a boardgame/rpg hybrid?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chojun

chojun

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

one of my things is following the development of new games.  this fits my description of an rpg /boardgame hybrid.

http://www.dungeoneer.net/

#2 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:30 PM

chojun said:

one of my things is following the development of new games.  this fits my description of an rpg /boardgame hybrid.

http://www.dungeoneer.net/

Eh? There already is a Dungoneer role-playing game and that is not it!

#3 donbaloo

donbaloo

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:06 PM

I have one of the Dungeoneer card packs and its an okay game.  The instructions were tough to follow if I recall correctly but I think there's been some revisions and updates since then.

Honestly, I have trouble with the label of rpg hybrid in general.  When I hear the term RPG it brings to mind a very specific type of game and for me it really hinges on one thing that I'll have to refer to as "player freedom".  I don't even know if that's the best way to describe what I'm saying or not but its the closest I can get tonight on a whim.  But the RPG is about a flowing story where the players ultimately have freedom of action that is only limited by the logical confines of the fiction.  In return the fiction can respond with complete logical freedom. There's not even necessarily a predefined endpoint to the "game".  I would expect to also see at least some basic mechanic for determining how to resolve conflict in the game, conflict being I want this thing to happen but you want that thing to happen.  And that to me is ultimately all there is to an RPG.

So if you take a game that fits that description above, I'm pretty sure I'd call it an RPG in all cases.  You can add anything you want to the game, any level of mechanical complexity for resolving conflicts and reflecting "reality", any number of bits and bobs or dice or whatever, but as long as it still meets that above criteria...its an RPG.

Once you remove that aspect of the game, it is no longer an RPG to me.  Perhaps you still have some of the more popular mechanics of an RPG, like skill or stat improvements over time, equipment benefits, but its not an RPG.  I don't even consider video game RPGs as RPGs.  Not that I don't like them, I do.  But they're not RPGs to me.  

That's why I find it difficult to contemplate the idea of an RPG hybrid.

#4 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 09:30 AM

donbaloo said:

But the RPG is about a flowing story where the players ultimately have freedom of action that is only limited by the logical confines of the fiction.  In return the fiction can respond with complete logical freedom. There's not even necessarily a predefined endpoint to the "game".  I would expect to also see at least some basic mechanic for determining how to resolve conflict in the game, conflict being I want this thing to happen but you want that thing to happen.  And that to me is ultimately all there is to an RPG.

I totally agree a RPG is about total freedom to do what you want as player, you will of course suffer the consequencesin the game if you behave to extreemely, but that is up to the GM. When I make scenarios I often write phrases like  'And if this happens/not happens - improvise' :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS