Jump to content



Photo

(Android) Shifts


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

    Member

  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:42 PM

Hello,

I just went through the rules for Shifts, both light and dark, and I don't quite grasp the concept; what does it matter to a character to be dark shifted or light shifted? Does that scale have an effect on victory points or game stats?



#2 Bleached Lizard

Bleached Lizard

    Member

  • Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:22 AM

It's just so that the investigators play a balance between their own light cards and other players' dark cards.  You can play a coulpe of your own light cards, but then you have to play bad things on the other players before you can play your own light cards again.



#3 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

    Rules Guru

  • Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:51 AM

It remains to be seen if it has some value within the context of the cards drawn.  However, at first blush it does just appear to be a balancing mechanism to get an even amount of play between light and dark cards and force some player interaction.



#4 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

    Member

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

There's also ways to control your and others' shifting such as ditching additional Twilight cards to discount the cost, playing Twilight cards that match your Plot's color, or drawing Conspiracy tiles from the "Shift" stack.



#5 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

    Member

  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:11 PM

I guess I meant was "what happens when you get maxed on Light or dark scale"? Is is just that you can't play Light cards when full dark, and vice-versa? Or is there some kind of nasty side effect?



#6 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

    Member

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

silenceindigo said:

I guess I meant was "what happens when you get maxed on Light or dark scale"? Is is just that you can't play Light cards when full dark, and vice-versa? Or is there some kind of nasty side effect?

As far as the rules and our knowledge of the characters indicate, being fully Light shifted means you can't play Dark cards, and being fully Dark shifted means you can't play Light cards. There aren't any stated penalties for being fully shifted in either direction...

I think the next article by Kevin's going to either cover the Conspiracy, or the Investigators and their Twlight and Plot Cards (and their unique play styles). Should make for some real interesting interactions, especially considering how players can chase who they think is the leader by drawing their Dark cards.



#7 Mike

Mike

    Member

  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:07 PM

I'll have to correct you there, Zach. You pay Light to play Dark Cards (that is, you light shift). You pay Dark to play Light Cards (that is, you dark shift). So, if you were at maximum light, you wouldn't be able to play any Dark Cards and vice versa.

See it as if playing Dark Cards "recharges" your ability to play Light Cards.



#8 ColtsFan76

ColtsFan76

    Rules Guru

  • Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:15 AM

Mike said:

 

I'll have to correct you there, Zach. You pay Light to play Dark Cards (that is, you light shift). You pay Dark to play Light Cards (that is, you dark shift). So, if you were at maximum light, you wouldn't be able to play any Dark Cards and vice versa.

See it as if playing Dark Cards "recharges" your ability to play Light Cards.

 

 

Hate to call you on this one as well Mike.  When I first read Zach's post, I thought, "Oops, he got it wrong."  But he did state it correctly.  And so did you.

Big Head Zach said:

 

...being fully Light shifted means you can't play Dark cards

 

 

Mike said:

 

So, if you were at maximum light, you wouldn't be able to play any Dark Cards and vice versa.

 

 

Same thing!



#9 Mike

Mike

    Member

  • Members
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 12:31 AM

Jeez. I should drink more coffee. But at least I got it slightly better this time - at least I was right, too. :P



#10 Joram

Joram

    Member

  • Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:44 AM

Here is the way I see it:

When you are light shifted (moved towards the light end), this represents something good happening to you. However, you don't know what that good thing is yet. It isn't until you play a light card that you see what that good thing was. Naturally, once you find out what the good thing was, you translate those "light" points into the effect on the card.



#11 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

    Member

  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

I get it. I think from the lastest preview of this game, we might know more next week I guess!

I love that story aspect in the game...



#12 silenceindigo

silenceindigo

    Member

  • Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

I get it. I think from the lastest preview of this game, we might know more next week I guess!

I love that story aspect in the game...



#13 Referee

Referee

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

Yep. Hope to get this and play it soon. An interpretation that might help with the shifts:

To play a light card, you pay light, which means you have less light, which means you are darker, and thus you dark shift.

To play a dark card, you pay darkness, which means you have less darkness, which means you are lighter, and thus you light shift.

I think this is the way I'll explain this aspect.



#14 Bexley

Bexley

    Member

  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:19 AM

Referee said:

 

Yep. Hope to get this and play it soon. An interpretation that might help with the shifts:

To play a light card, you pay light, which means you have less light, which means you are darker, and thus you dark shift.

To play a dark card, you pay darkness, which means you have less darkness, which means you are lighter, and thus you light shift.

I think this is the way I'll explain this aspect.

 

 

I was initially thinking something similar- you reap material gains by playing light cards, and thus you have spent some of the good grace you've earned for those material gains.

Unfortunately, the reverse (converse?) doesn't hold up- you "gain good grace" by making other players' lives more difficult, which doesn't seem to fit that same idea. Though, I suspect it will all make more sense once I've actually played. I just read through the rules last night.



#15 Referee

Referee

    Member

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:26 PM

Think of it as your shoulder angel or your shoulder demon getting tired.



#16 Zion

Zion

    Member

  • Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:34 PM

What I get from this... whenever you are totally shifted (the shade doesn´t matter), you cannot simply play the opposite cards (when fully light - that´s no dark cards, and vice versa). Still you have possibility to pay for them by discarding other twilight cards from your hand.



#17 Big Head Zach

Big Head Zach

    Member

  • Members
  • 185 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:15 AM

Zion said:

What I get from this... whenever you are totally shifted (the shade doesn´t matter), you cannot simply play the opposite cards (when fully light - that´s no dark cards, and vice versa). Still you have possibility to pay for them by discarding other twilight cards from your hand.

This is correct. If you are fully Light-shifted you cannot play Dark cards, and if you are fully Dark-shifted you cannot play Light cards; of course, this assumes that the card you are playing requires a Twilight shift. If it's cost 0 (or been made that way due to discarding additional Twilight cards, or matching the card color with the plot color, i.e. the Twilight card applies to the current plot), then you can play it.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS