Series knowledge required?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:06 PM

I'm not familiar with the new  Battlestar Galactica series, so there are some things I grasp poorly... Is series knowledge required to play this game, or not?

#2 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 05:50 PM

No.

And as that message is to short to post, I will say no again.

#3 Mike

Mike

• Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:14 PM

Although, knowledge of the series adds tremendous depth. Plus it is very, very good (even on a no scifi scale), so you should definitly watch it anyways.

#4 Royaldoy

Royaldoy

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:11 AM

If you're a fan of the game you would most assuredly be a fan of the series. The current series, not the 1970's series.

#5 Wladek

Wladek

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:41 AM

I actually have played BSG three times (each one with diffrent six players) and nobody exepct me knew the series. Still everyone agreed afterwards that the game defends itself really well, even if you're not keen on sci-fi.

So my answer is: 'no, you don't need to know the new series'.

However, if you know them (and like them!)- fun factor is due to increase a lot

#6 Joram

Joram

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

Royaldoy said:

If you're a fan of the game you would most assuredly be a fan of the series. The current series, not the 1970's series.

I haven't yet had access to either, but I'm willing to bet this won't be the case. I'll love the game but not like the series. How much you want to put up?

By the way, I like your signature.

#7 Tim Kelly

Tim Kelly

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:40 AM

I've never seen the new show, and only watch the original for about 10 minutes (right up until I saw that robotic dog).  I did 10 demos of this game at BGG con, and only about half the folks there had seen the show.  The ones who had watched it were frequently saying how certain crisis resolutions reminded them of certain episodes, and they really liked the "flavor text".  The other half didn't feel hampered by not knowing who Boomer or Balter were.  Both halves LOVED the game.

TK

"...I was born game, and I intend to go out that way." -- Rooster Cogburn

#8 Referee

Referee

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:04 AM

• Humans are good
  • Cylons are evil
  • Some Cylons look like humans

And that's pretty much all knowledge you need.

#9 Kamakaze

Kamakaze

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:23 AM

If you are intending to watch the show, it can be a bit of spoiler for season 1 at least. Knowledge of the show is not required to play though, and it might even make you want to watch the show :P

#10 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for the tip. I thought the BG theme had something to do about the robots' religious quest and a political parallel with radical Islam, but the game mechanics seem more of the "Reds are among us!" kind at first glance.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS