Rules question - Corruption

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 comicthoughts

comicthoughts

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:00 AM

Does the act of attacking and/or defending "corrupt" the unit? I've read the downloadable rules, but did not see any reference to having a cost effect to attacking or defending.

#2 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 09:26 AM

comicthoughts said:

Does the act of attacking and/or defending "corrupt" the unit? I've read the downloadable rules, but did not see any reference to having a cost effect to attacking or defending.

There is no cost associated with attacking or defending. Therefore it doesn't corrupt your units. Currently there are only a limited amount of cards that can corrupt your units.

And obviously once corrupted they are unable to attack or defend.

#3 jogo

jogo

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:15 AM

Perhaps people are wondering, why you dont tap cards.

It is important to know, that corruption is something more than just being tapped.

The rules could be a bit clearer about this and comparing it to other ccgs.

#4 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 03:45 AM

jogo said:

Perhaps people are wondering, why you dont tap cards.

It is important to know, that corruption is something more than just being tapped.

The rules could be a bit clearer about this and comparing it to other ccgs.

Really? I don't think you need to justify why we don't tap cards? And just accept that this game doesn't. Seems pretty simple to me

#5 dormouse

dormouse

LCG Designer

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 04:13 AM

I'm with Osiris here. Rather than comparing this to other card games, it may be easier to just accept things as written (or not written as the case may be) rather than assuming that this game works like the game from another company (or really, even another game from this company).

A rule book that had everything written in it that you an't do, rather than the things that you can, or must would be the size of a phonebook. The rules don't say you pay a cost so you don't pretty straigth forward if you ask me. They talk about what happens when a unit is corrupted and how to un-corrput a unit. Their not saying that you don't corrupt units when you do X, Y, or Z seems consistent in the way such details are handled in other games even by other companies (not to mention comparing this game to others seems more likely to confuse the issue for those who have not played those games, as well as giving them free advertisement).

"words are like arrows, once loosened you cannot call them back"

#6 comicthoughts

comicthoughts

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

I was just asking because I saw a demo of the game by a person that bought if at GenCon and he was "tapping" when attacking and defending, but I didn't see that after reading the rules online. So, it looks like the demo I saw was incorrect. But the game looks great and I can't wait for it's street release ... which looks like October 31st. An earlier release would make me much happier!!

#7 Mig el Pig

Mig el Pig

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:25 PM

He might have tapped them to indicate which ones were attacking/ defending

#8 Marius

Marius

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 11:48 PM

comicthoughts said:

I was just asking because I saw a demo of the game by a person that bought if at GenCon and he was "tapping" when attacking and defending, but I didn't see that after reading the rules online. So, it looks like the demo I saw was incorrect. But the game looks great and I can't wait for it's street release ... which looks like October 31st. An earlier release would make me much happier!!

Maybe because he is used to it. First time I saw the game it took a little time to wrap my head around this too. Years of card gaming has left a bit of Pavlov reaction. Yeah, you have to use something to indicate which Units are attacking/Defending. Sliding them a bit upwards helps. At least that makes it a bit clear where you can assign damage.

Nifty warriors can attack and defend during the course of an entire round, though. Everyone is so vigilant!

#9 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 01:38 AM

I found myself sliding my attacking and defending units forwards purely out of habit, that's how Warcry used to work.

So yeah, gaming habits can be hard to break. But things are easier if you have the right habits in the first place. 

#10 vermillian

vermillian

• Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 05:37 AM

However, after being declared as an attacker or defender nothing prevents that unit  from continuing to attack or defend...

#11 comicthoughts

comicthoughts

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:18 AM

Thanks for clearing this up for me! I'm counting down the days until I can get my copy of this game.

#12 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:25 AM

vermillian said:

However, after being declared as an attacker or defender nothing prevents that unit  from continuing to attack or defend...

Absolutely.

So if you're looking to corrupt a unit to stop it from attacking or defending, make sure you get your timing right

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS