Photo

Reikland as the Core Box region of choice?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:12 AM

As I understand it it is the Reikland that is what will be detailed of the Warhammer world in the core set?

Not a bad desicion to actually have a focus on a region then almost a whole continent. And it makes sense in a designer perspective. Reikland is the hotspot of activity in the Empire, maybe not on the borders of war, but still where a huge number of the empire humans live and many races visit (Marienburg is another place like this but independent).

One thing I do hope is that the setting books that very much likely will come will be meaty. 2nd ed Empire book was to thin and you could learn more about the empire by reading a few novels or searching on the net. But I also hope that there will be an Empire book, and not a book for each region - Rather a fat more expensive book, then several smal, not so expensive books but still quite expensive - as much of the FFG books are.

Also hope there will be a focus on setting books compared to adventure boks and equipment books.

#2 Poe

Poe

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

I hope FFG's approach would be akin to the Lovecraft Country books for Call of Cthulhu, in particular Return to Dunwich. It comes with a big map with loads of different locations (about a hundred or so) with accompanying descriptions and each and every one of those could potentially be turned into an adventure. Some are more expansive (like the huge cave system) but even the smaller ones tickles your imagination.

When I ran it with my group they mostly ignored the "real" adventure and just went off exploring Dunwich, and since it's so well written with so much information it was dead easy to just go with it as a GM. That's definately one of the good things about working with a smaller area, you can put in a lot more deatail.

#3 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:35 AM

Poe said:

I hope FFG's approach would be akin to the Lovecraft Country books for Call of Cthulhu, in particular Return to Dunwich. It comes with a big map with loads of different locations (about a hundred or so) with accompanying descriptions and each and every one of those could potentially be turned into an adventure. Some are more expansive (like the huge cave system) but even the smaller ones tickles your imagination.

When I ran it with my group they mostly ignored the "real" adventure and just went off exploring Dunwich, and since it's so well written with so much information it was dead easy to just go with it as a GM. That's definately one of the good things about working with a smaller area, you can put in a lot more deatail.

Yeah, it was a great book, and if FFG can do something akin to it with a whole Empire book, I will be happy. Each region gets a big information about small places, detailed map and so forth. And the Capital gets an detail to. Other cities and villages can be more generic in that they are on the map, with some detail with the most important, and then it can have s small section on how cities in that region is, like a sandbox build your own city approach.

#4 Poe

Poe

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:43 AM

Exactly! Personally I'm not very interested in source books about Cathay or Khemri or even closer regions like Tilea. I think much more detailed descriptions of the different parts of the Empire would be a lot more valuable. Maybe it's just me and my group's play style but we usually keep adventuring in a rather small area and rarely feel the need to travel any longer distances to foreign lands.

Oh, and I want maps. Lots of maps!

#5 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:53 AM

Well, I do want to have a few extra source books about the other places - first off in the Empires view - but i would also like to have the possibility in books to be able to host chaos campaigns and the sort.

#6 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

I'd be all for regional sourcebooks - i.e. one for each province.  You're right, WFRP would really benefit from the kind of attention to detail you see in the Call of Cthulhu city books.

#7 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:48 AM

Ye Ancient One said:

I'd be all for regional sourcebooks - i.e. one for each province.  You're right, WFRP would really benefit from the kind of attention to detail you see in the Call of Cthulhu city books.

I'm to, but all of them in one big (300ish) page book. With all the detail you'll need, and pure quality.

then

1 region book 98ish pages long with mostly filler material and loads of awesome artwork to distract from the real lack of information.

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:52 AM

#9 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:59 AM

Just for reference above, it would probalby behoove us to have some substantial attachment map to PARRAVON in Bretonnia.  I'm thinking that there will be some Grey Mountain action (darnit..we just finished our campaign there).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS