Compatible with 1st/2nd edition?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mordante

Mordante

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

The only problem i have with the new 3rd edition is the lack of careers which leads me to ask this question, based on what little we all know at the momnet do you think it would be an easy task to convert the careers from previous edtions to the 3rd edtion? 

#2 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:01 AM

Based on what we know so far I'd have to say that it'd be possible, but definitely not easy.

#3 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:23 AM

The careers ... up to now the only complain I have about v3. We had so many cool careers in v2, and all of them are more or less obsolete now. I assume that every expansion box will bring a few more, but it will take time (and lots of $$) until we reach the v2 level.

Surely there will be some conversion formulas for the old careers (like the Liber Fanatica guys did for v1 -> v2), but you have a lot more to do in v3; the characteristics are a lot more different than between v1 and v2. But surely managable.

#4 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 12:44 AM

I think the short answer is Background = Yes and Mechanics = No.  Converting careers and making sure they're all balanced seems like a march harder leap from 2nd to 3rd than it was from 1st to 2nd, but perhaps I'll be proved wrong - WFRP fans are nothing if not industrious.  However I think the most effective strategy would be just create the old careers again in the new system from scratch.

#5 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

Yeah I pretty much refuse to throw away my Tome of Corruption book from 2nd ed.

It is too awesome and bad ass to not use.

And I paid money for it, damn it!

#6 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 05:22 AM

The game mechanics are clearly related (its not like weapon skill or toughness or basic and advanced careers vanished) but the sufficiently different that while the all important setting and background material doesn't change, the game mechanics for any critter, magic, or career is going to have to be redone.  I imagine its still possible to have the champion of chaos career path, for example, but that the mechanics for each career from chaos marauder to exalted champion will need to be reworked.

#7 KjetilKverndokken

KjetilKverndokken

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:57 AM

PzVIE said:

and all of them are more or less obsolete now.

Why, I didnt think that 2nd edition stopped functioning when 3rd comes out? They still work with second ed. Hell, there are a whole lot of people still sticking to 1st ed, and hate everything called new edition.

We do not need to buy more edition.

My group is buying this because of the system it has shown us, as it speaks more to create fiction, and less to be what I find both the previous edition to be - miniature board games (the exact opposite of what many are saying about 3rd). Had many great stories but hopping to what looks like a fun system of mechanics.

And I dont believe its posssible to convert - and you rather have to make the careers completly from scratch to fit the new system, as its not a modification of 2nd ed but completely new.

And do we really need 250 careers? Do we get better fiction out of it?

What FFG is doing is making a lot of careers from the Miniature games battle roles, we have heard about the swordmasters and wardancers being careers.. But also Bonepickers will be back. So it looks like it will be quite a good variety within the careers we will get. And then again, nothing stopping the Soldier from doing farming or whatever, even though the sheet does not say farmer.

#8 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:10 AM

KjetilKverndokken said:

PzVIE said:

and all of them are more or less obsolete now.

Why, I didnt think that 2nd edition stopped functioning when 3rd comes out? They still work with second ed. Hell, there are a whole lot of people still sticking to 1st ed, and hate everything called new edition.

We do not need to buy more edition.

Sure, but if you decide to play 3rd Edition (for whatever reasons), your 2nd Edition careers are useless. I know, I don't have to switch, but I will because I think that v3 will improve the game. And if I switch, I'm limited to 40 careers (at least, until the expansions are out).

And my answer to your question if we really need 250 careers is YES! The more the better!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS