Suggestion/Petition for Evil Races and Careers

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Gorehammer

Gorehammer

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Something I would really like to see in this version of WHFRP is the inclusion of evil/chaos careers and races.   An Adventure pack would be perfect for this sort of thing.  I've been playing WHFB for years now, started on a mixed chaos army when 6th ed beastmen were released.  Now sadly that army must be redone, but that's not the point.  

I also got into the MMO when it came out last august, dropping it around february, because the end game just isn't that fun.  But I enjoyed playing my marauder a lot.

I would love to recreate that experience on the table top.  I don't think I'm alone either, I would be willing to bet that there are a ton of players of both WHFB and the MMO who would love to continue playing Chaos/Greenskins/Darkelves/Ogres/Undead.  So Fantasy Flight, please, please, please develope an evil career pack! 

#2 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm hoping for that too. Though i do think that playing evil is not as fun as playing good guy in long campaings. But its warhammer and they MUST have both options for it to be true to the world they are making this rpg for.

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:30 AM

That would be fine, but only as long as they've got about 10 variant pre-gen NPC's for each.  CotHR kind of pissed me off that way in that you had all these ratmen with nothing to drop into your campaign..you had to sit there and write them up..didn't I buy a monster product to actually have monster stat blocks in it?  To be fair, SD put out something on the BI site afterwards...

jh

#4 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

Meh, thas what a beastiary is for, I find them to be Palyer/Gm tools - but examples is a good thing anyway. So long as it does not take away from more setting info goodness.

#5 cogollo

cogollo

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

If you want to get inspiration about adventures for evil characters, a good product was "Reverse Dungeon". It was published a long time ago by TSR for AD&D, but you could use the ideas there to create your own scenarios for "evil characters". I don't know how easy it will be to find it or if there's a PDF in the web though.

Myself, I would also like if FFG publishes a book for playing with evil races and ideas to develop scenarios, or even full campaigns with Orc or Skaven characters... I think that would add an extra level of innovation to the game and probably would be a good sale because there is nothing similar in the market, at least that I know.

Hur-Nir ran to the aid of the beaten man, recovering in the process a handful of pennies the thugs had let fall in the man's boots during their hasty retreat. - from Nulner Blues campaign

#6 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:18 PM

WAAAAAAGH DA ORKZ!!
I want to be big, bad and green .
Then I want to be furry and sneaky and have my own tail...
And in the end I may offer a sacrifice to Nurgle

/signed

#7 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 02:05 AM

Gorehammer said:

...Something I would really like to see in this version of WHFRP is the inclusion of evil/chaos careers and races.   An Adventure pack would be perfect for this sort of thing....

You mean this adventure pack which is coming aside the Corerules Box? Dont even dream, man  I would have loved too see most of the careers and maybe even new ones in the Coreset, but no. There so few "Normal" adventure careers in this products, that everyone has to waits its turn.

Bad boys probably will have their own boxes (each and everyone of them - Chaos, Greenskins, Skaven...etc.) IF this version survives long enough. And this we still dont know. It was nice that in the WFRP2 Chaos was very well covered (marauders, beastmen, champions, cultists and Daemons), also Skaven and then the Vampires. Next could have been Greenskins (maybe) or Dark Elves, but there was no longer time... However these will probably not be the first products in the WFRP3 line... 

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#8 Amketch

Amketch

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:08 AM

Must say I am not keen on this idea. Where I admit as a one off such as the old AD&D reverse dungeon scenario book it was an interesting concept, but as a long running campaign for me playing evil characters just does not work. There are a lot more expansions I would want to see before this one. I do not see playing evil races as core player characters for the game; they are antagonists to be overcome.

#9 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

I'd like to sign the petition against evil races.  Seriously, I just don't think there's enough mileage or - more importantly - money in it.  I guess it's a matter of personal taste, though - being evil just bores me, but I know some folks enjoy it.  If I really want to be evil, I'll just be a malicious merchant or bureaucrat - in terms of the setting, that interests me more.

#10 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 07:16 PM

I see a few rootings for orks as playable... I do not find them to be possible to have anything else then a session or two worth of entertainment. As their mental faculties dont give much more then - Fight, dont get hit by the boss, try to be better then the boss, eat, loot, repeat all the before.

Chaos, Skaven, Vampires, Chaos Dwarfs and most of all Dark Elves, all of them have a set up social structure thats have more possibilites to interact with the world in the same or almost the same way as so called good characters.
But as this is based on the miniature game, and there you can be on both sides of the fence, the roleplaying game should also give the oppertunity - at least the ones with biggest social interaction - And I do hope for a setting book for the Dark Elves, as thats the one I have been missing the previous edition, and with my own projects never had a time to make my own thing for them.

But I dont think we will get this in a good while.

#11 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 08:59 PM

KjetilKverndokken said:

I see a few rootings for orks as playable... I do not find them to be possible to have anything else then a session or two worth of entertainment. As their mental faculties dont give much more then - Fight, dont get hit by the boss, try to be better then the boss, eat, loot, repeat all the before.

Chaos, Skaven, Vampires, Chaos Dwarfs and most of all Dark Elves, all of them have a set up social structure thats have more possibilites to interact with the world in the same or almost the same way as so called good characters.
But as this is based on the miniature game, and there you can be on both sides of the fence, the roleplaying game should also give the oppertunity - at least the ones with biggest social interaction - And I do hope for a setting book for the Dark Elves, as thats the one I have been missing the previous edition, and with my own projects never had a time to make my own thing for them.

But I dont think we will get this in a good while.

Not everybody wants to play social. Some players actually like to fight and loot.
And greenskins are just great for pure fun and black humor "we are to tired to socialize" sessions.

And they are also more than meets the eye (ever played as a goblin shaman poet wannabe in a group of Orcs?? I have. TONS OF FUN).

#12 ffgfan

ffgfan

• Members
  • 745 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:20 PM

I would like to see:

Skaven, Chaos, Orcs, Undead, Chaos Dwarfs, Dark Elves and Lizardman.

#13 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 10:23 PM

ffgfan said:

I would like to see:

(snip) Lizardman.

Yes Those I woul like to see, but they are normally classified as good arnt they - As the longest opposer to chaos, and protectorers of the sability of the Old Ones - Well, humans call most non humans evil or something like that so

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS