Photo

So it's a week later. What do you think about the game now?

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 DagobahDave

DagobahDave

Laser Brain

• Members
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

Just curious what you think or feel about the game now that we've had some time to let everything sink in. Here you're welcome to rant, rave or anything in between. I'm gonna just watch. But I'll start.

I liked the idea of a new game system to begin with, and I still do.

What about you?

Join the Unofficial X-Wing Galactic Campaign and propel your favorite faction toward victory every time you play!

#2 Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:50 PM

First I was shocked, than became corious, and now I'm excited and hopeful. I think of it not as WFRP3, but as "the other Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay" - it is both "Warhammer Fantasy" and a "Roleplaying game", but different from what I've known as WFRP. I'm already used to it, that many times a new edition of an RPG is a different product, not an improved reprint of the previous one.

I have my WFRP2 books, and a little ongoing campaign, and I'm happy with it. I'll also have my WFRP3 box(es), and so far, I like the stuff, and my players are also excited. Can't wait to put my hands on the stuff. My only problem is, that the box seems to be a bit huge at first glance, but I'll surely find a way, to transport it easily to the other half of the city.

#3 Foolishboy

Foolishboy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:51 PM

I feel the same as before:

>Upset that WFRPv2 has ended, because there were several books I wanted to be printed.

>Upset that FFG would not tell the fans that WFRPv3 was in the mix, even after some very strong rumors.

>I have a lot of concerns over the new game, which nobody has done anything to allay.

>I am willing to keep an open mind and may well try the new game.

>I still think this game could go either way, it could remain true to the grim and perilous WFRP world, attract new fans and be a fantastic game or it may well be the final death of WFRP.

#4 Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Foolishboy said:

>Upset that FFG would not tell the fans that WFRPv3 was in the mix, even after some very strong rumors.

It's okay, that there is a period of secrecy around the development of a new game, but telling us, that it's done and coming soon, a quarter year before it's release is just wrong. Especially, with that "Rat Catcher's Tale" campaign, which surely caused confusion and sleepless nights among fans - even more, than the dice pools and quick-reference cards...

#5 macd21

macd21

• Members
  • 915 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

I was initially unimpressed with the dice and cards, fearing a DnD 4 clone, but having looked at it more closely I believe that the system isn't anything like 4ed and has some interesting possibilities. It could be a great system, depends on the details.

I still have some other concerns, the most important one being character creation and the number of careers.

#6 42!

42!

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

I'm still very optimistic about the game and will definately buy it.

I am also looking forward to some more hard facts about the game and hope FFG will start spoiling us soon, so rumours don't take over again.

42!

#7 egalor

egalor

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:07 PM

First, I was happy to see that mystery resolved.

Second, I'm always extremely interested about anything that concerns WFRP, so my curiousity knew no bounds, although I have had and still have certain reservations as regards the v3 playability.

After I've learned that we'll have to wait till the end of the year (and considering FFG trend to be rather too optimistic as regards their release schedule - probably even more), I have had to switch my curiousity to standby mode. I only hope there will be many previews to discuss.

And up to that time- it's just a lot of rant, nothing else.

#8 Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:15 PM

Apathetic, still not interested in purchasing it but I can see why its been done, even if not why it was done the way it was.

#9 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:20 PM

I was shocked, now I am curious. I want to see an independent review of the game.

I still think FFG should have their marketing school money back though. Keep yer promisses!

#10 Lupinorc

Lupinorc

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Funnily enough, given that there is no new information that actually tells us anything, I still feel the same.

Marketing wise I seriously doubt this was the best way to do it. I'm certainly not too sold on the idea of the new system from (let's face it) what little we have been told.

I still feel we need to see this game in action (or better yet play a demo), but if it was only a prototype shown at GenCon and the finished product is still at least a quarter away (which given FFG's past performance, will most likely be extended. Not a complaint, the finished products are often of awesome quality and I would much rather wait for awesome than get chaff quickly) I can't see either happening for a long time.

Shame really. As I have said to one of my RL mates who frequents these forums, if after playing this new version I find that it is great, is a much better way of roleplaying in the warhammer world and is a fine example of awesome, I will staunchly advocate it to everyone I know (and some I don't!).

But, I will not spend nearly £90 (cost to import to the UK at the moment, who knows how much it'll be to buy from a retailer over here when it is released) to try it. This is still a high price, no ifs, no buts, no "consider the content". I cannot afford to spend that much in one go at the moment. Please consider that to play a game of Dark Heresy (assuming I don't already have all the books) I would only have to spend £35 to £40 and my mates and I could play a game. No, we do not NEED to buy any other book to play a campaign, ALL other books are supplementary. Yes all the other books will add to the game and quite possible increase our enjoyment, but, bottom line, I do not NEED to spend over £40 to play a game of Dark Heresy.

Hell, I don't actually NEED to spend any money, as I can download a couple of demo adventures off the net.

Don't get me wrong, I will scrimp and scrounge to save £90 to buy a game I know I like. But to try a new game that I have reservations about ... 

#11 jadrax

jadrax

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

Lupinorc said:

I still feel we need to see this game in action (or better yet play a demo), but if it was only a prototype shown at GenCon and the finished product is still at least a quarter away (which given FFG's past performance, will most likely be extended. Not a complaint, the finished products are often of awesome quality and I would much rather wait for awesome than get chaff quickly) I can't see either happening for a long time.

I wish we could get a clear story on this, I have seen at least two people post they saw people playing it at Gencon.

#12 lordmalachdrim

lordmalachdrim

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:44 AM

I was shocked at the change when it was announced and since then I've not been convinced that it's going to be anything my group or I will enjoy. The deception around the release of the game has moved FFG even farther down my list of companies I'll buy from.

(deception)

Emails sent since the aquisition of the lisencse asking about reprinting of books responeded to with "We are going to reprint some but not all. And we can't announce which ones until Marketing gives the go ahead." This was the response I got every 4 months until the release of the books on PDF when it changed to "We are not going to reprint any of them." And then there Jay Little saying that more is in the works leading I and many others it seems to believe there were new 2nd Ed books coming out.

I'll probably stop in again in a month or so and see if anything's changed otherwise if you're looking for me I can be found over on the Kenzer Boards.

#13 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:47 AM

Yep, I strongly recommend anny official FFG people who reads this to get some users and make a review of a playing session soon. :-)

#14 Necrozius

Necrozius

• Members
  • 947 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 02:02 AM

Oh definitely excited from the start. It seems exactly like the kind of rpg experience my friends and I were looking for (less book-keeping, potentially streamlined combat system).

The lack of a halfling character race doesn't bother, nor does it bother my players. HOWEVER, after reading all the posts defending halflings and what kinds of roleplaying possibilities are possible with them... I'm very curious, and am having an urge to try them out next time I play WFRP 2.

#15 Varnias Tybalt

Varnias Tybalt

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 05:41 AM

Im just as ambivalent towards it as I was from the beginning. It could be fun, it could be crap. I can't say yet, I'll have to wait until it shows up. But suffice to say that it has awoken more interest in my than the two previous editions have...

#16 donbaloo

donbaloo

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 06:39 AM

Even as a nonplayer of Warhammer I was initially excited and intrigued just hearing the rumors of v3.  The GenCon reports amplified this as I really like the sound of the cards, dice, etc for fascilitating a streamlined feel.  My two potential game groups are both four counting myself so the news of it being designed around 3 players and a GM, whether true or not, really REALLY excite me.  And assuming quality materials, as I would from FFG, the price tag is very bearable.

The catching point for me will be the tone that FFG gives Warhammer. I dont' have much time these days for campaign creation and such so I'll be very interested in whatever adventure materials they put out and hope that they're not fully on rails.  If the tone trends towards high fantasy of heroic nature, I'll probably not buy in.  So I'll have to wait and see the campaign adventure they mentioned before deciding on buying into the system at all.

#17 Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

I am hoping to see English spelling and not American, dont you dare leave out those U's FFG!

#18 Foolishboy

Foolishboy

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

Artaxerxes said:

I am hoping to see English spelling and not American, dont you dare leave out those U's FFG!

Sadly I think WFRPv3 may well feature the Color system of magic, dreamed up by a rubbish Elf.

#19 Guntar of Nuln

Guntar of Nuln

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Myself, I'm still on the v1,5-fence. It better be pretty darn mindbogglingly good if I'm buying it.

But I look forward to seeing it, and it's supplements.

#20 ymrar

ymrar

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Reading about the details available (not a lot) it seems the mechanic does not offer the freedom our group likes. So I will be checking what are the first supplements coming out. If FFG starts with the "WotC act" of updating all the old books, I wont need to buy any of them.

On the other hand, if the supplements turn out to be good I will have to see if changing them to v2 is too much of a hassle. If not, I'll start buying them as usual.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS