Photo

What other games do you play besides WFRP on a regular basis?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,062 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:20 AM

I'm curious as to what other games you guys play (as there are no females on this board evidently) on a regular basis?  Do you feel that it influences your WFRP play ideas?

Although WFRP2 is our current game of choice, we also play SW saga, and keep the dung&drag4 and Arkham options open.  My players really like Betrayal at House on the Hill, but it's out of print (like all good games evidently ;)  I don't play MMO's..I have a hard time sitting there /not/ being creative and just pushing the "win" button incessantly, but I can see why they are popular.  I haven't tried out the WAR MMO, but I did buy the book for ideas for my regular WFRP games and mine some ideas out of it regularly. 

Afterall, players don't have a clue if you're using official material or some crap from a Pokemon game.

jh

#2 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

Let's see...

Currently playing or running Dark Heresy (2 campaigns), Vampire, Blue Planet and a homebrew Cadwallon game. Until recently I was also playing Mage, but the ST moved to the UK.

#3 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 642 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

For the last couple of years it has been Vampire:  The Masquerade, Earthdawn, a lot of Dark Heresy, and some Arcana Evolved. 

#4 42!

42!

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:58 AM

Unhallowed Metropolis, Cthulhutech, WFRP, Dark Heresy, Exalted and soon Requiem for Rome (nwod Vampire).

42!

#5 Oathwin Oakheart

Oathwin Oakheart

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

Right now it's all D & D ( 4th ). I do enjoy the game.

It is a huge pain in the rear to DM for it sometimes.

Building encounters for an adventure takes a lot more time.

I tried very hard to get my gaming group to play Warhammer ( 2nd ).

No luck.

They want characters that are powerful.

A Rat Catcher just didn't excite them at all.

I don't have much hope of getting them to play Warhammer ( 3rd ).

I may still buy it. Looks great to me.

I play Mouse Guard the Role-playing game with my 2 childern. Great fun.

Also have the new pathfinder Role-playing game.

Bit of Xbox 360 and PS 3 now and them.

MMO's are a time and money sink. I stay far far away from them.

#6 Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:10 AM

We've just put our MGP Traveller and D&D3.5 campaign on hold, so right now I'm only GM-ing WFRP2, and HackMaster Basic soon - which is awesome. 

#7 Steerpike

Steerpike

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:05 AM

Castles and Crusades.  Great game.  Old-school feel in a lot of way, but with it's own unique mechanics (i.e. not a clone like OSRIC or something).  This game has been the most fun I've had in a while.

Call of Cthulu.

Dark Heresy if I can find a group who wants to play it :) 

#8 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Does Warhammer Quest count?

My friends and I have been playing that, basically, mixed in with some ideas from Hero Quest.

I feel like I'm 13 yrs. old again!

#9 Istivan

Istivan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:14 AM

well, im Gming a WHFRP 2nd ed

playing in a DnD 3.5 17th level

playing in a DnD 3.5 4th level

playing in a Star Wars Saga 5th level

gonna be playing in a Vampire game as well

gonna be playing in another new game for me called Godlike

and i might start running a ganother game of WHFRP 2nd ed or Rifts or warhammer quest or descent

these are all tabletop as well no play by post for me

#10 Wilfred Owen

Wilfred Owen

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 11:42 AM

I am currently:

Running a Vampire: The Requiem forum game that is going very well. 

Running a Dark Heresy campaign with four other players.

Playing a psyker in a Dark Heresy campaign that is being run by another member here.

About to start a Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition campaign, as well as a Dark Sun forum game next year.

#11 lordmalachdrim

lordmalachdrim

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

Palladium Fantasy 1st Ed.

HackMaster 4th Ed (switching to HackMaster Basic while waiting for Advanced)

Alternity

Traveller

#12 Sythorn

Sythorn

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 04:56 PM

In addition to WFRP, my group regularly plays my heavily house ruled version of Castles & Crusades.  Our favorite settings are Planescape and the Forgotten Realms, though we've dabbled in Eberron and I hope to run or play in Birthright, DarkSun, and Midnight at some point in the future.

We've also played Dark Ages: Vampire occasionally, though not as often as I'd like.  We recently finished a Wild Talents campaign and I'm currently using the One Roll Engine to build a science-fiction campaign using various game settings, mostly Alpha-Omega and CthulhuTech.  I've done this because I've yet to find a single sci-fi game that seemed complete on its own and did everything I wanted it to; combining AO and CT offered a nice combination of post-cataclysmic, cyberpunk, and alien invasion, which is exactly what I was looking for.

There are many other games I'd like to try, but I find that if I want to introduce my group to a new system or setting, I have to be the one to do it.  And despite being a rather hardcore nerd, even I can only dedicate so much time to tweaking rules and setting up campaigns.  Right now, Ars Magica and Shadowrun are at the top of my list of games I'd love to play in the future, as well as an old fashioned Call of Cthulhu grind fest, something I've never done because only myself and one other person in my group are Lovecraft fans.

#13 ymrar

ymrar

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 09:35 PM

Currently running a WFRP campaign. The recent games I've been in have been with GURPS with campaign in Discworld, Indiana Jones themed two-shot and a Deadwood-series inspired western campaign. Oh, and one of us came up with idea of Fallout trilogy (three-shot). He had photoshopped awesome character sheets and the games were really great. :)

We've played 3.5dd years back. We played it for years, but then WFRP 2nd ed came :) I'm bored of D&D settings and don't have time anymore to create my own worlds. Some of our players had played with wfrp 1st and introduced me to 2nd. We used to play D&D every week. Now we play maybe once a month. As we dont have so much time anymore, we get to play less, but I think our games have matured in recent years a lot. So its good. :)

We've also played a lot of a finnish indie game Praedor. It's based on the comics of Petri Hiltunen and the setting is awesome. We found out that the mechanic was surprisingly good. So I've used it in couple of Tokugawa period samurai campaigns.

So basicly we usually have one long campaign going on lead by one of us. The others come up with ideas for other campaigns or 1-3 long story arcs, which we play between the main campaign games if the "main leader" needs some more time and others are getting the "gaming itch" badly.

#14 Chaos85

Chaos85

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 10:44 PM

I'm curently playing (with different groups):

Pathfinder beta (for now, the DM is waiting for the final book to arrive, and then we'll convert)

HARP

Star Wars Saga Edition

And I will be running an Earthdawn 3rd edition campaign soon :) 

#15 Liam Kelly

Liam Kelly

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 01:55 AM

The only regular game happening at the moment is Dark Heresy. I will be starting a 3.5 D&D (currently in development). Boardgamewise sporadic playing of Axis and Allies, Arkham Horror, Memoir '44 and the guys are keen to play Battlestar Galactica.

This is my first post so hello guys

Liam

#16 Tiacapan

Tiacapan

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 04:10 AM

Hmm interesting mix of systems from people thus far.  Recently we've been playing:

WFRP 2E

Dark Heresy

Legend of the Five Rings

Call of Cthulhu (non-mythos)

The Esoterrorists

Ars Magica (5E)

#17 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:30 AM

I don't have that much time for gaming, so it is none.

I o play boardgames once in a while, but it is mostly WFRP all the way.

———
The time of change has come!

#18 PzVIE

PzVIE

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

The only RPG at the moment is WFRP. Years ago, when we had more time, we also played Shadowrun, DSA (a German system) and Private Eye.

But we play a lot of boardgames, mostly Eurogames and Wargames.

#19 Jaysin1414

Jaysin1414

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:45 AM

I GM a Victorian-Era monster hunting game using True20

I also GM (currently on hiatus while I get monster huntin' out of my system) a Marvel FASERIP (heavily house-ruled) game.

I play in a 4e D&D game, that converted from 3.5e (and 3 before that).  The drama involved in that switch (gaming public - not our game) makes me appreciate what a lot of the old-time WFRP players are going through right now.

I recently re-retired from World of Warcraft due to capping out at 80 and not being willing to put in the time to become a hardcore player.  Level 80 casuals can only go so far before the game gets dull....

Lastly, a friend and I are trying to get a Conan game going using the Mongoose OGL rules (though I'm going to try to convince him to give True20 a try)

#20 Jaysin1414

Jaysin1414

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:48 AM

Tiacapan said:

Hmm interesting mix of systems from people thus far.  Recently we've been playing:

WFRP 2E

Dark Heresy

Legend of the Five Rings

Call of Cthulhu (non-mythos)

The Esoterrorists

How is Esoterrorists?  I initially thought about using that when I wanted to start my 'monster-hunter' game, but opted for True20 (because of my players D20 backgrounds).  Is it pretty good?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS