A question of the versitility of 3rd edition

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kruniac

Kruniac

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:35 PM

I won't go off on a tangent about how turning an RPG into a "MMO" RPG (4th edition D&D), or turning an RPG into a boardgame is lame.

Instead I'll just ask a simple question. Will this system be dynamic enough to allows players to play Chaos? Vampires? Half-Whatever-Quarter-Something-Messengers? A rock?

Humor aside, you get the point.

#2 Skywalker

Skywalker

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

My guess is in the same way as WFRP1e and WFRP2e. That is such concepts won't be in the core rules, but the rules look flexible enough (if not more flexible) to add in new careers and races.

#3 NewTroski

NewTroski

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

I haven't read anything so far that would indicate that.

It seems like it would be pretty easy to have a Chaos Expansion, with several races (couple different beastmen, couple different Northmen tribes) and several new career cards, along with whatever new skills those careers use.  They could easily include a new mechanic as well, for instance using Fortune points might be riskier for the Chaos worshipers, so it comes with different Fortune dice.

#4 Amketch

Amketch

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:38 PM

Kruniac said:

I won't go off on a tangent about how turning an RPG into a "MMO" RPG (4th edition D&D), or turning an RPG into a boardgame is lame.

But you have mentioned it; you obviously seem to believe this is what FFG are doing with 3rd edition.

Kruniac said:

Instead I'll just ask a simple question. Will this system be dynamic enough to allows players to play Chaos? Vampires? Half-Whatever-Quarter-Something-Messengers? A rock?

I’m not sure I would define a system as being dynamic by if it can support players being able to play the weird and the wonderful. I think a system that tries to make itself to universal will ultimately fail. Yes it needs to be flexible enough to allow for a great deal of different characters but I have found universal systems to be ultimately unsatisfying.
My group played a lot of Savage Worlds when it came out with the settings we normally played and initially had a great deal of fun, quick resolution and lots of roleplay. After a while though all the games began to feel very similar, we still play savage worlds if we play a D&D style fantasy adventure but we have gone back to original systems for the others.
But then I have never seen the attraction of playing a Vampire or Chaos or whatever in the Warhammer setting, its seems a bit like the trend that went through some of the AD&D groups when I was back at school, to play evil aligned character groups to “be cool”

#5 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:42 PM

From my point of view, the only thing that can stop you from playing what you want,and  the way you want is your own imagination.
Really.
There is absolutly nothing in any rules of any system that says you can't play like that, and if it is you can always change that.

I remember to this day, one of the better sessions I lead. My players played as a pack of hungry wolves trying to feed their cubs, when people found gold near the lair they were living in. The people build the roads, scared the animals, and was close to discover wolves lair. Lots of fun, more even, because players as wolves couldn't communicate normally, they had to gesticulate and make some funny noises. Hungry wolves with just teeth and claws against the entire army of gun equipped humans. And they survived .

#6 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:48 PM

I can't see why not. Playing a Chaos Warrior, a Vampire, or any other bad guy would basically use the same rules (and stats) as playing a rat catcher, wouldn't it? (ok, playing a Chaos God would probably be beyond the scope of the game). But otherwise, it's still about roleplaying. Given a few new skill/talent cards and some new career sheets, voila, here you have the "Bad Guys Expansion Set".

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS