best expansion?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Auguil

Auguil

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

i admit that i don't actually own Arkham horror myself, ive only borrowed it from friends, but i plan to buy for xmas. i also want to buy an expansion for it at the same time, but its hard to choose out of all of them-  NOTE: i only want a card expansion. which is in your opinion the best to get to start off with?  as i'm really at my whits end!

#2 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

Rules Guru

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:00 AM

If all you are getting is a card expansion, most will probably recommend King in Yellow with Black Goat of the Woods following a close second.  And in reality, you can't go wrong with either - so get whichever interests you more from a theme perspective. 

Most will probably agree to stay away from Curse of the Dark Pharaoh or at least hold off until you have purchased everything else.  It is the most unclear and presents some strange situations that have no official answers and no consensus on the boards.

I also recommend that even if you do get an expansion the same time you get the base game, play only the base game a few times.  My personal goal was to play 1 game with each Ancient One before adding any expansions.  It will help you get the base rules down and make you appreciate the expansions more.  And if you don't go download every guide on BGG, then the base game will be tough enough for your first few plays.

#3 Lecmaco

Lecmaco

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

Today I'm just got my base game, I'm will get all the expansions if possible because I belivied that every expansion will give you difference kind of playing experience and fun.

#4 morpheus

morpheus

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:10 AM

IMHO best expansion is Dunwich Horror. It adds new monsters as well as new mechanics (madness and injury cards actually help investigators :) ) extra board can be a bit overwhelming at start, but it is not that big deal.

#5 Acebob

Acebob

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 04:45 AM

The best card expansion would have to be King in Yellow. Black Goat of the Woods is nice, but I feel like too many of its cards are circumstancial or don't play a large role in the game (if any).

King in Yellow all the way

#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:12 AM

Reread Mandy's skill...  It's not a second check, it allows you to reroll failed dice within a combat check...  Even if it was a cigarette case, it's still not a new check, it's a reroll— you either pass or fail a check, there's no ignore option.  Even if you think the cig case is ambiguous (I don't), Mandy's definitely isn't.  And yeah, I also draw a random monster for that encounter even though the card is badly written.  There's another card that is badly written, I don't remember in which expansion, that implies that you get a blessing, but doesn't actually say you get a blessing (I think).

#7 Auguil

Auguil

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:29 AM

thanks for the responses, King in Yellow it is then! 

:) 

#8 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:37 AM

Agh!  I've been cloned!  Damn you infernal forum!

#9 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:40 AM

Auguil said:

thanks for the responses, King in Yellow it is then! 

:) 

Blarg.  Don't listen to them.  Black Goat of the Woods would be more fun if you're just going to have the base set.  ::Laughter:: it'll definitely be more challenging.  I think KiY with the base set and normal monsters is too easy, BGotW will make fighting more of a challenge, and also, cults and corruption will be a big deal for you, even if you don't use the herald— plus, once you master the basic map, adding in the herald will bring you brand new nightmares :'D

#10 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

Heh...  Actually, the act cards might challenge you, but personally, I find it very unsatisfying to randomly lose.  You get a bad shuffle and theoretically the game could be over on turn ten regardless of how well you play.  With base deck and KiY cards, it's more than just a theory unfortunately.  Anyways, I just wanted to register disagreement.  BGotW is much easier to adjust in difficulty (just put the herald in or out) than KiY, plus it comes with extra monsters :') and I think the addded game dynamics are more fun than KiY's (don't get me wrong, I like KiY, it's just it's usually either brutal or irrelevant in my opinion).  C'mon.  Buy Black Goat of the Woods :'D Join the cult!

#11 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:54 AM

Black Goat also offers you the greatest thing since base-AH: GATE BURSTS  !

Seriously, once you've tasted those, you can't imagine a Mythos deck without them. KiY, even when using the Herald can be non-existant, since it's tied down to the Terror Track, while Black Goat messes (or tries to) with you pretty much every turn.

Dunwich Horror still tops all, 5 more unstable locations + new GOOs + new characters (evenly balanced with base-AH characters, none of that over..., oh you know which expansion I'm talking about).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#12 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:47 PM

::Laughter:: I've said it before and I'll say it again, you're going to be sorry for not having Kingsport Horror when Innsmouth comes out.  It's decent now, not great (and fairly disappointing compared to Dunwich, but not bad either), but the town's going to be much more exciting when the aquatic monsters become a real threat.  It *is* set up for that you know.

#13 Gijs

Gijs

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

I Haven't played "The Black Goat of the Woods" yet. So for now my vote is the "King in Yellow". I love the athmosphere of that one.

I also like "The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh" but less then the other. I also haven't won once with this expansion. (Not that i mind tho) 

#14 doc_cthulhu

doc_cthulhu

• Members
  • 727 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:10 AM

Hmmm... As I'm wondering where to spend my hard earned tax-refunds this topic brings in a good question. I've the basic AH with no add-ons. And I think it's quite easy and the end usually tends to be quite un-impressing. "Did we just close the last gate?" "Errr... Let's check. Damn. We closed the last one two turns ago" If you get what I mean.

So which of the expansion(s) would be best to make the game more interesting? This topic seems to guide me to buy Black Goat of the Woods or King in Yellow (propably both). Does either of those change the end game (or this some other expansion that does that?). Thanks.

The Daily Empire - An inspirational & resource site for all games of Warhammer

The Guild Blog - A blog about RPGs, games (and apparently comics) by my gaming group

#15 Fecktor

Fecktor

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

Well none of them changes the Victory Conditions, as far as I know, no...  although both of them add new ways to loose ;)

#16 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:51 AM

doc_cthulhu said:

And I think it's quite easy and the end usually tends to be quite un-impressing. "Did we just close the last gate?" "Errr... Let's check. Damn. We closed the last one two turns ago" If you get what I mean.

So which of the expansion(s) would be best to make the game more interesting? This topic seems to guide me to buy Black Goat of the Woods or King in Yellow (propably both). Does either of those change the end game (or this some other expansion that does that?). Thanks.

You mean end game as in once you have sealed the major hot spots, turns become "seal there, mythos fizzes, next turn" (fizzes in terms of gate opening)? If so, then DH, KH and BG all offer Gate Bursts  /  (depending on your view of them, I'm all for them). There is a certain masochism in seeing your hard-worked seal pop away, lately on the very turn I've sealed it. You're pretty much left thinking, dam(n), that's a waste of 5 Clue Tokens (adjustable). Thing is that last 2 games for have been 7-seal wins (gate burst today, The Dean yesterday), but haven't seen a single Elder Sign off the Unique Items deck. Then again, both games have still been 1h 30min or less in length.

Important consideration: play area size

DH and KH both add an extra map (no must to it, but seems wasteful), both of which are 1/3 of the base-AH map. Lest people forget my stance: Dunwich, Dunwich, Dunwich FTW  !

Another consideration: mix-a-lot or visiting

I don't care about separating the expansions once I've gotten them nicely mixed in. Black Goat only offers the first (though you could house-test the latter, after downloading DP or KiY rules), while KiY only really makes a big difference in visiting (I use mix them all in and even with the Herald, it's not noticeably more difficult). Black Goat, well, hope you don't mind seeing Dark Youngs, because there'll be a lot of them out there and moving about as well (when you use the Herald of course). Then again, you might have 5 DY in a non-BG Herald game, luckily they can then be removed by closing a hexagon gate.

#17 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:05 PM

Gijs said:

I Haven't played "The Black Goat of the Woods" yet. So for now my vote is the "King in Yellow". I love the athmosphere of that one.

I also like "The Curse of the Dark Pharaoh" but less then the other. I also haven't won once with this expansion. (Not that i mind tho) 

C'mon, you like atmosphere?  You *need* to get BGotW.  Join a cult.  Become increasingly corrupt :'D what could be more fun than that?

#18 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:28 PM

Avi_dreader said:

C'mon, you like atmosphere?  You *need* to get BGotW.  Join a cult.  Become increasingly corrupt :'D what could be more fun than that?

Avi, what's your current Corruption count, single-handedly in the Red deck already  ?

#19 Jake yet again

Jake yet again

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:01 AM

Big Board: Dunwich first, then Kingsport.

Small Card: King in Yellow, then CotDP, then Black Goat.

Lovecraft Country Horror - A completely FREE Big Box expansion for Arkham Horror, exploring the minor locations of the Cthulhu Mythos. Contains: Lovecraft Country Board, 16 Investigators, 4 Ancient Ones, 16 Skills, 32 Common Items, 24 Unique Items, 10 Spells, 16 Music of Erich Zann cards, 76 Leads, 4 Allies, 32 Monsters, 24 Injuries and Madnesses, 54 Mythos Cards, 41 Outer World Encounters, 52 Location Encounters for each Neighbourhood.

#20 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,285 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:10 AM

Jake yet again said:

Small Card: King in Yellow, then CotDP, then Black Goat.

Whoah! Even as a fan of DP, I can't really put it above Black Goat, BG just adds difficulty way more than DP (or KiY) which I like. DP over KiY for me, for one, it was my first card-expansions and also for the added difficulty OW encouters cards (even beyond the 3 GOO fight cards).

BG > DP > KiY

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS