9 replies to this topic

#1 Amourgin

Amourgin

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 07:25 AM

Hi everyone,

I need some help on Ki.

I don't fully understand how it works and the point of it yet. Where in the book did I over look this?

#2 Raith

Raith

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:53 PM

Ki essentially replaces the advantages one gets in other games provided by Magical items.

Rather than needing a +1 magic weapon to damage a ghost in Anima you use a Ki power to invest your weapon with the spiritual energy needed to do this.

but thats only one facet of Ki, it also bolsters your abilities, gives you funky moves similar to those you might find in a Fighting Console Game and generally adds a level of power to your characters.

Ki is generated from your statistics as seen in the beginning of the Ki chapter (pg 94).

To use Ki however you need to have mastered some "talents" that are acquired with martial Knowledge (MK)

Martial Knowledge is generated through three things.  The first is the per level MK bonus your class grants, this counts level 1 as well as every other level you gain.  Technicians and Tao's start with a reasonable amount of MK but other classes basically have to wait for their second or higher level before they can start getting the cool MK abilities. 

The second way to gain MK is through the Creation Point Advantage "Martial Mastery" that gives you extra points.  This way your Tao or Technicians can start off ahead of the pack or other classes can gain Ki abilities at level 1.

Finally you also get MK by buying various Martial Arts, especially the advanced forms.

Once you have your MK you need to by "Use of Ki" which is the first talent in the Ki use tree.  You then need to buy "Ki control" which allows you to use your Ki Pool generated by your statistics (Basically you need to invest 70 MK into Ki before you can really do anything with it).  From thier you can either acquire other Ki talents or move on to building specific Ki Dominion techniques such as the sample powers n page 106 + 107 of the rulebook.

- Raith

#3 Amourgin

Amourgin

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 09:50 AM

That helps a lot. Thank you. I went back and read the chapter last night but it was still fuzzy before bed.

This has helped me. Thank you. I can now explain it to my players when I have them make characters.

#4 Mantis Sine

Mantis Sine

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:57 PM

Also had to REALLY get into this section to be able to explain it to a player.  Reading magick/psyionics will help with the "fill up/top off" way Anima works with these abilities.

#5 Luced

Luced

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 November 2009 - 11:22 PM

Can someone use KI and magic and psyonics. how much do ki abilies cost realy in points and time development an how high of a level o you need to be to realy start useing them

#6 commanderq

commanderq

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:13 AM

Lol.  Ki is a huge invesetment of DP if you want to be good at it.  Generally I would say that if you tried to create a charecter that used KI, Magic and Psyonics you would have to pick a wizard mentalist to start with.  And I would say that i could create a level 0 fighter that would kill you.  You need to focus your DP into one of these aspects.  I dont even recommend doing a hybrid class untiil you have played though the game with a single focus class char.

Hybrid chars suffer from a severe lack of secondary skills.  If you playing one, come up with a battle plan, as in carfully look though magic and psyonics for a combination of abilities that you think would work really well together for what ever it is you wish your charecter to be able to do.  If you dont do that ahead of time I can assure you the single class focused charecters will utterly blow you away in ability.

#7 Skywalker

Skywalker

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 10:04 AM

Luced said:

Can someone use KI and magic and psyonics. how much do ki abilies cost realy in points and time development an how high of a level o you need to be to realy start useing them

Commanderq covered this, but the simple answer is yes. Just don't expect to excel at any of it if you split yourself in this manner.

#8 Luced

Luced

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 06:30 PM

I was ore wondering if it was legal to for a character to useall forms of magic in the game. Thelevel question was refering to KI abilties and about when can a character take Zen or How long does it take say A Tao martala rtists to start reay being able to use KI abilties.  Like will a characte needto be Level 10 20 30 etc intill he can ue KI abilties Just simpley becouse of the level of energ the require or could a level 1 or 2 character be able to  utilize the bilties and have his poer grow steadily through the game.  and same question for th othe magics.

#9 Skywalker

Skywalker

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 11 November 2009 - 07:18 AM

Luced said:

I was ore wondering if it was legal to for a character to useall forms of magic in the game. Thelevel question was refering to KI abilties and about when can a character take Zen or How long does it take say A Tao martala rtists to start reay being able to use KI abilties.  Like will a characte needto be Level 10 20 30 etc intill he can ue KI abilties Just simpley becouse of the level of energ the require or could a level 1 or 2 character be able to  utilize the bilties and have his poer grow steadily through the game.  and same question for th othe magics.

Yes. You can create a PC that can in someway use all 3 forms of special abilities at level 1. However, that PC would be spread so thin that he would suck at all of them and have less options for all of them.

Looking at the classes, it seems like the recommended option is to focus on no more than 2 of the 3 options. Classes like Mentalist Wizard are specifically designed for this purpose.

#10 commanderq

commanderq

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 16 November 2009 - 06:03 AM

Honestly why do you even want a charecter that could use all 3 main abilies?  Specilization is what makes rpgs interusting.  If you could use all 3 abilies effectivly, then every one would do it, and no charecter would be unique.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS