No Halflings on Career Cards!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lochmacher

Lochmacher

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:30 PM

I know they mentioned them as a future release, but why, then, are they not present on the existing career cards?  If it's not still too late, you guys at FFG should include them in the heading texts along with the other races, with a note in the box that they will be present in future expansions. 

I would think having separate cards for the halflings would be slightly ridiculous.  An errata chart or replacement cards would be both time and space wasted (having to check the chart for valid careers is counter to the whole reason you have the cards).

Perhaps making things with the future releases in mind will help make the product more professional, polished, and playable, as that was the ostensible goal of a new edition?

#2 Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:36 PM

I imagine when they release the expansion with the Halflings they will also be including a bunch of new careers, several of which (Hot Pot Chef?) will likely be geared towards Halflings.

I think people are getting a bit too hung up on the art on the career cards - it is meant to show an example of another hero of that class, it is not a picture of your character. It gives you some idea on where to take the character, and what kind of clothes he/she may wear or weapons they may carry etc.

#3 Lochmacher

Lochmacher

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

It's not the pictures that concern me, it's the rule text at the TOP OF THE CARDS stating e.g. : Human, Dwarf, High Elf, etc.  Aesthetics, for me, are honestly less important than mechanics when dealing with an RPG (which SHOULD be more about rules and gameplay than components).

#4 Necronomicus

Necronomicus

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:02 PM

where there is muck there is halflings   AGAIN.......   Them Empire should march on the Moot and destroy the troublesome buggars once and for all. We have their pie recipies anyway, the Bretonnians have good food, at least their human!!!

#5 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

Maybe halflings can just have the same careers as humans?

#6 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

macd21 said:

No way will a halfling be admitted into the knight hood.

Well, then again, Merry and Pippin were, so I guess that it could happen.

#7 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:58 PM

Necrozius said:

macd21 said:

There may be other restrictions that would stop a halfling becoming a night. We know that you need certain minimum stats to qualify for certain attributes. While a halfling might, theoretically, be able to become a knight, he may not be able to qualify for the advances available in the knight career due to a lack of Strength.

Or they could just give us halfing careers

#8 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 10:59 PM

Necrozius said:

macd21 said:

Well, then again, Merry and Pippin were, so I guess that it could happen.

And given that Halflings can't use magic, wizard and priest careers seem a little improbable for them. It's possible that Halflings would use the same careers as humans, with the exception of ones with certain keywords, preventing them from doing things like learning magic, etc.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#9 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:05 AM

Here's a mind bender for all of you:

How do humans and halflings in the Empire view midgets and dwarves (REAL dwarves, not fantasy ones)?

Are they sort of in between? Are they given up for adoption to Halfling families?

#10 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:18 AM

Necrozius said:

How do humans and halflings in the Empire view midgets and dwarves (REAL dwarves, not fantasy ones)?

Are they sort of in between? Are they given up for adoption to Halfling families?

They are left in the woods where the beastmen can take care of them.

#11 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:05 AM

Necrozius said:

They get boned.  They may or may not get abandoned in the woods, but they aren't really accepted.  One of the characters in Drachenfels is a human dwarf who works in theater.

#12 Varnias Tybalt

Varnias Tybalt

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

Halflings will do just fine as NPC's. Im just gonna burn them anyway, and woe betide the player in my group that would ever entertain the idea of playing a halfling. He would be put through hell by the bigot racist characters I make.

#13 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,312 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

Varnias Tybalt said:

Halflings will do just fine as NPC's. Im just gonna burn them anyway, and woe betide the player in my group that would ever entertain the idea of playing a halfling. He would be put through hell by the bigot racist characters I make.

Wouldn't that happen as frequently to Elves and Dwarfs?

The first half of my current campaign contained a Halfling character - a friendly, if dubious barber-surgeon-turned-apothecary named Dogwit Rumplebreek, who had a tendancy to litter his speech with unprecedented slang (that is, he made up words for things when he felt like it) and whose unfortunate dealings with Halfling organised crime in Marienburg forced his swift relocation from the city. He, being the only nonhuman character for the bulk of the campaign at that point, faced his fair share of bigotry (that is, slightly more than the Bretonnian, but only because the Bretonnian was large, armoured and on a horse)... and in every case, gave as good as he got.

Don't mess with Halflings - especially not those with a professional reason to carry around a straight razor. In the Warhammer World, it's not just the rat-catchers' dogs that are small but vicious. Sooner or later, you'll find yourself in a dark alley, set upon by small figures ready to turn you into sausagemeat or pie filling.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#14 Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 04:36 PM

Lochmacher said:

It's not the pictures that concern me, it's the rule text at the TOP OF THE CARDS stating e.g. : Human, Dwarf, High Elf, etc.  Aesthetics, for me, are honestly less important than mechanics when dealing with an RPG (which SHOULD be more about rules and gameplay than components).

Ah yes - sorry, misinterpretted your comment. I suppose the race at the top of the career card is a big issue not just for halflings, but for all expansion races - I gather the idea is to shuffle new career cards into the deck as you buy expansions, and I'm sure at least some of the careers should be usable by halflings, ogres, lizardmen, or whatever other playable races they end up adding.

I suppose they could go the keyword route, or add duplicate career cards with new expansions where appropriate (though this could quickly get ridiculous)... we'll have to see how they get around this.

#15 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:46 AM

Matt in the Hat said:

Ah yes - sorry, misinterpretted your comment. I suppose the race at the top of the career card is a big issue not just for halflings, but for all expansion races - I gather the idea is to shuffle new career cards into the deck as you buy expansions, and I'm sure at least some of the careers should be usable by halflings, ogres, lizardmen, or whatever other playable races they end up adding.

I think that halflings are the only race where it is really an issue. For any other races that might be introduced (and there may not be any - wouldn't be surprising) I would expect to see unique career cards.

#16 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:53 AM

Necrozius said:

Dwarf, Halfling and a Human Midget party. That would be a sight... What else, maybe a former Pygmie Slave from Lustria or the Southlands. If there only would be Gnomes still in the Warhammer World...

Think about his one: If Human Midget could be as small as Halfling, what Halfling Midget would be? Pixie or Brownie.

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#17 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:01 AM

jackdays said:

Think about his one: If Human Midget could be as small as Halfling, what Halfling Midget would be? Pixie or Brownie.

Quaterling?

#18 ChaosChild

ChaosChild

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:51 AM

While we're on the subject, one of my current group is playing a halfling barber-surgeon and thoroughly enjoying it. So there's one player at least who wouldn't be able to play his current character in WFRP3 even once the rules for halflings are available, at least given the sample careers presented so far.

And no halfling thieves? WTF? That's probably second on the list of stereotypical halfling careers (after cook).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS