Photo

Why are you getting it (if you are not part of the target audience for this thread, please do not post)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

First posted on rpg.net

Again, I only want the ones who are investing in this game, if you do not post here, then you are not getting it.

With that out of the way....

At first i was very sceptical towards this new "edition", and first thought of boardgames and the rpg version of an MMORPG, but after a good few teasers have come out and the seminar vids, I see that I was very wrong in my assumption.

First I think its wrong to think of its as a new edition as its not using anything resembling the old mechanics, and therefor is a brand new rpg in the Warhammer world.

Second - I feel that this new game mechanic and aids help promote the very act of role playing - the dice mechanics especially is a good fiction builder that lets the players themselves be able to set scenes and interpret the outcomes themselves more and lessen the burden of the fiction from the Story-Guide.

Also the Core are narrowing its aspect of the Warhammer world with Reikland, some will cry out this is wrong, we want to be everywhere, well there is enough info out there in books and on the web to do that. No rules needed to do that.
Me, I like the focus very much. Each region in The Empire alone is a huge country size piece, and there will be immense areas to explore - and Reikland is also the biggest social center in the Empire so it have every possibility of court intrigues and such right there - it is also the best place for novice wizards to start off in, with the colleges of magic and such and fewer witchhunters.

And there where outcry against fewer careers (of the previous version who had 250+). I liked to have a lot of careers, but the problem was with all the years i have been hosting warhammer, most where never used.
There are fewer careers, and a few staple ones from the miniature game will make an appearance, and thats good.
But the ones being kept is the ones people often play, and who says John Soldier cant be a farmer to whatever his career card says, he had to have done something before hitting orcs in the head with a sword.

And after I showed my group the seminar vids, everybody became exited, even the one that did not like the fantasy warhammer world to begin with and only liked WH 40k.

And we have played alot, Burning Wheel - Itras City (a Norwegian surrealistic 1920 rpg), oWoD, nWoD, Traveller, Exalted, Scion, Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu, 3:16, Summerland, etc. etc 15+ games more.

This will be a very fun rpg to host and play and we look very much forward to it.

Now, what about you, why are you getting it?

#2 42!

42!

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:57 PM

I've only been a player in Warhammer games (been GM'ing lots of other things), but have been wanting to try my hand at running some as well, but since the people I play with are fairly experienced Warhammerers ;-) then it's been a bit daunting.

A new version gives me a chance for a fairly new start as it has different rules (i definately prefer dice pools to the current "fail often" system), possibly a new view or different focus on the world and adventures in it and one that hopefully takes a bit more heroic approach (I know it's heresy to many but I'd like it). Another thing that has made me interested is that they are releasing a campaign box (sometime next year presumably), which I could use to run something new and epic for my experienced players.

So for me a new edition is the best way for me to get to try my hand at GM'ing in the Old World and since I like dice pools and freeform combat I think this version will work well for me as a GM.

42!

#3 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

Why am I getting it?

Hmmm...
First: I play Warhammer (and mostly warhammer) since 1-st edition, become GM some years past, and this looks like the only way to get some new info and lore.
Second: I came up with a new group without, or with low RPG experience lately, and since 3-rd ed looks like partially designed to bring new people to the game, it seems a good choice for them (no reason to immerse them in the old rules at this point).
Third: ...when I think of something worth mentioning I will let you know

#4 Bertolac

Bertolac

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

I'm getting it because I'm intrigued.  Whether I use it or not is debateable as I don't get to roleplay very often anymore - but my interest is piqued and I want to know how it works.  I'm a very setting focused person, rather than mechanics or roleplaying in general, I need to have a hook into the setting before I start. Therefore things set in the Warhammer World (to some extent including 40k), Middle Earth and sometimes Westeros get my attention, other setting tend not to (it doesn't matter how much I read how good Burning Wheel is, I've not got a hook into it so I won't buy).  I want to see all the careers and look at the cards and read the fluff text and flick through the books and generally peruse at my leisure.

I'm also interested in this new system because even though we've been at this ten years, my group doesn't roleplay often (a few weekends a year) and some of us are less into the rules than others and so each time we meet can feel like a beginning session.  The new player aids that FFG are including offer a chance to reduce the 'how do I do that again?' effect certain members of our group bring.

Finally, I probably won't use a lot of the bits, but I'm a sucker for boxed sets with lots of fiddly bits that need assembling.  I'm probably getting this for Christmas, and so I'll be spending the time after dinner fiddling with cardboard while everyone else falls asleep.

#5 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

I will buy it because it is labelled "Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay" and I like innovations. And this game, at least the propaganda I've seen until now, looks very innovative and new. Coming from the Wargaming corner, I prefer a good set of rules and visual aids.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS