Asethetics aside, how will the dice pools work for NPCs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:10 AM

With the new dice symbols representing positive results using "Empire Centric" symbols (Hammer, comet and Eagle) do you think the new dice system will mostly be used by the PCs with the GM adding in extra (misfortune/challenge) dice, or especially when combat occurs do you think the GM will still roll dice in the regualr way using some kind of  comparsion mechanic?

Do you think something like a parry and attack from, or ability to hit an NPC demon (e.g.) will be determined by a single roll performed by the pc, with the demon adding in a requisite number of challenge dice to represent the diffculty of parrying against/hitting that demon OR do you think the mechanics will be more regular in that the Hit roll of the pc is compared against the parry roll of the demon?

I quite like the idea of only the pcs making rolls and everything else in the system add or subtracts dice from that pool to make it easier or harder to do something; this makes the whole game PC centric in respect to dice rolling, i think something like this could really work well.

If the mechanics do take a more traditional approach, then this could mean that the Demon hopes to roll Hammers on its attack roll, has some advantage  when Sigmar's comet is rolled and has some detrimental effect when a chaos symbol is rolled. This upsets my asthetic principles!

#2 Redcrow

Redcrow

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 04:39 AM

pumpkin said:

I quite like the idea of only the pcs making rolls and everything else in the system add or subtracts dice from that pool to make it easier or harder to do something; this makes the whole game PC centric in respect to dice rolling, i think something like this could really work well.

I've been thinking the same thing myself and I also like the idea of only the PCs making rolls, but I know there are probably a lot of GMs who wouldn't like that.  As GM, rolling for one or two NPCs is ok, but rolling for numerous NPCs during large combats can get quite tedious IMO.  Some NPCs would probably still need to be rolled for, though. Like the Ratcatchers SBVD maybe.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS