Photo

New to the Warhammer Universe- any novels to recommend?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:38 PM

I know this is much lighter than the huge debates that rage in this forum, but any particular books that people would recommend reading to start in the WH universe?

#2 Lochmacher

Lochmacher

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:05 PM

Gotrek and Felix Omnibus, Tales of the Old World, and Vampire Wars cover a fair swath of the material.  I recommend them in that order.

#3 Mikael Hasselstein

Mikael Hasselstein

• Members
  • 2,230 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

If you read any books, I would recommend Drachenfels and Beasts in Velvet by Jack Yeovil.

They're incredibly flavorful and funny to boot,

And, you can get them used for nearly no money at all.

#4 runehardt

runehardt

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

I had the same question. I've seen so many Warhammer books but haven't read any yet. I was looking at Vampire Wars... sounds like I might want to check that out. 

#5 Foolishboy

Foolishboy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:26 PM

I would recommend Felix and Gotrek, the Blackhearts Trilogy, Any of the books written by C.L.Werner, Beasts in Velvet is very good, I also like the Enrmy Within.

This is a link to a previous Thread about Warhammer Novels it might be useful.

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp

#6 Knight Panther

Knight Panther

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

• Mathias Thulman Omnibus (Witch Hunter)
  • The Cold Hand Of Betrayal / Invasion (2 books including short stories)
  • The Adventures of Florin & Lorenzo (Lustria, Ogre Kingdoms, Bretonia)
  • Time of Legend - Series (Sigmar, Malekith, Nagash)
  • A Murder in Marienburg / A Massacre in Marienburg
  • Angelika Fleischer Series (Honour of the Grave / Sacred Flesh / Liar's Peak
  • Malus Darkblade

and many many more ...

#7 phobiandarkmoon

phobiandarkmoon

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

Anything in the Genevieve line is good, including Silver Knives and Drachenfels as previously mentioned. The Florence and Lorenzo books are also fun in a very wicked way, and do a good job of exploring areas of the Warhammer World outside of the Old World. The Malus Darkblade comics I also highly recommend

#8 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Drachenfels

The earlier Felix and Gotrek books

Beasts in Velvet

Malus Darkblade if you don't mind a protagonist who is a complete bastard

#9 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 11:27 PM

Cynical Cat said:

...and who has a pretty cliché, goofy name.

I mean, seriously: did he give that name to himself to sound ominous and cool?

"I need to strike fear into the hearts of men when they hear my name. Darth Mortis... No... Sinistrar Bloodblade... Naw... Morbius BlackenstoneRavenBlade... too long...."

I hope some other character does a double take in the story and goes: "What? MALUS? Seriously? What a ******. Is he in a goth black metal band??"

Malus Darkblade entered the room, striking a cool pose that revealed a troubled past, a heart of iron, yet just enough of a hint of goodness so that he can attract the ladies. Oh and his black cape flows in a non existent wind, like all the time. You know, like in Spawn, or Batman. Like that. He scowls all the time, gritting his teeth like in a Rob Liefeld comic.

HA HA AH HA HA AH AHAH AHA HAH A

#10 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:26 AM

Necrozius said:

Cynical Cat said:

...and who has a pretty cliché, goofy name.

He's a Dark Elf. By and large, they all have names like that. At least, when they're not good-hearted Drow attempting to throw off the oppression of their evil society.

"Malus Darkblade entered the room, striking a cool pose that revealed a troubled past, a heart of iron, yet just enough of a hint of goodness so that he can attract the ladies. Oh and his black cape flows in a non existent wind, like all the time. You know, like in Spawn, or Batman. Like that. He scowls all the time, gritting his teeth like in a Rob Liefeld comic."

Probably (well, not probably, they're actually decent novels for an insight into Dark Elf culture), but without the 'hint of goodness' (the man is a ruthless bastard whose hobbies include flaying people alive and breeding giant man-eating lizards as cavalry mounts). Not a troubled antihero by any stretch of the imagination...

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#11 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:02 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Probably (well, not probably, they're actually decent novels for an insight into Dark Elf culture), but without the 'hint of goodness' (the man is a ruthless bastard whose hobbies include flaying people alive and breeding giant man-eating lizards as cavalry mounts). Not a troubled antihero by any stretch of the imagination...

I'll bet that their culture is hardly any different than the Drow in Forgotten Realms, or Elric of Melniboné's race of evil elves.

They're all so evil that they all wear black leather with spikes, and they thrive on the slave trade. Torture is an art form and casual pastime, and all the women regularly bathe in blood to maintain their hot dominatrix look. ...and they all have names like Grimdark Scytheskull and Voluptia Bloodfetish.

#12 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,350 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:36 AM

Necrozius said:

I'll bet that their culture is hardly any different than the Drow in Forgotten Realms, or Elric of Melniboné's race of evil elves.

They're all so evil that they all wear black leather with spikes, and they thrive on the slave trade. Torture is an art form and casual pastime, and all the women regularly bathe in blood to maintain their hot dominatrix look. ...and they all have names like Grimdark Scytheskull and Voluptia Bloodfetish.

Pretty much, but clichés exist because they're frequently used, not in spite of that fact. Though those kinds of names tend to end up on the less imaginative Chaos Warriors instead.

Nobody ever claimed the Warhammer World was original... doesn't mean it's not any good, though. A cliché well-executed is still worth the attention, IMO.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#13 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:17 AM

Thanks. I saw several of those at Borders last night and just didn't know where to start.

#14 Liam Kelly

Liam Kelly

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:48 AM

To further your choice, I would also recommend Graham Mc Neill's The Ambassador Chronicles set in Kislev. I consider the Mathias Thulman series a must read so I join in recommending those

#15 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

Start with Tales of the Old World, a brilliant set of short stories, and then go on to the Vampire Wars Omnibus, probably the best Warhammer book written. The Genevieve omnibus is also good, especially for settings within Altdorf.

#16 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

I read two of the Vampire Wars books and found both of them to be poor.  I can't recommend them.

#17 Darthvegeta800

Darthvegeta800

• Members
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

Malus Darkblade saga is great. I loved that character. He is twisted and evil all the way. He starts as a jerk and ends as a jerk. But god is he a cunning deceitful and delightful sadistic character! It's my favourite WH:F novel series by far.

#18 Athenys

Athenys

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

Necrozius said: ...and who has a pretty cliché, goofy name.

I mean, seriously: did he give that name to himself to sound ominous and cool?

"I need to strike fear into the hearts of men when they hear my name. Darth Mortis... No... Sinistrar Bloodblade... Naw... Morbius BlackenstoneRavenBlade... too long...."

I hope some other character does a double take in the story and goes: "What? MALUS? Seriously? What a ******. Is he in a goth black metal band??"

Malus Darkblade entered the room, striking a cool pose that revealed a troubled past, a heart of iron, yet just enough of a hint of goodness so that he can attract the ladies. Oh and his black cape flows in a non existent wind, like all the time. You know, like in Spawn, or Batman. Like that. He scowls all the time, gritting his teeth like in a Rob Liefeld comic.

HA HA AH HA HA AH AHAH AHA HAH A

The books are worth a read, not LOTR level certainly but decent for pulp fantasy. The characters grow on you and (with the exception of the protagonist) their names are believable, thank goodness. 

It's not as corny once you realize that 'Darkblade' is the dark elf version of 'Doe'. IIRC darkblade is a term used to describe an ill-finished, defective weapon. Bastard dark elven children, especially those born of the lineage obsessed nobility use that as their last name. Some illegitimate fellow from Ghrond could be named 'Yrhen Darkblade' yet have no relation whatsoever to Malus' family. The only thing I do agree with is that Dan Abnett could have chosen a better first name for the main character, 'Malus' is a little too obvious . Funny thing is that Malus is not particularly handsome, is rather short (for an elf) and about as charming as a cragwyrm...

#19 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 01:02 AM

Them slayer tomes by William King is all warhammerish - Hail the King!

Start with Trollslayer and Skavenslayer...

If you can get a copy of Ignorant Armies from back in 89' you're really up and running!

Here's a link to these old blighters: 
http://www.trollslayer.net/oop.html

#20 Callidon

Callidon

• Members
  • 599 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:43 PM

Although not a Warhammer series, the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is fantastic if you wanted to get a parallel universe feel for low magic gritty character driven fantasy.  There are a lot of themes, characters and scenes Mr Abercrombie uses that would be right at home in the Empire.

The Blade Itself.   Before They Are Hanged.  The Last Argument of Kings.   Joe Abercrombie should write scenarios for WFRP imo.

STUFF:

Edge of the Empire: Talent Trees; Force Powers; Character Sheet

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS