what happened to ratcatcher's tale?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Omnicrazzy

Omnicrazzy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:36 PM

The other day there was a new forum just for the ratcatcher's tale (I was never clear why it needed it's own forum rather than maybe a sub forum here, but that's off topic)

where'd it get to?

well who cares right? It's just a few rat catcher's gone missing, that happens all the time. Nothing to worry about.

#2 lordmalachdrim

lordmalachdrim

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

Rat Catchers tail was a hoax and just another attempt by ffg to obscure details about this abomination that they are calling wfrp.

#3 sudden real

sudden real

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:52 PM

A Ratcatcher's Tale was (an attempt at) a marketing campaign for WFRP v3. It got a lot of criticism (such as hoax) but it showed (or should have showed) what kind of world the new setting would be. It would have worked (better), if FFG had done something like this from the start (and thus not have published something for v2), since fans were already speculating a v3 since then (maybe the -bleep-storm would have been less).

#4 Knight Panther

Knight Panther

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

sudden real said:

It got a lot of criticism (such as hoax) but it showed (or should have showed) what kind of world the new setting would be.

BTW does anybody know at what time V3 takes place? V1 was before SoC, V2 was a few days after SoC and V3??

#5 Ravenheart87

Ravenheart87

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:30 PM

Knight Panther said:

sudden real said:

BTW does anybody know at what time V3 takes place? V1 was before SoC, V2 was a few days after SoC and V3??

From the Description, it seems to be either not too long before the Storm of Chaos, or it's after the Storm, and some before something awful...

#6 sudden real

sudden real

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Ravenheart87 said:

From the Description, it seems to be either not too long before the Storm of Chaos, or it's after the Storm, and some before something awful...

I think it was mentioned somewhere that Jay said at GenCon that the general consensus during development was "Storm of Chaos? What's that?" so I think it's before SoC (which should make a lot of fans happy :P).

#7 egalor

egalor

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:59 PM

Ravenheart87 said:

Knight Panther said:

sudden real said:

Ravenheart87 said:

Knight Panther said:

sudden real said:

Logic dictates, that v3 would be after the events of v2, because doubtless many people would want to continue playing with their old PCs by converting them to the new rules.

#8 GreyLord

GreyLord

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:45 PM

I think the point was actually that the forum for Ratcatcher's tale...and ALL posts in it...simply...vanished...gone with the wind...

Which is actually standard FFG fare when they are done with a product or item.

Makes you feel good about the future of the WFRP v2 forums doesn't it!

NOT!

#9 sudden real

sudden real

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:00 PM

GreyLord said:

I think the point was actually that the forum for Ratcatcher's tale...and ALL posts in it...simply...vanished...gone with the wind...

But RCT wasn't a product of FFG, but part of the marketing campaign for WFRP 3.

#10 GreyLord

GreyLord

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 05:23 AM

sudden real said:

GreyLord said:

But RCT wasn't a product of FFG, but part of the marketing campaign for WFRP 3.

You're still missing the point. 

To help point you in the right direction...were'd all the posts in that forum go?  They seem to have...just disappeared.  Like it never happened.  Just like all those other wonderful games of their past...and other things they've had in the forums...disappear.

Need all the new room for new posts afterall...can't have the 10% full server overcrowded now.

#11 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:51 AM

sudden real said:

Ravenheart87 said:

I think it was mentioned somewhere that Jay said at GenCon that the general consensus during development was "Storm of Chaos? What's that?" so I think it's before SoC (which should make a lot of fans happy :P).

That might also be because GW is deliberately pulling back from the Storm of Chaos - the most recent few WFB armybooks treat it as something on the verge of happening rather than something that has just happened.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#12 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

That might also be because GW is deliberately pulling back from the Storm of Chaos - the most recent few WFB armybooks treat it as something on the verge of happening rather than something that has just happened.

Sounds like it's more a case of "revisiting" than "pulling back".

#13 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

Herr Arnulfe said:

Sounds like it's more a case of "revisiting" than "pulling back".

Not really; GW seems to prefer their settings to be set to "one minute to midnight" (similar can be seen in 40k: the current 40k timeline sets Abaddon's 13th Black Crusade - the last setting-influencing global campaign - as starting in the last hours of the 41st Millennium, with no other events listed after it. As far as the timeline is concerned, it's only just starting 'now', rather than being a past event), with a looming end-of-days rather than an anticlimactic almost-apocalpse. The ending of the Storm of Chaos was so poorly-recieved (though I didn't mind it personally, and have pushed my campaign a couple of years beyond those events) primarily because it didn't do anything to the setting, and GW are (from comments and statements made back when they had official forums) generally quite unwilling to use their settings as advancing metaplot, preferring instead a static backdrop for all kinds of player-originated mayhem (because a static backdrop that people can set their conflicts against is easier to sell to licencees). It's why the Nemesis Crown campaign - the WFB global campaign after Storm of Chaos, isn't in any particular point within the setting's timeline and has not had any residual influence on the ongoing narrative.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer,Ark of Lost Souls, and Hammer of the Emperor

I no longer write for, or am employed by, Fantasy Flight Games in any fashion. All of my comments are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of any employer, past, present, or future.

#14 Herr Arnulfe

Herr Arnulfe

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

As far as the timeline is concerned, it's only just starting 'now', rather than being a past event), with a looming end-of-days rather than an anticlimactic almost-apocalpse.

I guess that's sort of what I meant; instead of putting SoC behind them, GW is rewinding the timeline so we can play through the apocalypse again.

#15 Dreary_Angel

Dreary_Angel

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:41 AM

I know that maybe someone could not agree with me... but I would really love to see a re-edition of the Enemy Within Campaign if the 3rd edition is worth it :P

#16 Omnicrazzy

Omnicrazzy

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 01:33 PM

Well I'm not huge up on the WF side (only having read like 5 books), but I know that there's several books and things that have vague hints about the future of the 40k universe.

for example: the Commissar Cain series is a set of memoires he wrote that have been compiled to make a story rather than random bunch of ramblings by his Inquisitor buddy Amberly. They dont talk about any details after the black crusade, but the fact that it's been compiled afterwards means that apparently someone is still alive right? Oh, and it indicates in the first book that he survived long enough to die of too much good living or something, so the black crusade didn't kill him ether.

I've also seen snippets and quotes (you know the kind GW loves to use) that have been atrubuted to sources dated up to 150 M42 (that would be year 41150, and dont quote me on that number, it might have been 157 or something)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS