• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

Hello everyone,

Just a little thread for the FFG staff. You people seem to run a fine company and put your energy where it needs to be: development of great games and supplements. People talk about failed marketing and whatnot as if RPGs had multimillion dollar budget marketing campaigns !

We fans are really hard on you. But we love the game enormously. So I guess that can be seen as a compensation. Most of us will be there to buy V3, no doubt. And if it is any good, we'll buy the whole range !

Up to now, I like what FFG is doing with other games, so I'm just being patient and waiting to see the actual product.

Keep up the good work and long live WFRP.

———
The time of change has come!

#2 Istivan

Istivan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:06 PM

I approve of this thread.

#3 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:54 AM

Istivan said:

I approve of this thread.

What he said!

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#4 Dirach

Dirach

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

i support this thread aswell. You do a good job Jay and th erest of FFG.

#5 HedgeWizard

HedgeWizard

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

I can understand why people might be hesitant or mistrusting of such a significant change to their beloved system/setting (and I've been with WFRP since 1986 myself). 

What I don't understand is how people can have such a negative opinion without having learned more about the game, particularly when you know more details are forthcoming. Thank god for FFG being a proactive developer, and thankfully we're in the age of the internet where info is abundant. 10 or more years ago, you never would have known about the new direction, no sneak peaks, no threads to gripe on. 

This is a major change, abandoning v2 so soon*, and it does look like a major shift in the mechanics, but that may not be a bad thing. I am absolutely intrigued to see the system in action. And I will withhold my opinions about the change until I've had a chance to learn more. 

I'd love to see a more in-depth video with Jay talking about the changes, the new mechanics, and showcasing the new components. It sounds like they're working on making the talk from Gen Con available. Which is a great move on their part. 

* is it "so soon?" I am not entirely certain. And I bet FFG knows much more about the market (trends, interests, etc) than most of us do. This could be a very good thing in bringing more people to the hobby in general and the WFRP universe specifically. 

#6 Storm Wolf

Storm Wolf

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:27 AM

I'm looking forward to V3 coming out and am very pleased with the different games FFG has produced for the Warhammer world.

#7 Belzad

Belzad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:04 PM

As someone, who has played 1st edition WHRP and never played 2nd edition, I am looking forward to the new 3rd edition. I actually, like the idea of the cards.

#8 Ye Ancient One

Ye Ancient One

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:01 PM

I second the motion.  I reckon Jay must feel like the owner of a kindergarten for the deranged.

#9 phobiandarkmoon

phobiandarkmoon

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

"People talk about marketing campaigns as if they were multi-billion dollar campaigns"

Really? So I suppose that invalidates the opinion that the first things added to the website (which pretty much is the marketing campaign from our perspective, remember) were so alienating to the old crowd?

Because that's what most of us mean by that being bungled - a lot of my original instinctual disdain was from the information that were going to be radical changes to the system and no information on what those changes actually do mechanically. I have no idea how the new system will work, only that it will operate very differently from what I know and cost a lot.

And that might be OK 10 years ago. But in the internet age, when you present information people will get to it very quickly. If you're not updating the site regularly, we begin to think nothing else is coming, and at that point you lose everyone who was wary of change to start with.

THAT is what we mean by bungling the marketing. Not all of us could go to gen con, so I'm looking forward to actually getting information at some point to try and make an informed decision on if I like the new system. A gameplay video would be excellent.

#10 Armrek

Armrek

• Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:41 PM

Yep, that's right! We need that session report on how the game is played...

#11 Steerpike

Steerpike

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

HedgeWizard said:

I can understand why people might be hesitant or mistrusting of such a significant change to their beloved system/setting (and I've been with WFRP since 1986 myself). 

What I don't understand is how people can have such a negative opinion without having learned more about the game, particularly when you know more details are forthcoming. Thank god for FFG being a proactive developer, and thankfully we're in the age of the internet where info is abundant. 10 or more years ago, you never would have known about the new direction, no sneak peaks, no threads to gripe on.

* is it "so soon?" I am not entirely certain. And I bet FFG knows much more about the market (trends, interests, etc) than most of us do. This could be a very good thing in bringing more people to the hobby in general and the WFRP universe specifically. 

We won't know until the product is released or until we get a lot more information, of course.  Could be something that most of the current players will love; might be something that keeps a lot of people turning to their 2e materials.  I can't tell yet from what has been said about the new version.

Bringing in more people to the hobby is a mixed bag.  It's good, of course, for the company and perhaps for the hobby as a whole.  But on the other hand if things change so substantially that existing players no longer like the game or want to play it, then it isn't relevant to them whether there are thousands of new people in the game, because they've moved on (or been left behind as the case may be).  What I'm saying, I guess, is just because they may know market trends and how to follow them doesn't necessarily mean they're going to come out with a 'good' game.  Good is subjective and popular does not always mean good.

I'm taking a wait an see approach, though I enjoy the speculation in here as much as the next person.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS