Photo

WHFRP 2nd Edition Books compatible with this edition?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Xmorph

Xmorph

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:06 AM

Hello,

I just ordered a lot of books for my 2nd edition (14! books) and wondering does these "old" books work fine together with upcoming edition? This new dice system and everything looks interesting and can´t wait to get this edition as well.

Cheers

#2 Varnias Tybalt

Varnias Tybalt

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:14 AM

Well, since the 3rd edition seems to contain a major overhaul of the rules I don't think the 2nd edition rules and game mechanics will be that compatible with the 3rd edition.

Of course FFG might pleasantly surprise us all in providing an appendix chapter explaining how to do a proper conversion, but I wouldn't hold my breath over it.

Still both editions are still RPG's and I don't think it will be that hard to convert some relevant rules and mechanics yourself. (this is largely a DIY-hobby after all).

As for the fluff and game world it's still the same world, so I'd expect everything to be fully compatible in that regard...

#3 Xmorph

Xmorph

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

That´s true. What I usually want as GM from these expansion books are mostly information about cities, maps etc. Also game mecs doesen´t matter that much for adventures. Of course you can get these online too, but book is a book  

I sure hope there will be some information how to use 2nd edition stuff with this one. And who knows if players still like 2nd edition better, but I am getting this edition as well and figure out how things work.

#4 Varnias Tybalt

Varnias Tybalt

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

Xmorph said:

That´s true. What I usually want as GM from these expansion books are mostly information about cities, maps etc. Also game mecs doesen´t matter that much for adventures. Of course you can get these online too, but book is a book  

I sure hope there will be some information how to use 2nd edition stuff with this one. And who knows if players still like 2nd edition better, but I am getting this edition as well and figure out how things work.

I couldn't agree with you more. Adventures, and game world fluff is what helps roleplaying and GM:ing the most for me. Mechanics and rules are pretty much interchangeable between, not only editions, but entire RPG's made by different companies.

While some rules systems can be harder to convert than others (due to their pesky design), I have yet to encounter a system that is completely impossible to convert to another game.

However, as you've might have noticed on this forum about this 3rd edition, most players don't agree with me. They seem to want everything served fresh on a silver platter (just my perception and not meant as an insult).

It's a shame really that most of them don't seem to share my point of view on RPG's in general. My view provides a pretty solid guarantee that you'll never be affected by gaming companies doing drastic rule changes to different editions.

#5 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:50 AM

Hear, hear; convert - convert and use your imagination, that is a natural part of the RPG hobby :-)

#6 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:04 AM

Warhammer is light on rules and heavy on background. All the background can be used and that is the most important stuff. I guess rules on spells and special rules such as mutations will be harder to convert than stats on npc's and creatures, but I don't know that yet.

#7 Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:17 AM

Dirach said:

Warhammer is light on rules and heavy on background. All the background can be used and that is the most important stuff. I guess rules on spells and special rules such as mutations will be harder to convert than stats on npc's and creatures, but I don't know that yet.

True but its all change in 3rd edition ;)

*flees*

#8 Gilead te tuin lothain

Gilead te tuin lothain

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 09:12 AM

To be fair we might find something of use within the rules or at least concepts that could be developed for use with WFRP2.

The only thing I can look forward to at the moment is the release of expansions that might cover areas that WFRP2 did not, such as Elves, Dwarfs, Greenskins, Tilea, Estalia, etc.  Give me background on areas as yet unexplored and I'll be happy!

#9 Nahuris

Nahuris

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:43 AM

Varnias Tybalt said:

Xmorph said:

I couldn't agree with you more. Adventures, and game world fluff is what helps roleplaying and GM:ing the most for me. Mechanics and rules are pretty much interchangeable between, not only editions, but entire RPG's made by different companies.

While some rules systems can be harder to convert than others (due to their pesky design), I have yet to encounter a system that is completely impossible to convert to another game.

However, as you've might have noticed on this forum about this 3rd edition, most players don't agree with me. They seem to want everything served fresh on a silver platter (just my perception and not meant as an insult).

It's a shame really that most of them don't seem to share my point of view on RPG's in general. My view provides a pretty solid guarantee that you'll never be affected by gaming companies doing drastic rule changes to different editions.

Actually, I also agree with this.... I've just taken to referring to 3rd edition as the Tzeench version --- it's mutating...

Nahuris

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS