Photo

How does this compare to other cardgames?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 zWolf

zWolf

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

I'm wondering how this compares to other card games?

is it  more 'WoW like ?  than Magic the Gathering like?

what about L5R?

is it fun? 

thanks.

#2 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:48 AM

It is very fun. It isn't really like either of the games you named. It is not a "raid" style game, but one of direct competition where each player controls a city the other player is trying to destroy. You have zones which you can deploy troops, develop, etc, and each zone gives you something special for deploying cards there.

Your best bet is to check out a demo near you or see if they have a flash how to play on the main product page.

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#3 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:34 AM

If I had to pick between one of the 2 games then it is more "WoW-like" than "Magic-like", but really it's not much like either. Or much like any other CCG I've ever played for that matter (and I've played a lot).

And yes, it is a lot of fun.

#4 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

I'd craft a new summary of game play, but I haven't a ton of time... so its cross post time!

From another thread:

In the LCG you're playing units (consists of one dude or many dudes) to zones, and each zone provides you with stuff depending on who is there... Quest you get cards, battlefeild you can attack, kingdom you get moneys to play cards with the moneys... Guys in battlefeild you attack opponent's other zones, do damage if they don't defend, once 8 points of damage has hit a zone it burns, and then do that one more time to another zone and you win the game (or that person is eliminated rather).

Combat, attackers allocate where there damage goes, and defenders do the same (simultaneous smack-age)... some keywords and other such effects in the game (corruption = don't use that guy for a while kinda thing... scout = random card discard if not dealt with).
--------------------------------

It shares aspects with other TCGs. But since its units don't "tap" to attack or defend, nor is there one, or a collection, of cards that provide you mana to crap out the other guys, nor is it a 'draw one card per turn' game... I'd have to say its unlike magic significantly.

It is like WoW, except that you do not represent a particular hero, the resource and card draw rule isn't linear (one turn you could have 3 moneys to spend in a turn, the next 7), you're trying to destroy 2/3 sections of a players city (do 8+ damage to it), and again, you can both attack and defend with guys (there is no "tap' system when guys fight).

L5R has alternative victory conditions, two decks, and many other zany things that this game does not have. Not that L5R is a bad game, but L5R's premise is over complicated a tad for some casual gamers, and the rule's entry fee for WAR:INV is quite low.

WAR: IN was interesting the first time I played it... then I tried to be crazy and built decks for it after having played just one game... that was daunting. I scrapped that and opting in to using the 'decks' the rules suggest to use to start with, had a GREAT deal of fun, and then slowly began adding and removing things.

Good times indeed. Simple and yet... not?

#5 Marius

Marius

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

It's an easy to learn, hard to master  kind of game.

Almost every card has 3 functions, depending on which zone you place it. Or you can play them as 'developments' making your kingdom more sturdy.

There is a strong analogy with "RTS" style games; You're mostly free to choose between resource gathering (placing your cards in your kingdom, to tax them for money,) exploration (putting your guys in the quest zone, so they'll find you more cards to play) and offense (putting them onto the battlefield so they can attack your opponent) - balancing these three elements is very important. And if you are attacked, do you throw your taxpaying peeps to the lions to defend your city, or do you take the damage, but keep your income? Do you keep your units questing, so you'll explore more of your deck and replenish your losses, or do you stand and fight, like a man, and take their units out?

There are few games that offer this amount of freedom. The only downside is that if you lose, you can't really blame manascrew or some other nebulous game concept. Your own bad management skills where your downfall! ;) It does make your victories all the more sweet though. Then shuffle up and do it again!

#6 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:13 AM

Marius said:

It's an easy to learn, hard to master  kind of game.

Almost every card has 3 functions, depending on which zone you place it. Or you can play them as 'developments' making your kingdom more sturdy.

There is a strong analogy with "RTS" style games; You're mostly free to choose between resource gathering (placing your cards in your kingdom, to tax them for money,) exploration (putting your guys in the quest zone, so they'll find you more cards to play) and offense (putting them onto the battlefield so they can attack your opponent) - balancing these three elements is very important. And if you are attacked, do you throw your taxpaying peeps to the lions to defend your city, or do you take the damage, but keep your income? Do you keep your units questing, so you'll explore more of your deck and replenish your losses, or do you stand and fight, like a man, and take their units out?

There are few games that offer this amount of freedom. The only downside is that if you lose, you can't really blame manascrew or some other nebulous game concept. Your own bad management skills where your downfall! ;) It does make your victories all the more sweet though. Then shuffle up and do it again!

The old and Wise Marius stole my words ;-)

No direct resource cards to worry about, no money=strong situatuons...add the good spent-money/fun ratio and an unusual strategic depth and you'll get the point. I've never played this game, but I feel the usual FFG card game appeal in it...Marius explained it well with the easy to learn-hard to master thing.

I've never had prolbems to get people into Agot in a hour, I.E., but everybody knows how's hard to play it "well", on a "competitive" point of view, so to say.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS