Newbie Help.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Metal Head Bard

Metal Head Bard

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:04 PM

Just picked up the book, and I am about ready to start reading.  From what I have read, it seems that this is a very confusing RPG.  Anyone have some tips for a bigginer?  Though I am not a bigginer to RPGs!

#2 Mantis Sine

Mantis Sine

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:23 PM

List specifics that are confusing and we'll be more help.  It's REALLY not as bad as it seems, you get quick, FAST, AND the GM toolkit just released (will REALLY help).

#3 commanderq

commanderq

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:32 PM

Its not so much a confusing RPG, as it is, realistic and detailed.  Basicly my you need to set aside two days or so and just read though it like a novel.  

granted you can skip around to diff chapters, but its best to read each chapter in its entirey then move on to another one.  Read psyonics all the way though, get an idea of what is possible within the system.  Then read though magic and summoning etc.  KI powers can get confusing, however once you get the idea, they are basicly the poor mans magic. (sorta a speak).  KI is really awsome lol.

But yeah, send us spesific questions and we should be able to answer.  iv read the book front to back made some creatures and ran several sessions. 

#4 Metal Head Bard

Metal Head Bard

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:56 AM

Read it front to back you say?  Lucky for me I have a few free days comeing up!  

I have two questions:

1) Is character creation difficult?  As in, for my first session, should I make pre-gen characters?

2) Are the Nephilims good to play as?  Or should I just start having the players being human?

Thanks a bunch!

#5 Skywalker

Skywalker

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

Metal Head Bard said:

1) Is character creation difficult?  As in, for my first session, should I make pre-gen characters?

Yes. It takes some mastering. Fortunately, once you have mastered it, you are 8/10ths of the way there.

I recommend either staggering the approach with Ki then Magic then Psychic powers. Or allow players to master seperate parts of the book based on their PC (this may require some trust).

Metal Head Bard said:

2) Are the Nephilims good to play as?  Or should I just start having the players being human?

Nephilim are good to play as is. However, Anima is a strongly human-o-centric game and Nephilim PCs will have quite an impact on play. On saying that, if a player is strongly enthusiastic about them, go for it.

Be wary that the XP penalty is actually a significant detriment especially over time. I house ruled this by multiplying the XP penalty by 10 and making it a one-off DP cost. YMMV

#6 TheTenth

TheTenth

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:17 PM

I'm on my first read too, character creation seems complex but with the explanations in magic, Ki ... chapters it becomes easier, as you understand how it works, it's easier to have ideas how to spend build points. Sometimes I had to read a chapter again but you'll se the logic of the numbers after a while. Some things seemed a little awkward to me (passive spells used in reaction to an attack you need to prepare in advance accumulating Zeon seems quite stupid as you can't know what will hit you 3 rounds in advance, I'll do some changes to that).

Something that is quite confusing is that the Nephilim are cvery well explained but humans are not, so you'll be very tempted to choose one over the "basic" human who has no real advantages (except of course you don't have an XP penalty), so I'll give some advantages to the human as it doesn't have any (maybe give 5 advantages points instead of 3). Even if not having any special abilities, a section about the same size as each Nephilim describing "social" advantages with a picture, maybe an advantage in changing classes like other RPGs (somewhat like the "jack of all trades " class - I don't know the Englsish name, I'm French) and maybe some secondary skills bonuses they can split as they see fit to show their adaptability. I don't think any beginning player will choose humans over "fantastic" classes.

#7 commanderq

commanderq

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

charecter creation can be challanging, however there are some pretty easy guide lines i can give you.  One, determin if your going to make a KI, Psy, Magic, or Tank, type charecter.  Then pick your creation points apporporatly, magic users take the gift, ki users take martial mastary, and psyons if they are full psy can take the 2 pt one, or if they are a hybrid class they should probally only take the 1 cp one, as they will have a hard enough time with just one psy let alone multiple.

Now that you have that determined decide if your playing a combat hybrid class, or a regular class.  Hybrid classes are things like Tao, Warror mentalist, Wizard Mentalist, Warlock, Warrior Summoner, etc...(tao is kinda hybrid but not that much...)

if your playing a hybrid class your going to be gimping yourself on key secondary abilities that make role playing fun.  I like that they are allowed in anima, but they take a good deal of skill to play correctly.  So far out of the 5 chars my friends have made and played with the stongest is an Acrobatic Warrior that is going to go into KIi powers at level 2 or 3.  the two warrior mentalists have some difficulty some times because they were forced to put fewer points into attack and defense to get there psyonics powers up.  the Tao in the group does pretty good as well, but even he had to divert some combat points into ki to make it viable to use.  No one has made a caster or a tank (IE the weapon master) but i imagine they are quite powerful as well if set up correctly.

now that you have that out of the way, you should work backwards from the types of powers you want to be able to pull off ingame, and then spend your DP.  but the class guides your spending any way.  you spend either 300, or 360 dp in combat, so either a 150 or 180 in attack and defense, which translates for most classes into about a 75 or 90 attack and defense.  if you wear armor besides leather you may have a bit less.

The second thing you should spend DP on should be your secondary skills, or your hybrid combat power.  if your just getting secondary skills at this point think about what your life point multiple should be, if you plan to be in combat a lot you should but 100 or more dp into it, if ou dont plan on being in combat 60 or less is fine.

NOTE: hybrid classes, should concider spliting there points up 3 ways, 200, 200, 160, with 40 points for a life point multiple of at least 2.  thats 200 for combat, 200 for there secondary combat power, either magic or psyonics, and 160 or less for secondary powers.

after youv spent your points and accquired any powers you want, pick a starting weapon and mabye some basic armor, (unless your a tank, then pick ot your 2-3 layers of armor lol).

There are alot of cool build ideas, and the game does try to everything possible.  FYI creating creatures is sometimes eaiser than making a charecter, because creatures can be very narrow and focused were a charecter is something that stays with you for a long time.

if you have any questions you can contact me at darkcons on aim.

#8 TheTenth

TheTenth

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:57 AM

I've just completed my first read of the book (about one week, I'm working full time, so about 3 hours each evening). I have experience in Champions and Rolemaster who are very heavy in rules so it helped me a lot. I'd advise for first character creation to choose one of the primary spheres (fighting/magic/psy) and spend the rest on secondary skills, not mix the different "powers" at first. And don't be too confident, if something seems complicated just read again slowly the chapter or part of the chapter, but reading the whole will help as it's very coherent as a whole.

#9 commanderq

commanderq

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:29 AM

Yeah, be carful about hybrid charecters when you first start playing.  The group i am running right now, i have a WarriorMentalist (PyroTech), Tao, WarriorMentalist(Psyco), Acrobatic Warrior and a Summoner.  So far the strongest charecters are the acrobatic warrior and the summoner, and the Tao.  the warriormentalist are not weak by any means, but they lack the sheer stopping power of the other more pure classes.

Also for anyone on the fence about summoning, it can be utterly brutal.  The player who made a summoner, his creatue that he summoned is one of the most insaine things that iv ever seen before.

#10 Loki_df32

Loki_df32

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:13 AM

on the character sheet im a little confused w/ base, actual,special, and sp, 1,2,3,4.  i may have just missed it during the read, but any help would be helpful.

#11 commanderq

commanderq

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

ah, are your refering to skills, stats?  for skills like attack, your base attack is calcucated by spending DP in it.  That gives you your base attack score, then you add in your stat bouns, for attack its dex, so if you had a +10 to dex, you would add a 10 to the base, and finally special refers to something out of the ordinary.  Lets sa you took some martial arts which boosted your attack or defense by +10, or even +20, you would add that in the special coloum.  when your done with that you add them all together and thats your totoal for which ever ability you did this for.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS