Photo

If the Empire can build a steam tank, why the heck can't they manage a bicycle?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:43 AM

The subject says it all - what's holding them back?  I demand answers.

#2 Moracai

Moracai

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:57 AM

Shitty roads?

Aaand the rest of the text is filler so that I can post my comment.

#3 steamdriven

steamdriven

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:33 AM

thats an easy one, the reason is this, ***this is games workshop***its our IP we say what happens and when!***no bikes!***mind wipe and false data implanted is 5...4...3...2...1...downloading....*** bbbbbzzzzzzzzzz nar hew sorry about that went all dark there for a second, now where was I?

#4 phobiandarkmoon

phobiandarkmoon

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:38 AM

To quote Terry Pratchett

It takes a genius to think of something anyone could have thought of

No-one's thought of the rather complex gear-shift mechanisms necessary for decent bikes.

Also, see previous comment on the roads.

#5 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:41 AM

They can't miniaturise the steam engine enough to  fit on a bike.

#6 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:51 AM

I for one am appalled that bicycle rules have not been included in the new edition.  This just goes to show that FFG have no respect for halfling cyclists.

Seriously, I'm reminded of the episode of Deadwood (a show about the real wild west which is closer to Warhammer in tone than you'd think) where a bicycle was ridden through town.  The poor roads were, indeed, prohibitive!

#7 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:12 AM

macd21 said:

They can't miniaturise the steam engine enough to  fit on a bike.

And yet they can fit one in a horse...

#8 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 04:36 AM

I can reveal that in the playtest, we dealt with several different types of bike. I personally led my group through a trail bike scramble type adventure over several different types of terrain and including inclement weather. And we also experimented with using the Progress Tracker to emulate derailleur gear shifts. I've no idea which ones made it through to the final prodct, but I imagine BMXs and racing bikes did, and maybe a couple of the others.

#9 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 06:28 AM

monkeylite said:

I can reveal that in the playtest, we dealt with several different types of bike. I personally led my group through a trail bike scramble type adventure over several different types of terrain and including inclement weather. And we also experimented with using the Progress Tracker to emulate derailleur gear shifts. I've no idea which ones made it through to the final prodct, but I imagine BMXs and racing bikes did, and maybe a couple of the others.

This is the most important update on third edition since that rat catcher thingy.  <shudder>

Seriously, are we talking inner tubes with valves or solid rubber tyres - and if so, where is the rubber imported from?  I'm thinking Lustria, which explains why Karl Franz has a half-lizard daughter.

#10 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:24 PM

Bloody GW and their 12 year old clientel! Steamtanks! Gyrocopters! Never ever would such crap enter my campaign world!!!

#11 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:22 PM

PzVIE said:

Bloody GW and their 12 year old clientel! Steamtanks! Gyrocopters! Never ever would such crap enter my campaign world!!!

Hey!  I used to be one of those 12 year old clientel.  A long time ago ...

#12 marklawford

marklawford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:56 AM

Surely the bicycle is simply waiting for a PC to invent it. If it's not already there, then make it yourself and hey presto you've become one of those downtrodden tinkers with a grand idea that populate this world. You could even have tales of rival bicycle "inventors", having to expand your range to accommodate obsessed greenskins, and lusty young widows keen to marry the newly wealthy genius behind such a profitable device.

It's all there for the taking. Just go out and do it.

#13 Theoderek

Theoderek

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:07 AM

marklawford said:

Surely the bicycle is simply waiting for a PC to invent it. If it's not already there, then make it yourself and hey presto you've become one of those downtrodden tinkers with a grand idea that populate this world. You could even have tales of rival bicycle "inventors", having to expand your range to accommodate obsessed greenskins, and lusty young widows keen to marry the newly wealthy genius behind such a profitable device.

Like he said, you could just have a character who is an Engineer and make it or have your adventurers protect one who is developing it and is at risk of being killed or the plans stolen, as a reward you could get one once come into production.

#14 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Ye Ancient One said:

PzVIE said:

Hey!  I used to be one of those 12 year old clientel.  A long time ago ...

Ooops  ... well, at least it worked - you're hooked now

If I remember correctly, I also found these things cool at that time... it's just, it feels so wrong now! Can you imagine a steam-driven helicopter

And if they really invented the steam engine, first thing should be the railway, and then 90% of all combat encounters in all published adventures (which happen to be on roads through an Empire forest) would be obsolete...

And, to stay on topic, it should be steamcycle, if any!

#15 NewTroski

NewTroski

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:05 PM

Just because something happened that way in our history, doesn't mean it would or should happen the same way in Warhammer World.  The people in Warhammer World have an entirely different way of thinking about technology.  Remember that they don't have factories or automation either, and Engineers are very individualistic - they could never agree on a gauge to make railroads.

#16 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:39 PM

PzVIE said:

Can you imagine a steam-driven helicopter

Sure, why not. All in all its a world filled with magic.

Imagine helicopter covered with dwarven runes. Or steam tank powered by warpstone.

Dwarven technology + dwarven rune magic...
Skaven technology + dark warpstone magic...

Yeah, it could work (im not saying that it would work flawlessly, or would not explode from time to time )

#17 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:19 PM

PzVIE said:

And if they really invented the steam engine, first thing should be the railway, and then 90% of all combat encounters in all published adventures (which happen to be on roads through an Empire forest) would be obsolete...

And, to stay on topic, it should be steamcycle, if any!

Steam Powered Locomotives cam qite late in the age of steam, even later if you include the Ancient Egyptian Steam engines... (Which suffered from a lack of application). I think teh main barrer to such use by the Empire would be that Dwarfs,Orcs and Skaven pretty much seem to have a monopoly on coal, which moves Steam Power from the realm of the mass produced items to essentially being only useful for one off devices made by the very rich.

dwarfs on the other hand, they have a lot fo coal and a lot of steam powered warships, possiably a train network (see Warhammer Online) and yes even Louis Gagnon "Flying Steam Shovel" style Helecopters. (Which as that was invented in 1900, I do understand people thinking is a bit of a stretch).

#18 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:32 AM

marklawford said:

Just my words if you need something make your own stuff about it. After all that is what RPGing is about

And after all I think Jay owes us a session demo video

#19 marklawford

marklawford

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:27 AM

Armrek said:

And after all I think Jay owes us a session demo video

I reckon that would be equal measures of fun and excruciating. But I'd watch it...

#20 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:36 PM

I wanna say thank you to all you guys who explained these steam-things to me, but I'm still not sold to steam-driven helicopters or similar funny devices which were only invented to attract a broader audience (or sell more extremely cool-looking miniatures)... somehow that's a little bit too ridiculous for me!

So, still no steam-devices in my warhammer world. But eventually I'll let Wolfgang Kugelschreiber invent the bycicle, have a Marienburger spy report about it back home, the cycle gets stolen, the PCs become involved entually and behind the whole plot is a Skaven Grey Seer, who wants to experiment with his newly developed warpfire-motor and is looking for a suitable vehicle to act as mount for it: Title would be Highway to Under-Empire! Not suitable for PCs with only 1 Fate Point or less...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS