Photo

Some rules questions - (Yes, Nate, it's just like MC all over again. LOL)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wytefang

Wytefang

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

I was extremely lucky to have someone nab a copy of this very cool new LCG while at GenCon for me.  :)  Now I have a small list of questions for anyone "in the know" to answer.  Many thanks in advance for any answers provided by anyone.  :D

1. Card #59 - Followers of Mork - "Forced: After this unit enters play, each player takes 2 indirect damage. (Players allocate their own indirect damage.)"

Q: What's different about Indirect Damage versus normal Damage?  Is it simply that Indirect Damage is damage that happens outside of combat?

2. Card #80 - Troll Vomit - "Play during your turn.  Action: Destroy all units in play."

Q: First, seriously??  I'm a bit confused as to how any single unit throwing up would be capable of wiping out all the units in play?  Is this like some sort of Vomit rain falling down across hundreds of yards of battlefield?  Very strange and from a thematic viewpoint, it doesn't seem to match very well unless there's something I'm missing?  Anyway, my real question is: How is IN PLAY defined?  Every unit on the table at the moment this action is taken (that's what I'd assume)?

3. Q: If a card says the words, "Target Unit" but fails to specify Opponent's Units or Your Own Units, is it safe to assume that you can choose any player's unit to use that ability on?? 

4. Card #92 - Bloodthirster - "Damage cannot be cancelled.  Forced: After your turn begins, each player must sacrifice a unit in this corresponding zone."

Q1: If Bloodthirster is the only Unit in that Zone, would he be susceptible to his own required Forced effect of being sacrificed?  I'm assuming so.

Q2: What Damage is the first part of Bloodthirster's power refering to?  The damage that he inflicts is what I'm guessing but just want to be sure.

5. Card #20 - Stubborn Refusal - "Action: Move all damage from one target unit to another target unit in any player's corresponding zone."

Q: Just to be sure, I could take damage off of my own unit (in its zone) and then place it onto an opposing unit in their corresponding zone?

6. Card #10 - Dwarf Ranger - "Scout.  Quest. Forced: After one of your other Dwarven Units leaves play, deal 1 damage to one target unit or capital."

Q: If the Dwarf Ranger is the only other unit left "in play", would it have to take this damage?  Again, I'm assuming yes.

7. Card #30 - The Greatswords - "Forced: After a unit enters this zone, The Greatswords gain 1 power until the end of the turn."

Q: Can this ability be cumulative if more than one unit enters the zone?  So if three units enter the zone, one after the other, would The Greatswords receive 3 power from those units entering the zone?

8. General Question - Can cards abilities be cumulative?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all for now.  Thanks folks!

#2 Marius

Marius

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

1) Indirect damage is allocated by the player receiving it to it's own units / capitol any way they want.

2) Other units see the Troll vomit, and as an involuntairy reaction, they start to vomit as well. This triggers a chain reaction of puke, filling the entire warzone with lunch. Then everyone slips, dies and get dissolved in their own stomach content.

3) You can choose any unit you want, friend or foe.

4) Q1) Yes, he's that bloodthirsty. Q2) All damage. If it's damage, it cannot be cancelled.

5) Yes, you can.

6) If anything, it's likely that your opponent still has a capital. Chances are you want to damage that first.

7) Yes. Neat huh?

8) Yes, they are.

#3 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:26 PM

Marius has the answers spot on in my opinion.

To Answer your question "What is in play", quite simply anything that isn't in your hand, your deck pile or your discard pile, and is in one of your 'zones'.

Developments are considered in play, but are not considered their actual card type (i.e units or tactics), they are just generic developments.

Osiris

#4 jogo

jogo

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

Osiris said:

To Answer your question "What is in play", quite simply anything that isn't in your hand, your deck pile or your discard pile, and is in one of your 'zones'.

And if it is not considered out of the game due to same card effect (I have not been going through the entire set, may be there is one card with this effect, if not ccgs are likely to get some cards with these "out of game" things).

#5 Wytefang

Wytefang

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:06 AM

To clarify about Bloodthirster's "Damage is uncancellable" ability.

So this means that while he is in play, Damage cannot be canceled by anything? And that goes for you OR your opponent's damage?

I would have thought it was just referring to damage he dealt. Where is there some info that would support that conclusion (that this ability refers to ALL damage in the game while he's in play)? Just wondering, not trying to be argumentative here by any means. :)

I definitely appreciate any info people may have (particularly those who got to playtest or play at GenCon and were able to get rules questions answered there).

:)

#6 jogo

jogo

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

In a semantic/logical sense, I would say, only damage he deals is uncancellable.

But the card has no restriction on it, so meaning general damage (in my sense).

#7 Marius

Marius

• Members
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

Wytefang said:

To clarify about Bloodthirster's "Damage is uncancellable" ability.

So this means that while he is in play, Damage cannot be canceled by anything? And that goes for you OR your opponent's damage?

I would have thought it was just referring to damage he dealt. Where is there some info that would support that conclusion (that this ability refers to ALL damage in the game while he's in play)? Just wondering, not trying to be argumentative here by any means. :)

I definitely appreciate any info people may have (particularly those who got to playtest or play at GenCon and were able to get rules questions answered there).

:)

Well, Bloodthirster doesn't deal damage by himself. Oh, there is battle, but al Bloodthirster does is add 'power' to your 'damage pool' - on a mechanical point of view it doesn't actually fight. ;)

If it would exclude some types or targets of damage, the card would specify it: "While Bloodthirster is in combat damage can't be cancelled" or something like that. Or "Damage dealt to opposing units and capitals can't be cancelled."

It doesn't specify, so yeah, it cuts through toughness and events like a hot knife trough butter. All the time.

#8 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

The correct templating for Bloodthirster would be "This units damage is uncancellable" IF it was refering to just the Bloodthirster.

However that restriction does not exist on the card and therefore the rule is applied to the game as a general rule. In Bloothirsters instance, this means that across the whole game no damage may be prevented and toughness is now a redundant skill.

This very much reminds me of a daemon character from the Tabletop game (WFB) who gives every unit on the battlefield hatred (both friend and foe )

Osiris

#9 Wytefang

Wytefang

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:59 AM

Sounds great - just as an FYI, I'm by no means a stranger to CCG/LCG rules concepts having player nearly every single CCG at some point or the other (yes, I'm just that old...sigh). 

Thanks for the insight shared though - this seems to be a powerful, powerful card then, all things considered.  :) 

#10 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:32 AM

Wytefang said:

Sounds great - just as an FYI, I'm by no means a stranger to CCG/LCG rules concepts having player nearly every single CCG at some point or the other (yes, I'm just that old...sigh). 

Thanks for the insight shared though - this seems to be a powerful, powerful card then, all things considered.  :) 

No problems my friend, never thought you were a newbie :) We all have to ask our own fair share of questions at some point.

Osiris

#11 Stalkingwolf

Stalkingwolf

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:49 AM

Marius said:

2) Other units see the Troll vomit, and as an involuntairy reaction, they start to vomit as well. This triggers a chain reaction of puke, filling the entire warzone with lunch. Then everyone slips, dies and get dissolved in their own stomach content.

Thanks Marius...everyone walking by my office right now probably thinks I'm insane.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS