reason most people who write rpgs think it is perfectly fine to have a system were there are a bunch of rolls for combat, but when it comes to interrogating someone or a debate in the hall of the elves, one roll seems to be fine, bypassing any real roleplaying rules to play out the scene. I have no clue why that is.

It also looks like there is no roleplaying rules either, other than the usual encouragement to roleplay your character and whatever loose motivations they may have made up at character creation. The "why the party is together" cards and the "stress chart" (or whatever those two new rules are called) looks like that is the closest thing we might get to actual roleplaying rules.

geekoo, if it turns out that they have not done anything to really ad to story and roleplaying, you should really just switch to The Burning Wheel. I was fine with these short comings with V.2 because we had been playing it before I read The Burning Wheel (and I was so proud of myself for getting my friends to drop D&D), but now that they have messed with the game, it looks like the only use V.3 has is for background material because we don't like our rpgs like boardgames. 

#14 Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:06 AM

geekoo said:

(first sorry for my basic English skills as I am a french speaker)

I am a little perplexed about this new version of game. Not really judging before reading reviews or having this game in hands.
I have one or 2 basic questions and remarks. Probably will add some later.

1 - About skills and character sheet: Where are the all important social and academic skills on the character sheet? Could not really find a lot of things realting to that... (Its a real concern for me)
2- will the new system adapt also to social/intrigue situation?
3 - Is there also a system with insanity points? How will this work?
4-  I would like to see soon a complete lists of skills and talents.

- Are the "planned" campaigns or scenarios be the great mixed we have seen before of politics, intrigue, social and fights?
- Will the universe will be still sort of adult? I really liked the feeling of a dark and grim cynical universe with humour you could find in version 1.
Or are we heading for a more adolescent, clean universe?

Hello you`re a french speacker you said, does mean you from France or Canada? reason I ask is that didn`t a France company had the licsence to produce WFRP products on french for many years? Even when GW did stopped its wfrp support, the French company were allowed to continue and produce many wfrp products on french for several years.

I do recall that some french rpg company even made an "official"  sequel to The Enemy Within. For a long time I tried to find an english version of that. But to no avail (before the days of internet). We even had one of the players in my group to start learning french. My real question to you Geekoo, do you know of what I am writing about? can I get hold of an english version of the The Enemy Whitin Sequel? Can you help me?  I know its basically from the 1 edition but I would love getting my hands on that french sequel.

2) I know that certain reputation cards should affect social situation. but cannot really say anything about the game mechanics around it. 

4) I fear that the new edition will contain fewer skills in general, but  will have many more talents, particular combat and action talents.

FFG have promised they will not change the mood or the story of the game, as Ross Watson said in the beginning of the video. Its only the game mechanics that would change. But again we know how much game mechanics influence the way of playing a rpg.

For instance introducing warhammer insanity rules on D&D would certainly change the perspective of how the game would be played.

When it comes to matters of adult themes and such, its more up to the GM and his party than it is to the publishers.  There have never been a harlot /prositute career for warhammer ,- as Pzvie might believe ,- such materials will always be fan based materials, for almost every roleplaying game.

Ciao

#15 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:20 AM

Do you mean Pour la Gloire d'Ulric?

javascript:void(0);/*1254169235562*/

#16 Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:25 AM

Yes

that is a french sequel to the TEW campaign, I don`t know french, but from the little I could read, I understood it took part in Norsca right?  And that is the quest I am interested in, but in english. do you know if there exist english translations of the work?

MERCI

#17 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:41 AM

I don't believe there is.

#18 Mal Reynolds

Mal Reynolds

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:03 AM

Okay

But can you tell if Pour la Glorie d`Ulric was any good?

I remember an english review of it gave it an average.

merci

from the icy north where vikings once roamed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS