Photo

What other aspects of the game would you like to see in the designer diaries?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 NewTroski

NewTroski

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:14 PM

I thought people might post here an area of the game that they'd like to see more detail about.  I don't know if/ how well FFG monitors the forums, but maybe they can use this to help guide future articles.  I'm sure they've got their own plans, but maybe if everyone here is wanting to see the same thing they'll change one up.

We've already seen how the dice pools work, which included an example skill use.  We know (I think) that Weapon Skill is now a skill and not an attribute.  I'd like to see more of how combat will work.  Is it opposed rolls or vs. a target number?  If the latter, what is that target number based on?

#2 sudden real

sudden real

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

NewTroski said:

We've already seen how the dice pools work, which included an example skill use.  We know (I think) that Weapon Skill is now a skill and not an attribute.  I'd like to see more of how combat will work.  Is it opposed rolls or vs. a target number?  If the latter, what is that target number based on?

Good point. If it's like other skill checks, you'll probably hit if you score a success. And if that's the case, I foresee a lot of hits... Which brings me to wounds, how will that be? One wound for every success?

Yep, I'd like to see a combat example.

#3 chojun

chojun

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

yeah, i would like to see a combat example.  with the symbol dice how does the damage and wounds work?    Does armor absorb damage still?  I'm assuming that the challenge dice come into play.  and judging from the ranged shot card extra axes equal plus 2 damage.  and if that is a bonus, then that  might mean that wounds could be pretty low.  maybe even lower than the older editions.   like maybe a range between 6 to 8?   and did you notice that the rogue type character career did not get wounds as a career advancement?

#4 donbaloo

donbaloo

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

We've heard a little in passing, I can't remember where exactly, that the system also supports social drama/conflict.  I'd love to hear more about this and how its handled.  Is there a specific subsystem for it or does it operate in the same way as physical conflict?

#5 cogollo

cogollo

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:49 PM

NewTroski said:

I would prefer to see an opposed roll in combat, as I think it would provide a lot of advantages over having armors reduce damage by 1, 2 or whatever fixed number. I made a guess of how such a system would work in a previous post, or at least how I would start creating house rules; the basics would be:

1. Each armor allows you to roll a certain number of Blue Dice. For each success you roll you'd diminish the attack success by 1 (or maybe you'd need two successes to reduce the attack successes by 1 to make combat more dangerous).

2. Dodge and Parrying allow you to add different types of dice to the "defense roll".

The advantages I see are:

1. You now have a clearer view of how the defense worked: did the armor absorbed the blow, or you half parried the blow then the armor took care of the rest?

2. You can add all sort of effects. Examples:

-an armor looted from a Chaos Marauder could be very good (many Blue Dice) but is cursed (you need to roll a Black Die) so it could slowly corrupt your character or make him crazy.

- some armors could add difficulty dice. Banes in difficulty dice would mean your character gets tired or your armor gets damaged.

- parrying could be simulated by rolling the Reckless (Red) Dice. Exhaustion symbols could be interpreted as your weapon taking damage from the parry.

- dodging could be simulated by rolling Cautious (Green) Dice. Hourglasses could then be interpreted as your character getting fatigued.

etc.

the advantages I see in a pool of dice are that you can easily think of new ways to interpret the results, so I think we'll see a plethora of house rules and variants when the game is finally published, which is very good as, in my opinion, RPGs should foster imagination and a pool of dice does it better than a simple probability roll.

Hur-Nir ran to the aid of the beaten man, recovering in the process a handful of pennies the thugs had let fall in the man's boots during their hasty retreat. - from Nulner Blues campaign

#6 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:50 PM

Wanna see the whole game... want to read the books, test-roll the dice, browse through the components... when will it hit the stores?

#7 Bertolac

Bertolac

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

I would also like to see an example of the dice pool being used for something other than physical activity, for example the social interraction that was mentioned. 

#8 NewTroski

NewTroski

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 07:51 PM

cogollo, I was leaning towards a target number, in order to reduce the overall number of rolls, but your idea sounds really cool.  Of course, I'm pretty sure this is probably set in stone by now, so we'll just have to see.  Perhaps FFG did something else entirely, there seems to be a bit of that going around

#9 Loswaith

Loswaith

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:12 PM

I'd like to see:

1. Advancement (character development) - how it works, what can get advanced, how things get advanced, how this effects or incorperates career changes

2. Dice pool resolution - sure we have seen what is a success but it wasnt realy mentioned why the rolls were successful, what indicates a failure, what dice are used when and why, whats does a typical roll look like or consist of.

3. How talents, tactics and the like work - its mentioned there are sockets for them on character sheets, is that the limit to what can be used at any one time or learned, do they need to be socketed (equiped) to have an effect

4. Social interactions - basically anything non-combat, how is this done, how are decisions resolved, how much effect do rolls have on this, how flexable is it

5. Flexability to alterations - how flexable is the system to being modified, do you need to make your own cards to accommodate changes

6. How does magic work - casting spells, effect resolutions, types of sells themselves.

7. combat mechanics - what, who and how much a character can do in combat, what constitutes a critical, what are some likely critical effects, fumbles?

I guess thats about it off the top of my head.

#10 Loswaith

Loswaith

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

I should realy have checked the updated dairys first :P

#11 monkeylite

monkeylite

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 08:57 PM

Loswaith said:

FFG are certainly milking the attention.

#12 Sunatet

Sunatet

• Members
  • 542 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:07 PM

For now I'm wondering about two things.

Attributes. What is the minimum and maximum attribute value, does the attributes change during advancement, or are they static.

How much dice will I have to roll, minimum number of dices needed to roll in a simpliest test, and maximum number of dices that can be rolled (with maxed stats, skills and many modifiers).

#13 NezziR

NezziR

• Members
  • 610 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 09:11 PM

I'd like to see:

• The backs of the character sheets. I'm really interested in the longevity of the product and characters. I need them to be able to do long campaigns.
  • The books themselves. I'd like to know how they are bound, how many pages they have, and the contents (specifically the GM manual)
  • Some of the 'non-combat' cards. If there are social interactions and such in the skill cards, I'd like to see them.
  • Two or more consecutive combat rounds.

#14 Mordenthral

Mordenthral

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 01:30 AM

monkeylite said:

Loswaith said:

FFG are certainly milking the attention.

Well played. I was going to say something myself.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS