• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:04 PM

Purple d8= Challenge/difficulty  (skull, crossed swords, 2 crossed swords, star)

Yellow d6 = Expertise/training (two-taiiled comet, blank, eagle, axe(s)

Blue d8= Characteristics (axe, blank, eagle)

Red d10= Reckless (stuff?)

Green d10= Conservative (stuff, axes, eagles, combos, blanks)

White d6= Fortune (axe, blank, eagle)

Black d6= Misfortune (crossed swords, blank, skull)

#2 kristof65

kristof65

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

WTF?

You're kidding me?  Geezus, my wife and a couple of my other players have a hard time remembering what stat to reference their d100 roll against, and they find WFRP 2e a heck of a lot easier than D&D.  They'll take one look at the number of dice, colors and symbols in the new edition and say "No F-ing way I'm gonna be able to remember all that", and not even be willing to try it.

#3 Blue Wizard

Blue Wizard

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

Green dice also with an hourglass over hammer, and what looks like an eagle over hammer.

Sounds like some symbols are used to help describe why something failed or succeeded, such as an hourglass meaning failed due to running out of time.  

#4 ejacobs

ejacobs

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:57 AM

the hourglass over a hammer doesn't mean failed, just that something else happened because you were dragging your feet on your way to success.  The hammers are always successes.  It leads to another interesting tidbit, the "pyrrhic victory" Jay mentioned in the videos.  What happened since you were moving too slow?  Might not be something that is obvious right away, or like was mentioned in the video, it could just be that you did succeed your sneaky walking attempt, but were too slow to get in position to overhear anything relevent.

E

#5 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:06 AM

Wow. I really hope they print a small factsheet to help us out when we're starting...

#6 Oathwin Oakheart

Oathwin Oakheart

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:17 AM

The dice seem like a two edged sword to me . . .

It will take a while for everyone to learn what all the symbols mean and just how to read all the different dice.

It will help add some depth to the game and get away from just plain old fail or pass tests.

I think FFG will take role-playing games in a new and intetesting direction with Warhammer Third Edition.

#7 Bludgeon

Bludgeon

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:23 AM

Hourglass means the task takes extra time, regardless of whether it is successful task or not.

#8 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

Crazy Aido said:

Wow. I really hope they print a small factsheet to help us out when we're starting...

Given that the action cards we've already seen show results based on images of the dice symbols, I don't think that's particularly unlikely - if (in combat) the card says you get a particular effect when you roll 3 hammers, and another if you get two eagles/griffons (whatever they are), then if you roll three hammers and two eagles, then those effects happen.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#9 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:00 AM

Yeah that's correct: every action card shows exactly what happens when you roll a certain number of symbols. Not much ambiguity, really.

The blue dice are the basic pool that you roll.

If your stance is on the Reckless or Reserved (?) dice, then you add one or more Red or Green dice to your pool (respectively).

The Red and Green dice are the same as the blue (hammers, eagles and blanks), except they also seem to have some extra symbols, like Hourglasses on the Green dice (which represent extra time taken in performing the action) and skulls on the Red Reckless dice (which represent misfortune or bad stuff because of acting without proper planning).

White dice I suppose are added for every Fortune Point added from the Party sheet. THe players might decide that the Elf REALLY needs to make this one glorious shot, so they decide to spend a few Fortune Points to give him a handful of extra white dice.

The black dice are the opposite of Fortune: perhaps the wizard rolled badly on Tzeentch's Curse and has to add a handfull of Black misfortune dice to all his actions for the rest of the day. Or something.

Or maybe the black dice are added due to unfavorable conditions, like criticals, harsh terrain or weather?

What were the yellow dice for again?

#10 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:02 AM

Necrozius said:

Skill

#11 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:07 AM

jadrax said:

Necrozius said:

Skill

I wonder how the yellow skill dice and the purple challenge dice will affect things...

#12 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,315 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:20 AM

Necrozius said:

I wonder how the yellow skill dice and the purple challenge dice will affect things...

Presumably the challenge dice make things harder (by having a number of symbols that result in negative effects) while the yellow ones make things easier.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#13 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:29 AM

Kinda starting to look like I'll need a Bs in cryptology to figure this stuff out.

Am I going to have to check a card/shett/book for every role of the dice?

#14 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:51 AM

CA, they're going to have a card for you :)

I think a lot of the "modifiers" that come up on the dice won't be used most of the time by the player or the GM, but in some instances I can see something interesting coming out of:  great success, hazard, performed quickly.  The description I guess that you can get out of it is similar to the D&D 4e cards where the card tells you what you did instead of the DM (which I didn't prefer actually).

jh

#15 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 04:58 AM

Phew!

But still, I always enjoyed describing it. Though I don't mind a little help...

Or do you actually mean I get my own card, specifically referenceing me?

Crazy Aido

Physical characteristics:

Undiscernable under facial hair.

Mental characteristics:

Don't go there!

Equipment:

Book(random), pocket watch. 50% chance not wearing trousers.

Insanities:

MIld fear of stairs. Addicted to tea.

#16 Necronomicus

Necronomicus

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:12 AM

I think Tarot cards are easier to interpret.

#17 Necronomicus

Necronomicus

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:13 AM

As a GM i like it, takes some of the work out of me describing the results of every roll. Its a lazy GM's dream come true LOL. It might be nice so I can focus on the players de railing my plot instead of describing every test result.

#18 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 05:38 AM

Here's a screenshot:  www.enworld.org/forum/4903847-post2.html of the dice mechanic breakdown. 

#19 Cynical Cat

Cynical Cat

• Members
  • 646 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

There's something like 6 symbols to learn and a whole lot of interpretation isn't required.  I didn't need anyone to tell me hammers were going to be good and skulls bad.  It's going to be easy.

Thanks for posting the dice picture and the character sheet.

#20 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,095 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:09 AM

Prior to this, I kind of relied on the "level of success" and just general description of the player to describe their actions.  So, if Noble-Hans is flirting with the Floozy in the Last Drop Tavern and got a high level of success, then I'd describe accordingly.

Trouble is, some players are pretty damn lazy and non-roleplayer so they say stuff like "I'd like to make a gossip check with the floozy."   Uhhhh...uhhhhh...derrrrr...duhhhhh  Nice roleplaying ;)

In this case you still have that, but it gives the GM more to work with in description.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS