Do we need another thread on this? No, but I make one anyway, as it seem to be how thing are done around here.
Before the announcement of wfrp3, my view was that we didn’t need a new edition.
When it was announced, I accepted the facts pretty quick, and I have accepted that the latest books for WFRP2 didn’t sell enough, and that a new direction was needed.
That didn’t mean that we need a dice pool, cards, cardboard miniatures and special dice. WFRP2 was a hit in the beginning, and a revised version could have worked.
But as we are getting a new version, and there is nothing to do about it, I have chosen to be positive about it until I’m proved wrong.
By the way I have played WFRP since WFRP1 and have all books from hogshead and all the books for WFRP2.
So here is my hopes and fears:
- WRFP2 had easy rules. I hope that the new mechanics are as simple and intuitive as those of wfrp2. I don’t care much if the rules are different.
- I hope combat still will be lethal. 10 Goblins should be a danger even to an advanced character. I don’t like the idea that “lower level creatures” disappear and stronger ones take over as the characters advance.
- I hope the magic will function with the basic ideas of wfrp2. Meaning that you can cast as many spells as you like, but there is a risk involved. Tzeentch’s curse is a good idea.
- I hope there will be more freedom to customize the wizards when choosing spells.
- I hope the hedge wizards will get a better treatment than in WFRP2. It would be great if the old Elementarist and illusionists would be incorporated into the hedge wizard rules. But I don’t think I will get my hope fulfilled on this one.
- I hope the careers will be a good mix of civilians and warriors.
- I hope that there will be a stronger focus on other settings than the Empire. I want to be able to play an high elf in Ulthuan fighting dark elves. I want to be able playing a dwarf involved in clan politics in the dwarven kingdom, and I want to be able to join the magical world of the elves in Athel Loren. Don’t get me wrong. I love the Empire setting and want it as grim and gritty as today. But I don’t need another game that is only focusing on the same things as the previous ones. I want recognize the Empire and really hopes it will change as little as possible, but I also want settings that feel completely different. The elf setting could be more high fantasy while the human and Dwarf settings should be lower fantasy.
- I hope the game is supporting different playing styles. The WFRP world is big enough for both heroes and “Common” people.
- I hope the fimirs will return. But I know they will not do so.
I think the game will fulfill most of my hopes, but not all. I think the designers are on the right track, and I think the result will be good.