HC boxed Books?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Brence

Brence

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

So I am wondering, apart from the lots of spiffy extra's and gadgets you get in the new core box, are the books Hardcover?

Rolling dice and killing plastic soldiers since 1997.

#2 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:58 PM

Brence said:

So I am wondering, apart from the lots of spiffy extra's and gadgets you get in the new core box, are the books Hardcover?

I believe it has now been confirmed that they are not.

#3 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Jay was asked in one of his designer diaries, and the answer was that they are soft cover...

And after all I think Jay owes us a session demo video 

#4 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:45 PM

Yeah they will be soft cover unfortunately.

But some small part of me still have hope, that there will be some limited edition with hard cover books (I hate soft cover books, so do not feed me with crap that they are too expensive, need bigger box, blah blah blah, and the soup was too salty... I do not care, I want HARD COVER, and I can pay for it, period).

PS: and yes, Jay owes us a session demo video

#5 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:25 PM

Hear-Hear; I am also a hard cover fanatic

#6 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

Armrek said:

Hear-Hear; I am also a hard cover fanatic

Yep, here's another one! Hardcover is more durable and feels a lot better than these flimsy booklets!

#7 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:32 PM

I don't have anything against soft cover - if those book would be like the instruction for Road To Legend then it will be very high quality.

Yes, it is true all the books are soft cover but still we don't know how many pages will those books have.

Session demo video or a demo adventure would be a very nice thing to see. Hope to see something like this.

#8 sudden real

sudden real

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 03:45 AM

Problem is, there's soft-cover and there's soft-cover. One is called soft-cover only because it's flexible nature deprives it of being called hard-cover, and the other is basicly a glorified page, deeply ashamed by the fact it's called a soft-cover, fully aware it's nothing more than two pages glued together, looking to become the target of a spilled drink, so it can desolve in embarrasment, hoping it's transgressions in coverage are soon forgotten.

My money, however, is on the first kind.

#9 schoon

schoon

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 04:37 AM

Yes, even though I completely understand why they did the books the way they did (bite-sized chunks of rules appropriate to the reader), I would also love to see them all put into one HB volume for the GM.

#10 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

Hear-Hear again give - give it one large HARD BACK TOME for the rulez!

#11 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:31 PM

Armrek said:

Hear-Hear again give - give it one large HARD BACK TOME for the rulez!

You mean like a core rule book with no dice or secial hand outs and stand ups and boards?

Hmmmmm how revolutionary. WFRP 2E could have never done that.

Anyway, I just see this whole 3E thing as very similar to the Spider-Man One More Day thing. Some people will like it, some will hate it.

I just happen to NOT like it. But I hope those that do find plenty of enjoyment from it.

#12 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:43 PM

Peacekeeper_b said:

You mean like a core rule book with no dice or secial hand outs and stand ups and boards?

No. Everything as it is, only BIGGER box, and HARD COVER books inside

#13 NezziR

NezziR

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:25 AM

Hopefully they will do that in the future. One large tome with all 4 books, the character cards and the skill and talent cards.

If they did that, and all you really needed to play was the combined book and the special dice, I wonder if people would still call it a board game?

#14 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:31 AM

I actually think it is a RPG,despite the use of cards and what not. And I understand RPGs can use unique dice (when they first came out, everyone considered D10 and D20 and what not as unique dice). This is not a boardgame.

But it isnt the kind of RPG I like. While I see room for many of the ideas here and what not, I dont see them as useful or creative or new. I also dont see this new "system" so far being more warhammery then the old game, course I havent seen this game yet in full.

And at $100 I doubt I ever do. Its not a dislike of change or new system or anything like that, its a dislike of reasoning.

I agree with what others have said, this would give a good feel for a WOW or Middle Earth (not as good as the old ICE game) or many other serrings (even perhaps PERN or Dragonlance) but it doesnt capture WFRP for me.

And back to the original thread, I think soft cover is ok. As long as books come out.

Good luck all.

#15 Liam Kelly

Liam Kelly

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:35 AM

I think HC books would push the price up too high. I can only see the idea implemented in a limited edition which would have a hefty price tag. I presume the information on the cards should reduce the wear and tear on the books during gaming sessions

#16 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 09:32 AM

Liam Kelly said:

I can only see the idea implemented in a limited edition which would have a hefty price tag.

Thats what I'm talking about, thats what I'm able to pay for.
The price does not matter, the HARD COVER does.

Limited editon with HARD COVER books for me please.

#17 cogollo

cogollo

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

Sunatet said:

Liam Kelly said:

I can only see the idea implemented in a limited edition which would have a hefty price tag.

Thats what I'm talking about, thats what I'm able to pay for.
The price does not matter, the HARD COVER does.

Limited editon with HARD COVER books for me please.

I second the motion.

Hur-Nir ran to the aid of the beaten man, recovering in the process a handful of pennies the thugs had let fall in the man's boots during their hasty retreat. - from Nulner Blues campaign

#18 Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

Limited edition boxed set with hardcover books, and including the Adventurer's Toolkit would be awesome. Especially if it's personalized, like Rogue Trader Collector's Edition, for example: a letter to a witch hunter, about burning you. :)

Oh, and of course it should have a sturdy metal box... ;)

#19 phobiandarkmoon

phobiandarkmoon

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:08 PM

... so, hope you like buying it at double the cost then...

#20 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 08:39 PM

phobiandarkmoon said:

... so, hope you like buying it at double the cost then...

If it's quality I'm paying for, then YES I LIKE IT.
As I said before, price does not matter, and I am able to pay for quality.

And since limited edition is only for those that want to pay more money I don't see a problem, You still get your normal price edition.

But if there is any possibility to get more quality, then I WANT IT, no matter the price (I'm an adult, and I'm payed good for my work, I can afford limited edition).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS