Photo

Speaking of change..are you ready for a lot more elves?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 4,792 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:21 PM

Since 2 breeds of elves, one breed of human (imperial), and one breed of dwarf will be in the new game, I think that we'll be seeing 200% more elves arriving on the shores of the Old World as PC's...

jh

#2 Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:54 PM

Or the same amount, divided...

But sure, new players always mean new elves.

#3 Fabs

Fabs

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

My Old World was always elf-light. Or rather I should say my Empire was rather elf-light. When I ran the Paths of the Damned, I removed the elfs in the introductory adventure as I felt it gave the players the wrong idea about elves for my game. I left them as evil wood spirits in the North, as my players were either bumbkins or Middenheimers. Once the moved to Altdorf/Nuln I left the one on the river boat in as Ifelt these were the right circles for the players to encounter them.

Or course, if you look at the Warhammer City for v1, you can see they are a lot more intergrated into the Empire in that version.

Maybe I need to introduce them back in a little more - but I think I'll still have them unwelcome in back waters

#4 Foolishboy

Foolishboy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

Most of my Players will pick Dwarf or Human anyway, to be honest Ogres and Halflings are more popular than Elves in my games. I don't like PC Halflings, new Players always want to play Halflings and then the player always gets bored of Halfling jokes within a few sessions and wants to play somethng else. That's always been my experience anyway.

The inclusion of two sets of Evles does make me wonder if this game is more combat heavy, because the weakness of Halflings has always been combat. So I wonder if Halflings have been removed because they would be at such a disadvantage in the new game. The positive reason for including two sets of Elves could be that FFG has finally decided to publish a decent amount of background information on Elves and intends to have quite a difference between Wood Elves and High Elves.

#5 Gilead te tuin lothain

Gilead te tuin lothain

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

Foolishboy said:

The positive reason for including two sets of Elves could be that FFG has finally decided to publish a decent amount of background information on Elves and intends to have quite a difference between Wood Elves and High Elves.

I do hope so.  Even if Elves aren't you thing, the game is lacking any real background information on them and new material can open up new areas for GMs to explore that they might not of done otherwise.

As it stands Halflings are to be incorperated later into the game.   The focus has always been on Imperial Humans with only WFRP2 ever really exploring outside of this region, but I exspect that WFRP3 will expand beyond the lands of the Empire or at least I hope so.  The biggest shock for me was Dwarf PC coming from only one Hold, not sure why they are limited in such a manner.

#6 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 888 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:23 AM

Players who wanted to play elves before will play elves now. I doubt many players who always played humans and dwarfs in the past will change their minds now. Halfling players will have to choose a new race until they buy the expansion, but I doubt they'll all play elves.

#7 ejacobs

ejacobs

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:42 AM

I don't see the deletion of the halflings from the core set as a bad thing.  I never saw them as a true "heroic" race overall.  Sure, a few here and there rose to greatness, but in the larger scheme of things, what has the race done?  Humans, dwarfs, high and wood elves all have armies in WFB and are more prone to heroics.  Where as the hob..halflings would rather stay in the moot and milk their tiny cows.

As an aside, elves have always been light in my games as well.  Humans in the empire see them as faerie folk bordering on witches in some parts. 

E

#8 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:13 AM

I always felt that "heroic" in WHFRP was a pretty loose term. You're playing dung shifters for god's sake. 

Having a bit more background on elves might make me hate them less...Or more...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS