Photo

Wood elves from Athel Loren in the Empire?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Reclusiarch

Reclusiarch

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:04 AM

Hello everyone!

After watching the videos I have a question for all you loremasters out there. Last I read any Wood Elf army book the fluff stated that they were very secluded from the empire. They didn't venture outside their forest and if they did, they certainly didn't want to interact with humans.

So, how come this is a player race? I just can't figure out how a wardancer can go about adventuring in the Empire.

Thanks!

#2 Lord_Boofhead

Lord_Boofhead

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

Totaly agree with you on the Asri.

We are talking about the same xenophobic sociopaths here right?

#3 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:56 AM

I'm a little confused: you can be wood elves in WFRP 2nd edition.

I also remember Careers that are distinclty, or exclusively for  Wood Elfves. Like the Kithband Warrior and Ghost Strider.

#4 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:32 AM

Wood Elves aren't just in Athel Loren.  There's a handful of hidden elf settlements scattered through the great forests of the Empire.

#5 Foolishboy

Foolishboy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:50 AM

In WFRPv2 there seems to be some debate over whether the PC Wood Elves are Wood Elves or just forest dwelling High Elves.

#6 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

It seems like they want to please all who have an interest in warhammer. So saying that the woodelves are from Athel Loren will potetialy make Warhammer fantasy battle Wood elf players curious about WFRP3.

I know that a lot of WFB Empire players did buy Sigmars Heir for the background stuff. 

Even if I still want, and will get, the Empire as a core, I hope FFG quickly will describe the realms of the Dwarfs, High elves and Wood elves of Athel Loren. Making it possible to put adventures in these realms too.

#7 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

There was always a bit of a disconnect between the wood elves of WFB and WFRP. Those in the Wood Elf army book were described as being from Athel Loren, fanatically xenophobic and never left the forest. The Wood Elves of WFRP could be found throughout the Old World, were isolationist and tended to interact with humans reasonably regularly.

#8 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:43 PM

The Laurelorn forest in Nordland is the place where Empire "woodelves" come from.

———
The time of change has come!

#9 jackdays

jackdays

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

It is mentioned that there are also small settlements of Wood Elves in the great forests of Talabecland. And in the forests of Kislev. There are probably some small settlements/outpost in other places.

Welcome to grim and perilous Norsca. Welcome to www.kalevalahammer.com

Enter freely and of your own free will, and leave some of your happiness...

kalevalahammer@gmail.com

#10 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 02:11 AM

Perhaps these isolationists and xenophobes feel compelled to exit their woodlands due to the encroachment of Chaos or something.

Perhaps they feel uneasy because the vast meatshield that is the Empire is severely weakened, so they feel compelled to get involved in their struggles?

Who knows. Even the Giant Eagles in Lord of the Rings decided suddenly to give a damn and help out at the last minute.

#11 Gilead te tuin lothain

Gilead te tuin lothain

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

Necrozius said:

Perhaps these isolationists and xenophobes feel compelled to exit their woodlands due to the encroachment of Chaos or something.

Perhaps they feel uneasy because the vast meatshield that is the Empire is severely weakened, so they feel compelled to get involved in their struggles?

Who knows. Even the Giant Eagles in Lord of the Rings decided suddenly to give a damn and help out at the last minute.

I believe that the last WFB Wood Elves supplement mentions Naieth the Prophetess as directing the nobles of Athel Loren to begin hunting Beastmen in the wider world.

#12 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

macd21 said:

There was always a bit of a disconnect between the wood elves of WFB and WFRP. Those in the Wood Elf army book were described as being from Athel Loren, fanatically xenophobic and never left the forest. The Wood Elves of WFRP could be found throughout the Old World, were isolationist and tended to interact with humans reasonably regularly.

Well the Elf settlements in the Empire are pretty small and thus unlikely to raise WFB army so the only Wood Elves with an army would be those of  Athel Loren.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS